Pro Football Weekly's take on the Bills draft

I always find what they say interesting, as Hub Arkush PFW's publisher is good friends with Jauron and Levy.

Buffalo

The Bills significantly upgraded their defense and return game and found a pair of big receivers to open up the offense for QB Trent Edwards and WR Lee Evans. CB Leodis McKelvin could be an impact player in two areas, and CB Reggie Corner is a great scheme fit. The Bills took more chances on character than they did when Marv Levy was in the building, with the selections of WR James Hardy and DE Chris Ellis. LB Alvin Bowen and S Kennard Cox both have developmental potential and could help on special teams. The key to this draft will be whether Hardy and Ellis can stay in line.

Grade: C

I always find what they say interesting, as Hub Arkush PFW's publisher is good friends with Jauron and Levy.

Buffalo

The Bills significantly upgraded their defense and return game and found a pair of big receivers to open up the offense for QB Trent Edwards and WR Lee Evans. CB Leodis McKelvin could be an impact player in two areas, and CB Reggie Corner is a great scheme fit. The Bills took more chances on character than they did when Marv Levy was in the building, with the selections of WR James Hardy and DE Chris Ellis. LB Alvin Bowen and S Kennard Cox both have developmental potential and could help on special teams. The key to this draft will be whether Hardy and Ellis can stay in line.

I do like the fact the Bills had high character, outside of Hargrove. But a couple guys can hopefully change by seeing what everybody else on the team is doing.

I do like the fact the Bills had high character, outside of Hargrove. But a couple guys can hopefully change by seeing what everybody else on the team is doing.

That's my hope too. If you have a strong character lockerroom it should help in molding the young talent.

The Bills significantly upgraded their defense and return game

its comments like this that make you realize most of these guys dont have a clue what they're talking about and obviously dont do any type of research before posting their articles...the Bills have one of the best return games in the league, not much room to improve if any at all

That's my hope too. If you have a strong character lockerroom it should help in molding the young talent.

I agree that the locker room should take care of this.

However, I am sick to death of this character tag on Hardy. Ellis I can understand because it is on the field, "he wants to get PAID", and we can all see it on film if we want(BTW, what's wrong with a pro football player wanting to make money? The real question is whether he wants to earn it or thinks he already deserves it). The Hardy thing is way overplayed in terms of what actually happened vs. what people are saying. And, the best evidence of that is that nothing, exactly nothing like that has happened again.

Not saying he won't do it again, I am saying he hasn't, and we should give him the benefit of the doubt until he does.

I'm going on record now. I'm behind Ellis, I want to see some thug to this team. We are always the nice guy and I'm getting fed up with the Vince Woolforks and us being Polly Puritans. Now we got a Woolfork, let's see how Brady likes that. Hopefully when Ellis starts boiling over it will step up some of the attitude on our team. I want to see some nasty, snot dripping maniacs on our team who want to go out and wreak some havoc and kick some @$$.

As a proclaimed Hardy hater as far as his character goes I have to admit I think my judgment was a snap one. I haven't heard anything from him in an single interview that leads to me believe his character is questionable now. He seems to be a solid guy who made a mistake. I admit I was probably wrong.

I'm going on record now. I'm behind Ellis, I want to see some thug to this team. We are always the nice guy and I'm getting fed up with the Vince Woolforks and us being Polly Puritans. Now we got a Woolfork, let's see how Brady likes that. Hopefully when Ellis starts boiling over it will step up some of the attitude on our team. I want to see some nasty, snot dripping maniacs on our team who want to go out and wreak some havoc and kick some @$$.

Well said, Tip. :D

My problems with Ellis are less character than durability. I honestly believe he will suffer a shoulder injury this year. I sincerely hope not but with his injury record I think it's inevitable.

As a proclaimed Hardy hater as far as his character goes I have to admit I think my judgment was a snap one. I haven't heard anything from him in an single interview that leads to me believe his character is questionable now. He seems to be a solid guy who made a mistake. I admit I was probably wrong.

Same here. He's up front about it and willing to talk. If he wasn't I'd be really concerned!

The various articles on James Hardy certainly indicate to me that he realized his mistakes, did the time (so to speak), and has matured.

I have no qualms about his character. He seems ready to work his butt off to make it in the NFL.

