When the Bills picked Whitner 2 years ago....

Larry Felser (I think it was him). The week before the draft he had a Bills draft column where he snuck in towards the end "Don't be surprised if the Bills pick Donte Whitner from Ohio State". That was the only Whitner reference I remember hearing during the build-up towards the draft. Today's Felser column seems to imply that taking a corner in the first in the most likely scenario. Do you think he may be privy to whose at the top of our draft board this year?

He might of, I actually remember seeing a mock on Yahoo that had Whitner as well. At the time every other mock had us taking Ngata and I think some said Ernie Sims

BYLINE: By Alan Pergament

SECTION: SPORTS; Sports on the Air ; Pg. B4

LENGTH: 705 words

Who would have thought that NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock would have had more insight into the Bills' top choice than ESPN's Chris Berman?

Mayock probably shocked Bills fans last Saturday before General Manager Marv Levy did by correctly predicting the Bills would take Donte Whitner if they couldn't trade down. Mayock had six of the first eight picks right in his mock draft and would have had all eight if Houston had selected Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams. Mayock flip-flopped the picks.

Mayock's prediction might have been missed by Bills fans who rely on Berman to get the choice from "a Buffalo cab driver." This time, Berman speculated the cabbie was stuck in traffic and he didn't make a prediction. I'm told the cabbie might have called too late. Still, Mayock did so well that a conspiracy theorist might wonder if NFL personnel was more willing to talk to the NFL Network analysts than ESPN's.

The competition didn't hurt ESPN's ratings. Its draft coverage was the highest-rated and most-viewed in 27 years.

How about these letters to the editor after the Bills 2006 draft! hahahaha

Letters / Our readers speak out

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. D4

LENGTH: 350 words

What was Marv thinking on draft day?

I've watched (from a distance) for several months the moves Bills General Manager Marv Levy and his crew have made each time, thinking he can't top the last one. I didn't think anything could best $10 million for Peerless Price. Boy, was I wrong.

Donte Whitner with the first pick beats them all. Not only does Marvelous pass up Matt Leinart (Oh, that's right, we don't need him after his brilliant QB signing of Craig Nall), he does so for the third-rated safety in the draft. What are these guys thinking? They are driving the Bills' bus off a cliff and we're along for the ride.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing for Ralph to sell the team so we can get some fresh blood in there to turn this franchise around.

Jim Benz

Philadelphia

Draft day decisions may backfire on Bills

Does this NFL draft smell of the Donahoe-Modrak era to you? Marv Levy is a very likable fellow but an experienced general manager he isn't.

Fire Levy, Modrak, and the scouts for the pathetic 2006 draft. I would bet the farm that the Bills lose 5,000 or 10,000 season ticket holders because of this draft farce.

Phil Wiggle

Amherst

Does this NFL draft smell of the Donahoe-Modrak era to you? Marv Levy is a very likable fellow but an experienced general manager he isn't.

Fire Levy, Modrak, and the scouts for the pathetic 2006 draft. I would bet the farm that the Bills lose 5,000 or 10,000 season ticket holders because of this draft farce.

Phil Wiggle

Amherst

That guy always writes in. He is an uber-douche. Something is always "grinding his gears."

How about them on ANY Sunday?

I always have the sense the BN Sports editors are hysterically laughing their ass off at these people by printing their letters.

Especially 'regulars' like Phil Wiggle...

this is who mayock is saying the bills are picking this year....Team Pick Analysis

11. Buffalo Bills

Dominique

Rodgers-Cromartie

CB, Tennessee St. The've got a heavy need at wide receiver, but there's no value at this point. The Bills go with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State. If there's one guy that's made a vertical move up the charts it's Rodgers-Cromartie. Lit up the combine, had a great Senior Bowl week, he's now on the board at No. 11.

this is who mayock is saying the bills are picking this year....Team Pick Analysis

11. Buffalo Bills

Dominique

Rodgers-Cromartie

CB, Tennessee St. The've got a heavy need at wide receiver, but there's no value at this point. The Bills go with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State. If there's one guy that's made a vertical move up the charts it's Rodgers-Cromartie. Lit up the combine, had a great Senior Bowl week, he's now on the board at No. 11.

After Seeing NFL Total Access today, where they did a piece on Sweed, I am all for Limas Sweed becoming a Buffalo Bill...They guy looked very good playing for the LongHorns.

