Glucosamine Chondroitin

RayFinkle

Is there a paticular dog brand you use or do you give him the human Costco stuff?

I buy it where I buy my vitamins. My vet said that there really is no difference between the human stuff and the stuff from the vet.

That is good stuff- I take it myself. I imagine it would work for dogs as well. My brother is ski races and everyone that ski races takes GC. My doctor recommended it for me about 10 years ago

Has it reduced your shedding?

I gave it to my dog from the time he was about 5 until he died at 13. He blew the tendon in his knee and had surgery so he got it from that point on. There was little to no arthritis in his joints when his last X-Ray was analyzed. We gave him the Kirkland brand from Costco.

Some of the better dog foods have it in them. (IIRC, Eagle Pack Natural has just Chondriton in it).

That was one of the criteria I used when selecting a dog food for my dog (pictured to the left there; a Great Dane).

FWIW, I take it myself during indoor volleyball season (Sep-May) & am convinced it helps me wrt knee pain.

Just wondering if this stuff actually works for joint/hip issues in older dogs.

My dog, Billie (see profile pic) was diagnosed with arthritis in her left hip at about 9 years old. The vet said it's not related to hip dysplasia, just plain arthritis. That's when I started giving her glucosamine chondroitin. She gets a pill every day.

That was about 2 and a half years ago. I think it helps her quite a bit. She is occasionally a little stiff when she gets up, but for the most part she's her healthy playful self. Before she was on it, there were a couple of flare ups when she would be unable to go up the stairs at all. Since the glucosamine chondroitin, it has never gotten that bad.

Billie is about 40 lbs., mixed breed (you tell me what you think she is--I've heard all kinds of guesses). Now almost 12 years old. Just yesterday she was running all over the damn place, up and down the stairs, with her crazy noise-making toys. :lol:

My Golden Retriever was on it for over 5 years and lived to be almost 15. He was in obvious pain when he first went on it and I was ready to put him down. It takes a while to build up. My vet gave doggy motrin which screwed with his liver a bit, but by the time he had to come off the Motrin he could run again. He was given Synova-Cre (spelling is probably wrong) treats. We now have an 11-year-old Sheltie with frisbee ground teeth who went on it about 6 months ago who is again jumping to catch a disc...

My dog, Billie (see profile pic) was diagnosed with arthritis in her left hip at about 9 years old. The vet said it's not related to hip dysplasia, just plain arthritis. That's when I started giving her glucosamine chondroitin. She gets a pill every day.

That was about 2 and a half years ago. I think it helps her quite a bit. She is occasionally a little stiff when she gets up, but for the most part she's her healthy playful self. Before she was on it, there were a couple of flare ups when she would be unable to go up the stairs at all. Since the glucosamine chondroitin, it has never gotten that bad.

Billie is about 40 lbs., mixed breed (you tell me what you think she is--I've heard all kinds of guesses). Now almost 12 years old. Just yesterday she was running all over the damn place, up and down the stairs, with her crazy noise-making toys. :lol:

Nice to hear it helped your pup.

One thought: I read a while back that there are a number of phony sellers that hawk the product, at least for human usage. I advise sticking to trusted, reputable companies.

Just a point of reference, my vet said that supplements (human and animal) are not regulated like aspirin and the like. One brand may have a full dose and be very good and the other may just have trace elements and state that they are full strength.

We started giving it to our black lab, Rusty, when he was about 4. He would have trouble getting up and was in obvious pain after fetching the ball for 30 minutes or so. He is now 11 (12 in two months) and has no trouble and charges as hard as ever. I highly recommend it, especially with larger breeds.

My wife worked at a Vet's for 5 years and I just asked her about it. She said some people swear by it and others not so much.

The upside is that there aren't really any downsides to taking it (or giving it).

My wife worked at a Vet's for 5 years and I just asked her about it. She said some people swear by it and others not so much.

The upside is that there aren't really any downsides to taking it (or giving it).

Unless you're giving it to a cat. But then, giving any pill to a cat is ALL downside, from the giver's point of view.

Seriously...it did our cat a world of good. But years ago, when I took it for my knee...not a thing. To my knowledge, it's a very hit-or-miss thing: doesn't work all the time, be it animal or human. Good news is it's otherwise benign, so why not try it...

Hate to burst peoples bubbles.....but glucosamine and chondroitin dont build cartilage or rejuvenate joint cartilage.

They work as mild anti-inflammatories(a good thing) without the negative side effects of the anti-inflammatory drugs(also a good thing).But thats about it. I have a close friend who head up the largest natural products research facility in the US--part of a major UNIV. He is very open-minded..and is a PHD biochemist.