The Detroit Pistons

Well put.

The Pistons get all the calls, wether at home or on the road. It seems as though they have earned the respect of the officials because of their hard-nosed throwback style of play.

I mean, if they are going to let you get away with it, why not do it.

However, when the opponent(the Magic, Celtics, etc.) adapt a "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" philosophy, and try to match the physicality of the Pistons, they are immediately called for fouls for the same "tough play" the Pistons are constantly getting away with.

That said, the only player on the Pistons I consider a dirty player is Rip. The other players just push the envelope up to a point where the refs just let it go.

I don't even think that the Pistons are all that dirty, as a whole, it just seems that their oppenents (at least in this Celtics series) aren't given anywhere near the leeway by the officials. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were both interfered with, down the stretch of last nights game, when the Celtics were having their surge toward the end of the game. Pierce was slashed on the arm as he was shooting, and Allen was shoved just as he was winding up for a shot. Both put up air balls. Kobi Bryant, LeBron James, and anyone else would have likely gotten those calls. And then, to top it off, the Pistons got away with a monster offensive charge, to help them nip the comeback by the Celtics. I won't even mention the crappy goaltending call against Garnett...it may have been a "good call", as the rule states, but it is a stupid rule...to me, it was a great defensive play. Oh well...I still think the Celtics shut everyone up, and win one of these next two in Detroit...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm a bit biased because I'm a big Orlando Magic fan, and maybe I'm just venting a bit, but this team is awfully full of themselves for a team who has only won one championship in their current run of success. Not to mention that the one championship was against a dysfunctional Lakers team who came into the series overconfident.

The bump, they push, they elbow, they get in players faces, and they get in ref's faces and they get away with it.

Theo Ratliff is even trash talking--and I was thinking..."dude, I didn't even know you were still in the league..STFU!!"

The malfunctioning clock at the end of the third quarter of game 2 and the allowing of that 3 pointer was a horrendous call reminiscent of calls that have gone against the Bills in the past.

Going to the game tonight.

Here's to hoping the Magic can get back into this series with a win tonight! :lol::wub:

I'm pretty indifferent towards them. I mean yeah they're full of it but so were the Kings in their heyday and they never won squat. I also think it's pure hindsight to detract from their dismantling of the Lakers given that none of that stuff ever hurt them vs. mediocre 76ers/Nets teams. Besides, any overconfidence should've been washed away when they needed a buzzer beater from Kobe to salvage a split in the first 2 games in LA. I kinda liked that particular team because they're the only NBA team since the 70's that ever won the whole thing without a mega-superstar (seriously - think about it). The old Isiah/Laimbeer teams otoh were first rate scumbags.

To paraphrase one of my favorite TBD posters, as of late:

Yea!!

I thought you were gonna say: :rolleyes:

As for the game, its a good thing the Celts had such a large lead, because it looked like they had no answer for the

1-2-2 zone Detriot was using.

BTW, I finally realize that I like something about the Pistons: their public address announcer, Mason. Hands down, the best in the business.

I don't really think they get that many calls. They bother me when they don't seem to try. When they're actually focused they are probably the best team in the league. They've basically adopted Rasheed Wallace's personality - as good as it gets, but puts forth full effort about half the time.

It's a Best-of-Three series now, so Detroit will have to steal another one in Boston...

Kudos to the Pistons. That was about as great a defensive basketball game I have seen any team play, from the opening tip off to the final buzzer. They are near impossible to beat when they play the way they are capable of. Much as I love the Celtics, I am not sure that there isn't something wrong with them (mentally!) that they can overcome in the next week.

I am not conceding anything, because the Pistons are just as capable of having a horrendous shooting night as the Celts are (see tonights' game), but I don't think the home court advantage will mean anything to the Pistons in these final three games. If they are truly "hungry" they will win.

