The Detroit Pistons

I couldn't have said it better myself.

They had their fair share of chances to win games 2, 4, and 5, but inexperience and turnovers ended those chances.

Although, its obvious that the overly-physical play of the Pistons led to those poor descisions and turnovers.

I forget where I heard it/read it, but one of the media covering the series said the best thing for Orlando would be to get a true, strong power forward to give Howard some inside help, keep Hedo at SF, move Rashard Lewis to SG and have Evans and Bogans come off the bench. I tend to agree, because you could see Hedo and Lewis were overmatched against the Pistons as they played out of position.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The officials once again let the Pistons get away with beating up on Howard late in tonight's game, but that was far from the reason they got eliminated. They couldn't hit a free throw, turned the ball over like crazy, and the Pistons generally played with much more poise and confidence than Orlando. I am hoping that it was a great learning experience for the Magic, because some guys were absolutely awful at times tonight - bad decisions with the ball, bad shot selections, not boxing out and standing around watching the Pistons grab a ton of offensive rebounds. Hedo, once again, drove me nuts. In this series he looked pretty much nothing like the guy we've seen play most of the year.

I still think they are a pretty good team, they just played with a lot of immaturity at times. Need to get a little more help for Howard inside and maybe a veteran to come in and settle the young guys down when they get all hyper.

21 vs 3....officials have NOTHING to do with turnovers...that was the game...oh yeah and the free throws, Pistons were on, even without Billups.

Now I know how the Pats fans feel when they read some posts around here. :blink:

I forget where I heard it/read it, but one of the media covering the series said the best thing for Orlando would be to get a true, strong power forward to give Howard some inside help, keep Hedo at SF, move Rashard Lewis to SG and have Evans and Bogans come off the bench. I tend to agree, because you could see Hedo and Lewis were overmatched against the Pistons as they played out of position.

The Magic were without Tony Battie this year because of rotatar cuff surgery. In fact, he tried to come back for the playoffs, but just wasn't ready. The plan is exactly what you outlined in your post, except Lewis at SF and Hedo at SG when Battie is back. I also hope they use their mid-level cap execption on another big man who can bring more toughness and physicality to the team as well.

21 vs 3....officials have NOTHING to do with turnovers...that was the game...oh yeah and the free throws, Pistons were on, even without Billups.

Now I know how the Pats fans feel when they read some posts around here. :blink:

Didn't really read past the first 1/2 of the first sentence, did you?

The officials once again let the Pistons get away with beating up on Howard late in tonight's game, but that was far from the reason they got eliminated. They couldn't hit a free throw, turned the ball over like crazy, and the Pistons generally played with much more poise and confidence than Orlando. I am hoping that it was a great learning experience for the Magic, because some guys were absolutely awful at times tonight - bad decisions with the ball, bad shot selections, not boxing out and standing around watching the Pistons grab a ton of offensive rebounds. Hedo, once again, drove me nuts. In this series he looked pretty much nothing like the guy we've seen play most of the year.

I still think they are a pretty good team, they just played with a lot of immaturity at times. Need to get a little more help for Howard inside and maybe a veteran to come in and settle the young guys down when they get all hyper.

The Magic were without Tony Battie this year because of rotatar cuff surgery. In fact, he tried to come back for the playoffs, but just wasn't ready. The plan is exactly what you outlined in your post, except Lewis at SF and Hedo at SG when Battie is back. I also hope they use their mid-level cap execption on another big man who can bring more toughness and physicality to the team as well.

BTW, this is the worst part of the year for me in terms of sports.......the time from the end of the Magic season until the Bills start training camp. :blink:

so have you adopted another team to root for? My second team is the Hornets...gotta love that team.

I'm just south of Cleveland, so the Cavs are my de facto "second favorite" team. Always fun watching LeBron.

