Chantix....anybody try it?

Thought I would give an update here. I quit the Chantix after about 5 days, was making me feel a liitle goofy(or at least more goofy than normal). However, I think it did work as stated around lowering the urge to smoke, and as a matter of fact I did move up my quit day to saturday from Monday, prolly due to the Chantix.

So, my last cigarette was Friday evening at 11.32 PM. On my 5th day smoke free, and starting to see the pangs die down, and actually feeling pretty good bout being an ex-smoker. erynthered, i quoted you as as I mentioned before, i highly recommend the book--The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. Adreeses folks like you in there as well, may be of help if you you read it even if you are on a quit cycle now.

Congrats, Paul!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't smoked a cigarette in 2 1/2 weeks. Cold Turkey. No problems so far. And I've smoked pretty much straight away for about 8 years.

For me, it isa matter of coming to terms with what I can control. I'm an addictive personality par excellence, so a lot of it is just understanding how my mind works in the addiction process.

What I'm here to tell you is this: nicotine addiction varies between people, and some may find it harder than others to quit, but as an addict (in more than just the nicotine sense), I can tell you that if you DECIDE that you will not pick up one more cigarette and put it in your mouth, you won't do so. Now will that be easy? Most likely not, and sometimes harder than !@#$ all to the point that it seems impossible. But, it can be done. This is not my first time quitting something cold turkey, and it can happen.

But, as others have said, if using some aid helps you quit, makes the transition smoother, etc., then by all means- fire away. Whatever works is the mantra, when it comes down to it.

My girlfriend and I quit back in September and haven't had one since. Trust me, it's not the easiest thing in the world, but the Chantix does help you get over the hump of the first 2-3 weeks. It made both of our stomachs upset while we took the drug (only on it for about 2 weeks), and it does affect your sleeping paterns, but it's very worth it in the long run.

After that, it's self discipline. I can honestly say that after not smoking for 7 months, you rarely think about it at all.

Good luck!!

My girlfriend and I quit back in September and haven't had one since. Trust me, it's not the easiest thing in the world, but the Chantix does help you get over the hump of the first 2-3 weeks. It made both of our stomachs upset while we took the drug (only on it for about 2 weeks), and it does affect your sleeping paterns, but it's very worth it in the long run.

After that, it's self discipline. I can honestly say that after not smoking for 7 months, you rarely think about it at all.

Good luck!!

You better start smoking again quiting has hurt your math skills. :blink:

what's wrong with that math, smart guy?

Silly me. I'm sorry. :blink:

1)September, 2)October, 3)November, 4)December, 5)January, 6)February, 7)March,

8)April, 9)May.

My girlfriend and I quit back in September

I can honestly say that after not smoking for 7 months, you rarely think about it at all.

what's wrong with that math, smart guy?

It's been about 7.5 months actually. Our quit date was Sept. 23 so on May 23rd, it will be 8mos. Like I said, after awhile, you don't really think too much about it. We celebrated once we hit 1 and 2 months smoke free, but after that, it was just sort of faded away.

It's been about 7.5 months actually. Our quit date was Sept. 23 so on May 23rd, it will be 8mos. Like I said, after awhile, you don't really think too much about it. We celebrated once we hit 1 and 2 months smoke free, but after that, it was just sort of faded away.

Don't mind him Billadude. He works with drugs, sometimes some accidentally fall into his mouth. :blink:

you're the one that was waaaay off Bub....why would you count September when that was when he quit? Doof!

Bub yourself you you you moderator. :thumbsup:

Anyway, he backed me up. He admitted it was more than 7 months. Hey, shouldn't you be ball washing your Bill Lambeer statue right now?

Bub yourself you you you moderator. :lol:

Anyway, he backed me up. He admitted it was more than 7 months. Hey, shouldn't you be ball washing your Bill Lambeer statue right now?

:w00t::w00t: Where's Holcomb's Arm when you need him?

ball washing indeed. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Thought I would give an update here. I quit the Chantix after about 5 days, was making me feel a liitle goofy(or at least more goofy than normal). However, I think it did work as stated around lowering the urge to smoke, and as a matter of fact I did move up my quit day to saturday from Monday, prolly due to the Chantix.

So, my last cigarette was Friday evening at 11.32 PM. On my 5th day smoke free, and starting to see the pangs die down, and actually feeling pretty good bout being an ex-smoker. erynthered, i quoted you as as I mentioned before, i highly recommend the book--The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. Adreeses folks like you in there as well, may be of help if you you read it even if you are on a quit cycle now.

Two Months today fellas!!Yippee. Even been running for the last month, up to 4 miles a day in 37 minutes yesterday!! Must say that I occasionally still want one, but not when ya think. My hardest pangs now are sometimes after a run for some reason.

Stoj and Bill how ya doing?????

Two Months today fellas!!Yippee. Even been running for the last month, up to 4 miles a day in 37 minutes yesterday!! Must say that I occasionally still want one, but not when ya think. My hardest pangs now are sometimes after a run for some reason.

:lol::P

You are doing well, plenz - glad to hear it!

Stoj and Bill how ya doing?????

Good Yob Mang!!

I had a Cigar on the 4th. :lol::P

Please keep us posted. I'm curious as well...unfortunately the end of my cigarette smoking is drawing near.

Why "unfortunately"?

I smoked for over 30 years and have been smoke free for about 13 years, except for maybe one or two cigars a year. It was the worst (and only) addiction I ever had, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER than when I smoked.

The first side effect was I had money in my wallet at the end of the week. :lol:

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

Why "unfortunately"?

I smoked for over 30 years and have been smoke free for about 13 years, except for maybe one or two cigars a year. It was the worst (and only) addiction I ever had, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER than when I smoked.

The first side effect was I had money in my wallet at the end of the week. :lol:

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

Thats what that bbok I mentioned gets you to do, turn your thinking around from I am giving up something I enjoy...to I am going to stop delivering a nasty drug to my system and I am ecstatic that I am going to quit.

You know when you get it is the first time you ride down the street in your car, and rolll up to stop light and the guy in the car next to you is smoking. If your first thought is"lucky bastard, i would love a smoke right now" as opposed to "poor SOB still has to smoke, so glad I am an ex-smoker", then it will be nigh impossible to quit. It is all about the mental approach I think!