Anyway, dissapointing game for the Celtics. The foul line kept them in the game. I think it is getting painfully evident that the Celtics "Big Three" is actually a "Big Two". Ray Allen (aka Jesus Shuttleworth) has been horrible all playoffs. I am starting to think he is not going to "find his game" this season. Whats' worse, on top of missing all of his shots, he is starting to play tentative, and soft. Why the !@#$ he tried to pass to Garnett, when he was driving to the hoop, very late in the game, with a chance to make it a 3 point game, is beyond me. He is choking big time. He is playing scared.

Incidently, this reminded me a lot of a Memorial Day playoff game the Celts/Pistons played in Detroit, back in the day (around 1984)...except in that game, both teams shot horrendously, and Boston managed to win...at the time, I think it was one of the lowest scoring playoff games in NBA history. IIRC the Celtics won, something like 69-59...

Kudos to the Pistons. That was about as great a defensive basketball game I have seen any team play, from the opening tip off to the final buzzer. They are near impossible to beat when they play the way they are capable of. Much as I love the Celtics, I am not sure that there isn't something wrong with them (mentally!) that they can overcome in the next week.

I am not conceding anything, because the Pistons are just as capable of having a horrendous shooting night as the Celts are (see tonights' game), but I don't think the home court advantage will mean anything to the Pistons in these final three games. If they are truly "hungry" they will win.

Anyway, dissapointing game for the Celtics. The foul line kept them in the game. I think it is getting painfully evident that the Celtics "Big Three" is actually a "Big Two". Ray Allen (aka Jesus Shuttleworth) has been horrible all playoffs. I am starting to think he is not going to "find his game" this season. Whats' worse, on top of missing all of his shots, he is starting to play tentative, and soft. Why the !@#$ he tried to pass to Garnett, when he was driving to the hoop, very late in the game, with a chance to make it a 3 point game, is beyond me. He is choking big time. He is playing scared.

Incidently, this reminded me a lot of a Memorial Day playoff game the Celts/Pistons played in Detroit, back in the day (around 1984)...except in that game, both teams shot horrendously, and Boston managed to win...at the time, I think it was one of the lowest scoring playoff games in NBA history. IIRC the Celtics won, something like 69-59...

Yea!!

Missed most of the game but was honestly surprised it was as close as it was when I turned it on in the 4th Qtr. I was kinda expecting the Celtics to put one foot on the plane after Game 3 and mail in that game completely as the Lakers did the other night.

Oh man. Refs bail the Lakeshow out of an epic choke.

That was awful, but IMO, it would have been a foul before the act of shooting, giving only two free throws to tie the game instead of three to win it.

BTW, Doug Collins totally botched his analysis at the end of the game, forgetting that the shot clock did not reset because the shot did not hit the rim. The worst part of it is that I believed him and shat a brick when I saw Kobe taking the shot. Shame on me for not catching his mistake. Was anyone else fooled?

Does anyone want to make a prediction for tonights game? I'm gonna go out on a limb and pick the hated(by me) Pistons to win tonight and win the series in game 6.

That was awful, but IMO, it would have been a foul before the act of shooting, giving only two free throws to tie the game instead of three to win it.

BTW, Doug Collins totally botched his analysis at the end of the game, forgetting that the shot clock did not reset because the shot did not hit the rim. The worst part of it is that I believed him and shat a brick when I saw Kobe taking the shot. Shame on me for not catching his mistake. Was anyone else fooled?

Does anyone want to make a prediction for tonights game? I'm gonna go out on a limb and pick the hated(by me) Pistons to win tonight and win the series in game 6.

Collins was actually right in assuming the shot clock would/should reset...the refs botched that one too; so I guess that evens out the no-call.

Celts hold on for the win...I know Celtic haters will make much of the officiating, but, please, be objective. There were horrid calls both ways, and the Pistons got a few breaks late in the game...

During the broadcast, Mark Jackson said that the Pistons seem to subscribe to the old Pat Riley (Knicks version) philosophy of being as physical as possible, foul as much as you need to, becasue, eventually, the refs will stop calling every little thing. Of course, Van Gundy objected. Thing is, to me, the Pistons have a lot of really good players, they don't really need to play the way they do sometimes. Maybe the extra physical play helps to keep their head in the game?