:thumbsup:

I liked Barkley when he played and LeBron has that same "train barreling down the tracks" mentality Chuck had when he drove the basket...plus his court vision is unreal, some of the passes he makes leaves me shaking my head.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

They had their fair share of chances to win games 2, 4, and 5, but inexperience and turnovers ended those chances.

Although, its obvious that the overly-physical play of the Pistons led to those poor descisions and turnovers.

It seems like Howard is a little scared of the pressure...what is the Turk doing taking the clutch shots? What are they paying Howard and Lewis for? Stan Van has to come up with something better than that. I like the Magic okay, but they have the same problem (I think) my Celtics are having...lots of good players, but no money guy...you gotta have someone who wants the ball down the stretch...I am afraid the friggin' Pistons are going to win the East... :thumbsup:

It seems like Howard is a little scared of the pressure...what is the Turk doing taking the clutch shots? What are they paying Howard and Lewis for? Stan Van has to come up with something better than that. I like the Magic okay, but they have the same problem (I think) my Celtics are having...lots of good players, but no money guy...you gotta have someone who wants the ball down the stretch...I am afraid the friggin' Pistons are going to win the East... :thumbsup:

They are reluctant to go to Howard down the stretch because his FT shooting is so bad (career 60% FT shoot, was around 54% in the playoffs this year) and as was noted earlier in the thread, Hedo has been "Mr. 4th Quarter" this year for the Magic - although he made some very bad decisions and took some very bad shots in the playoffs.

Even though Dwight has been dominant at times this year, he is still very young and raw. Right now he is just that much more athletic than most of the league, which is why he plays so well for much of the season. It's not surprising that he struggles against teams like Detroit, who have three, four big, physical, athletic guys to rotate in and out against him, bang him around and employ the "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy.

They are reluctant to go to Howard down the stretch because his FT shooting is so bad (career 60% FT shoot, was around 54% in the playoffs this year) and as was noted earlier in the thread, Hedo has been "Mr. 4th Quarter" this year for the Magic - although he made some very bad decisions and took some very bad shots in the playoffs.

Even though Dwight has been dominant at times this year, he is still very young and raw. Right now he is just that much more athletic than most of the league, which is why he plays so well for much of the season. It's not surprising that he struggles against teams like Detroit, who have three, four big, physical, athletic guys to rotate in and out against him, bang him around and employ the "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy.

I like Howard and respect him alot, but the Magic don't have a team like the Pistons do...they aren't built around any one player, they have alot of interchangeble parts that can be swapped in and out and the unit still functions. That is why they are there year after year...no true super stars, but as a unit they are superior to most teams in the league. They problem they have is taking teams lightly and then they just look ugly.

For as much as people dislike the Pistons, I seriously doubt they would reject having any of the starting 5 on their team.

BTW I like Lebron, but he's becoming a bit of a drama queen lately, like after that clothesline. :thumbsup: I still prefer Chris Paul, but I'm sure he'll change too.

For as much as people dislike the Pistons, I seriously doubt they would reject having any of the starting 5 on their team.

I hate the Pistons, but my hatred is based mainly in the 1980's teams of Isaih Thomas...I still hate them (like any good sports fan would do), but I think the Pistons and the Spurs have really spearheaded the rerturn to "team" basketball that had gone away...for that, I respect the current incarnation of the team.

so have you adopted another team to root for? My second team is the Hornets...gotta love that team.

Is anyone else getting a little worried that there is going to be another Spurs/Pistons Finals in our future?

For me, (and numerous others), that would be a completely unwatchable seires.

Is anyone else getting a little worried that there is going to be another Spurs/Pistons Finals in our future?

Magic are out, Cavs are out...by default (anti-Pistons) I guess I am rooting for the Celtics to come out of the East and the Spurs to come out of the West - and I hope the Spurs spank them in the finals, just to shut up all the d-bag Boston-area band wagoners.

Celtics-Lakers. The NBA (currently) allows the refs the most influence over the games of any sport. Somehow, magically, it will be Boston - LA. Go Celts!!!!