Larry Felser (I think it was him). The week before the draft he had a Bills draft column where he snuck in towards the end "Don't be surprised if the Bills pick Donte Whitner from Ohio State". That was the only Whitner reference I remember hearing during the build-up towards the draft. Today's Felser column seems to imply that taking a corner in the first in the most likely scenario. Do you think he may be privy to whose at the top of our draft board this year?

To beat the dead horse......kudos to an organization that could let a star all-around skilled 26 year old cornerback walk in free agency, then have to use a #1 pick and pay an 8 figure signing bonus/guaranteed money to a kid who they don't even know can play in the league the next year.

If CB wasn't that important then, it shouldn't be now.

To beat the dead horse......kudos to an organization that could let a star all-around skilled 26 year old cornerback walk in free agency, then have to use a #1 pick and pay an 8 figure signing bonus/guaranteed money to a kid who they don't even know can play in the league the next year.

Clements = overrated. He was good but will never live up to his contract. He had a very humpty-dumpty feel to him. Sometimes his plays were spectacular, other times he looked horrendous.

SF has gotten WORSE in pass defense since Clements has been there, and they are paying him 80 F---IN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! :thumbsup:

He was good, but nowhere near THAT good. Plus if we do (and I don't think we will) pick a corner at 11, we aren't going to pay him any where close to that much money (probably around what we payed Lynch last year).

In his last mock draft before the actual draft,

Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly, also predicted the Bills would draft Whitner.

In his last mock draft before the actual draft,

Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly, also predicted the Bills would draft Whitner.

And he's saying Sedrick Ellis this year.

1. Miami Dolphins — QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

2. St. Louis Rams — OLT Jake Long, Michigan

3. Atlanta Falcons — DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

4. Oakland Raiders — DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State (Jr.)

5. Kansas City Chiefs — OLT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

6. New York Jets — OLB Chris Long, Virginia

7. New England Patriots (from San Francisco) — RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas (Jr.)

8. Baltimore Ravens — CB-RS Leodis McKelvin, Troy

9. Cincinnati Bengals — OLT Ryan Clady, Boise State (Jr.)

10. New Orleans Saints — CB-KR Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

11. Buffalo Bills — DT Sedrick Ellis, USC

And he's saying Sedrick Ellis this year.

1. Miami Dolphins — QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

2. St. Louis Rams — OLT Jake Long, Michigan

3. Atlanta Falcons — DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

4. Oakland Raiders — DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State (Jr.)

5. Kansas City Chiefs — OLT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

6. New York Jets — OLB Chris Long, Virginia

7. New England Patriots (from San Francisco) — RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas (Jr.)

8. Baltimore Ravens — CB-RS Leodis McKelvin, Troy

9. Cincinnati Bengals — OLT Ryan Clady, Boise State (Jr.)

10. New Orleans Saints — CB-KR Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

11. Buffalo Bills — DT Sedrick Ellis, USC

I hope Ellis falls to the Bills, but no way Miami takes Ryan #1.

After Seeing NFL Total Access today, where they did a piece on Sweed, I am all for Limas Sweed becoming a Buffalo Bill...They guy looked very good playing for the LongHorns.

I think he looks like the best when healthy, quick enough to get down the field, tough over teh middle, breaks tackles, great hands and body control. Seems like a hard working guy etc. IMO if it weren't for the wrist injury sweed would be the perfect pick at 11 and I still hope we take him.

Bravo my friend! :thumbsup:

Letters / Our readers speak out

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. D4

LENGTH: 350 words

What was Marv thinking on draft day?

I've watched (from a distance) for several months the moves Bills General Manager Marv Levy and his crew have made each time, thinking he can't top the last one. I didn't think anything could best $10 million for Peerless Price. Boy, was I wrong.

Donte Whitner with the first pick beats them all. Not only does Marvelous pass up Matt Leinart (Oh, that's right, we don't need him after his brilliant QB signing of Craig Nall), he does so for the third-rated safety in the draft. What are these guys thinking? They are driving the Bills' bus off a cliff and we're along for the ride.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing for Ralph to sell the team so we can get some fresh blood in there to turn this franchise around.

Jim Benz

Philadelphia

Phil Wiggle

Amherst

Color me extremely confused. I thought Bill was from NYC, not Amherst and Philly.