Chantix....anybody try it?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how it made you feel, and/or whether or not you were successful in quitting smoking.

Thanks.

Nervous Guy 'n me were given scripts for it, but decided not to take it.

The company was recently was ordered to include more stringent cautions about it - suicides etc. - it acts on similar parts of the brain as anti-depressants - and there are certainly problems with them.

Recently, Nervous Guy 'n me both were given scripts for it, but decided not to take it.

The company was recently was ordered to include more stringent cautions about it - suicides etc. - it acts on similar parts of the brain as anti-depressants - and there are certainly problems with them.

damn you! we had a guinea pig all lined up and you blew it! ;)

A buddy of mine has used it. He was able to quit when he was on it but eventualy stared again. The only thing I remember him saying as far as side effects were "very weird dreams". I suggest the JinVA way. Smoke a an old stale cig, puke for 24 straight hours an you'll never want to smoke again........unless you're drunk.

how it made you feel, and/or whether or not you were successful in quitting smoking.

Thanks.

I took my first today. You need to be on for a week before your quit day. I have had three friends all use it and they have had no side effects. They have all been successful quiting , some for 1 months, some for 3 at this stage. And yes, I saw an article about it and related suicides, but that said you might be at risk if you are severly depressed before you start taking it. Talked to the doc about it, he said most common side effect was nausea, but that was only in like 10% of patients.

Also, when I went to get the RX filled, guy said it was $150 bucks for first month and most insurance did not cover it. However after checking he came back and it was covered, so that was cool. Doc said to be effective a 3 month routine is recommended, so that could get pricey if your insurance no pay.

I took my first today. You need to be on for a week before your quit day. I have had three friends all use it and they have had no side effects. They have all been successful quiting , some for 1 months, some for 3 at this stage. And yes, I saw an article about it and related suicides, but that said you might be at risk if you are severly depressed before you start taking it. Talked to the doc about it, he said most common side effect was nausea, but that was only in like 10% of patients.

Also, when I went to get the RX filled, guy said it was $150 bucks for first month and most insurance did not cover it. However after checking he came back and it was covered, so that was cool. Doc said to be effective a 3 month routine is recommended, so that could get pricey if your insurance no pay.

Good luck!

Please keep me posted as to how it works...I'm very interested.

1 pack per day ($5) X 30 days per month = 150 bucks... assuming you are not smoking looks the same to me

I have heard that it sends you into a vitriolic rage every time someone mentions the name, 'J.P. Losman' :P

For me it would be more "RJ"

Just quit cold turkey.

You can do it if you want to.

So do it if you want to.

Agreed, thats why no replacement stuff for me. But would be kinda the same as saying I got 5 miles to get to the bar and my car is broken down. Have a bike here, or I could walk? Hmm, why no go with the vehicle that makes it a tad easier to get there?

1 pack per day ($5) X 30 days per month = 150 bucks... assuming you are not smoking looks the same to me

Ahh, but I live in the Old Dominion of VA, home to Phillip Morris and .02 tax, so pack right around than $3 at most places i buy from. But, i just meesing, I would pay $1000 as I am convinced it can help me quit.

Agreed, thats why no replacement stuff for me. But would be kinda the same as saying I got 5 miles to get to the bar and my car is broken down. Have a bike here, or I could walk? Hmm, why no go with the vehicle that makes it a tad easier to get there?

Well said, my good man. The point is taken.

For me, cold turkey was/is the way to go. But I surely see how other ways work for other people.

Well said, my good man. The point is taken.

For me, cold turkey was/is the way to go. But I surely see how other ways work for other people.

As most, this is not my first attempt. Tried all the patches, gums etc, to no avail. However, last time i tried(and went close to 2 months, by far my most successful attempt) was cold turkey, except for a book I read. It was named "The Easyway of Quitting Smoking by Allen Carr".

http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/

This book pretty much articulates what you are saying Sketch, and it has an amazing success rate. Both my sister and brother in law, two packs a day smokers, quit after I gave it to them and have been smoke free close to two years now. In short book explore all the myths of why we smoke, the physiology of nicotine and smoking, the mental crutch we have etc. It even has you smoking at prescribed points of the book and man this stuff really sinks home at that point. For me, it hit home why it has been so tough for me to quit. I am a closet smoker, not smoking when with the wife, kids, work associates etc. That made the smokes even more precious to me, and I started associated smoking with having fun. This book really makes you think about why you smoke, and helps you get mentally prepared to quit.

It is a great book to read and I highly recommend for any body is going to quit.

I am a closet smoker, not smoking when with the wife, kids, work associates etc. That made the smokes even more precious to me, and I started associated smoking with having fun.

Not in the house either? That describes me as well....hmmm....never thought of it that way.

Not in the house either? That describes me as well....hmmm....never thought of it that way.

Never in the house. I know I sound like a shill, but if you are really thinking of quitting Nervous, do your self a favor and get that book.

Lots of testimonials of that site, and I am telling you will get a new appreciation for why you smoke, the myths surrounding smoking etc. I have my quit day as next Monday( the book will explain the quit day concept) and I am reading the book for the 2nd time as we speak. I got the Chantix this time as as the book talks about, I am just hoping it takes away that "hungry" feeling one gets in the first 3 days or so quitting. Like Carr says, the physical part is easy, its not like you break into cold sweats or have the DTs or anything when quitting like other drugs, it really is just that "hungry type" feeling. Thats where I am hoping the Chantix can help.