I rarely complain about broadcasters, but the ESPN/ABC coverage of the playoffs has sucked! The TNT games are so superior. I would love to see one Celtics playoff game without an anti-Celtic bias forced into everything. Van Gundy and Berry (Ricks a-hole kid) take every chance they can to criticize the Celtics, whether they are winning or losing. I can't recall if Van Gundy was ever passed over for the Celtics job, but just rips them whenever he can. His harping on Posey "retaliating" after his teammate was given a hard foul, was rediculous.

As a diehard Celts fan, I like Van Gundy. Mike Breen might be the worst pbp guy in all of sport. He doesn't seem to understand no one wants his effing opinions. That's the job of a color commentator, not a play by play announcer.

I normally like Van Gundy too, but he has been harping on the Celtics "bad basketball" for the entire playoffs...he seems obsessed...to me it is pretty noticable that there is a strong anti-Celtics sentiment with a fair number of ex-NBA people in the media...either they grew up Lakers fans, or they got screwed over by the team some how. I also wonder if Van Gundy has some sort of personal problem with Doc Rivers. Nearly every criticism he makes, seeme to get interpreted the other way, but Mark Jackson. I agree about Breen as well. He is hard to listen to. How can ESPN fug this up so bad? Their half-time show is as dull as it could possibly be.

I believe this Celtics team is flawed, but they are one game away from the finals. To hear these people ramble on, they are the worst, most undisciplined team to ever make it this far. There seems to be universal respect for Garnett, but that is where it ends. Meanwhile, they take every opportunity to ballwash (I have never used that term before!) the Pistons, and the Spurs. Granted, those teams have won more as of recent, but please...the Pistons have been shooting themselves in the foot, time and again, more often than not, yet they are just a "remarkably smart, well coached team"..blah, blah, blah...I know it doesn't matter much in the long run, but, it was like listening to Randy Cross do a Bills game or something.

Did anyone else HATE watching the foul when up by 3 strategy employed by the Celts? Sure it was the smart thing to do, but it was completely lame. It seems like such a loophole in the rules. You should call an intentional foul there or something to make the end of the game more interesting.

Did anyone else HATE watching the foul when up by 3 strategy employed by the Celts? Sure it was the smart thing to do, but it was completely lame. It seems like such a loophole in the rules. You should call an intentional foul there or something to make the end of the game more interesting.

I'd be on board with that. I hate the whole late-game fouling thing - on both sides - but the Celts' "strategy" last night seemed doubly ridiculous...

I'd be on board with that. I hate the whole late-game fouling thing - on both sides - but the Celts' "strategy" last night seemed doubly ridiculous...

I agree, but with the way the Pistons were hitting three point shots, it was the smartest thing the Celtics could do, to insure the game didn't go into OT. They had a few guys who were hitting them at will.

What I found almost as puzzling/perplexing/silly, was Stuckey not intentionally missing his second foul shot, after flubbing the first one. The Pistons, at that point, needed to posses the ball, more than they needed a single point. Ironically, missing the first foul shot, but making the second one, kind of nailed the lid on the Pistons coffin...you can bet if it had been the other way around, Van Gundy would have railed on the Celtics for not making sure that the foul shooter was aware that he should try to miss. They braught it up, before Stuckey shot any free throws, but when he botched it up, it was kind of like "oh well, they were going to lose anyways..."

It is weird the way things get basterdized in the name of strategy, and winning...kind of like "hack-a-Shaq", or Holmgren letting the Broncos score a td, late in the Super Bowl, so Denver couldn't run down the clock on the Packers...kind of crazy, but kind of fun...especially if it works!

I think Stuckey tried to miss the second FT but just didn't do a good enough job of it. It looked like Billups was in his ear before the first FT and he seemed nod that he understood, so I don't know exactly what happened.

I don't disagree that the Celts' late-game strategy was smart, I just didn't like it - whether it was Bah-stan, De-Troy-It or Cleveland doing it. I just hate watching the last two minutes of an NBA game run 20 minutes because of the fouls, the 15 timeouts, the clock not starting until the ball is touched in-bounds, etc.