And regarding the return game, wouldn't it be nice to have someone besides McGee who can make great returns. McKelvin was described as "an electric return man" (or words to that effect).

Buffalo

Is that not the most contradictory draft analysis ever? They say, "The Bills significantly upgraded their defense and return game and found a pair of big receivers to open up the offense for QB Trent Edwards and WR Lee Evans. CB Leodis McKelvin could be an impact player in two areas, and CB Reggie Corner is a great scheme fit. "

And then give a C for a grade? :D

Is that not the most contradictory draft analysis ever? They say, "The Bills significantly upgraded their defense and return game and found a pair of big receivers to open up the offense for QB Trent Edwards and WR Lee Evans. CB Leodis McKelvin could be an impact player in two areas, and CB Reggie Corner is a great scheme fit. "

And then give a C for a grade? :unsure:

It's like dog or cat years.......a Bills C grade is the equivalent to a standard B+ grade for most teams.....and an A+ for Pats/Dolphins/Cowboys. :D

its comments like this that make you realize most of these guys dont have a clue what they're talking about and obviously dont do any type of research before posting their articles...the Bills have one of the best return games in the league, not much room to improve if any at all

Granted, the return guy has the camera on him and if he breaks loose, he gets all the recognition. But the Bills chose to pare a lot of the other 10 guys on the return team this off season and they must be replaced to give the return guy a chance. Our return men, Lindell and Moorman won't mean squat without the other 9/10 guys.

They need leaders on the team both on the field and off the field.....In coming players should hold them in high esteem and respect. I don't think we have player(s) like that on this team. Hopefully Dick Jauron is that calming influence.

IMO, the word "character" is thrown around by experts (and non-experts) far too flippantly. I doubt most even know what they mean when they use the word. To me, "character" refers to a person's moral and ethical traits and reputation. Kids make mistakes -- it doesn't mean they lack character. When an 18 or 19 year old has a "fight" with his girlfriend, owns up to it, and says he has learned from the experience, I don't know that I'm qualified to say that kid has "character issues." Similarly, when a college football player says he's looking forward to the NFL for the paycheck, does that equate to a problem with his character?

Long story short -- I take issue with anyone who says the Bills drafted two players (Hardy, Ellis) with "character issues" because I believe that's lazy reporting (and unfair to the individuals involved).

Hardy came from a real rough background, had a bad family life. Dad left him when he was young & his mother was a drug addict. I heard in an interview he had that he started to get involved in sports because he did not want to go home after school it was that bad. My point is, the guy made a mistake, sounds like he learned from that mistake & it is easy for everybody just to make snap judgements on these kids without knowing what the whole story is or what they really went thru. I think he will be fine & he is in a solid organiztion to keep on the straight & narrow.

They need leaders on the team both on the field and off the field.....In coming players should hold them in high esteem and respect. I don't think we have player(s) like that on this team. Hopefully Dick Jauron is that calming influence.

I've heard Crowell is a leader in the lockerroom that's respected. JP while not the starter anymore has a lot of respect from the guys in the lockerroom. I think Poz is a natural leader and if he's not one now he will be soon. Jason Peters strikes me as the strong quiet leader type and I'm sure there are others. Just because we don't know about guys in the lockerroom doesn't mean they don't exist.

Hardy came from a real rough background, had a bad family life. Dad left him when he was young & his mother was a drug addict. I heard in an interview he had that he started to get involved in sports because he did not want to go home after school it was that bad. My point is, the guy made a mistake, sounds like he learned from that mistake & it is easy for everybody just to make snap judgements on these kids without knowing what the whole story is or what they really went thru. I think he will be fine & he is in a solid organiztion to keep on the straight & narrow.

I agree. I've been impressed by his forthright admissions of mistakes from his past.

Marv wanted guys with good football character - who won't let the off-the-field stuff get in the way of the game. It's not that he wanted choir boys who never drove 66 miles an hour. He wanted guys who wouldn't crash the car and miss practice.

It's about avoiding guys like TO and Chad Johnson: Neither has ever been in trouble with the law (as far as I know) but they are a constant distraction, they undermine their team and their coaches, and they bring the team down more often than not. Owens at least seems to be getting over it a bit.

At the other end, there's guys like Bruce and Jim Kelly. He had his problems off the field, but it never mattered on Sunday. Except, perhaps, for Sunday, January 25th, 1991.