Chantix....anybody try it?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you guys just quit cold turkey?

Just look at yourself in the mirror and decide to man up and quit.

Then you won't have to worry about going crazy on some drug.

Have you ever had an addiction?

I gradually cut back to one cigarette a day and then quit, but it isn't that easy for everybody.

Have you ever had an addiction?

I gradually cut back to one cigarette a day and then quit, but it isn't that easy for everybody.

You could argue that every habitual action is an addiction of some sort. I habitually drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Am I addicted? I stopped drinking coffee from December until March, cold turkey. My 'addiction' was way more psychological than physiological. In the morning I don't "NEED" a cup of coffee, but I enjoy one. If you wanted me to quit just to prove a point I would.

When I was a kid I habitually played sports video games with my brothers. At one point my grades suffered. I no longer play video games. Was I addicted?

If you have an addictive personality then I don't really think "cutting back" will solve the problem. If you really want to stop doing anything, cold turkey all the way.

You could argue that every habitual action is an addiction of some sort. I habitually drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Am I addicted? I stopped drinking coffee from December until March, cold turkey. My 'addiction' was way more psychological than physiological. In the morning I don't "NEED" a cup of coffee, but I enjoy one. If you wanted me to quit just to prove a point I would.

When I was a kid I habitually played sports video games with my brothers. At one point my grades suffered. I no longer play video games. Was I addicted?

If you have an addictive personality then I don't really think "cutting back" will solve the problem. If you really want to stop doing anything, cold turkey all the way.

Are you aware that the pharmacologic processes that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine? That is not a disputed scientific fact....equating smoking and video game playing is pretty simplistic.

Are you aware that the pharmacologic processes that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine? That is not a disputed scientific fact....equating smoking and video game playing is pretty simplistic.

that's because you're a tough guy. :wallbash:

What??? You couldn't climb up the Himalaya Mountains and find a Guru?

:wallbash:

For me. Its been tough to stay quit! I'd quit for 4 years, then smoke for 2. Then quit for 3, then smoke for 1. This has been going on for about 20 years. Right now I've been off them for about a year.

:wallbash:

For me. Its been tough to stay quit! I'd quit for 4 years, then smoke for 2. Then quit for 3, then smoke for 1. This has been going on for about 20 years. Right now I've been off them for about a year.

So the word fag has multiple meanings when it pertains to you.

You should not have posted that. I was starting to think he was perfect.

I realize it's simplistic to equate the two. I also realize that it must be difficult to quit smoking. It's difficult to do a lot of things. I am firm believer in Dr. Emmitt Brown/George McFly's motto, "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." The mind should have the strongest will of them all.

I realize it's simplistic to equate the two. I also realize that it must be difficult to quit smoking. It's difficult to do a lot of things. I am firm believer in Dr. Emmitt Brown/George McFly's motto, "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." The mind should have the strongest will of them all.

That's a great motto and I believe in it too...I also harp on that with my kids all the time.....but....to try to readjust your brain chemistry with just your mind is a bit difficult. There are distinct physical changes that occur on the receptor level when someone uses nicotine, not sure willpower can reverse those effects.

This drug actually occupies the same receptor as nicotine does but does not produce the same effect as nicotine, and it's not displaced by nicotine, so when on it, people don't get the "good stuff" that nicotine produces...even if they smoke...the desire to smoke then decreases and eventually they quit altogether since smoking doesn't do anything for them anymore.

That's a great motto and I believe in it too...I also harp on that with my kids all the time.....but....to try to readjust your brain chemistry with just your mind is a bit difficult. There are distinct physical changes that occur on the receptor level when someone uses nicotine, not sure willpower can reverse those effects.

This drug actually occupies the same receptor as nicotine does but does not produce the same effect as nicotine, and it's not displaced by nicotine, so when on it, people don't get the "good stuff" that nicotine produces...even if they smoke...the desire to smoke then decreases and eventually they quit altogether since smoking doesn't do anything for them anymore.

But what about the smoking Hollywood sexpots we lust after? :wallbash:

:blink:

Thought I would give an update here. I quit the Chantix after about 5 days, was making me feel a liitle goofy(or at least more goofy than normal). However, I think it did work as stated around lowering the urge to smoke, and as a matter of fact I did move up my quit day to saturday from Monday, prolly due to the Chantix.

So, my last cigarette was Friday evening at 11.32 PM. On my 5th day smoke free, and starting to see the pangs die down, and actually feeling pretty good bout being an ex-smoker. erynthered, i quoted you as as I mentioned before, i highly recommend the book--The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. Adreeses folks like you in there as well, may be of help if you you read it even if you are on a quit cycle now.

Thought I would give an update here. I quit the Chantix after about 5 days, was making me feel a liitle goofy(or at least more goofy than normal). However, I think it did work as stated around lowering the urge to smoke, and as a matter of fact I did move up my quit day to saturday from Monday, prolly due to the Chantix.

So, my last cigarette was Friday evening at 11.32 PM. On my 5th day smoke free, and starting to see the pangs die down, and actually feeling pretty good bout being an ex-smoker. erynthered, i quoted you as as I mentioned before, i highly recommend the book--The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. Adreeses folks like you in there as well, may be of help if you you read it even if you are on a quit cycle now.

:blink::rolleyes::wallbash: