I need a vacation

The Tomcat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions on what to see in Gettysburg?

I was there as a kid but don't remember much. Just the tools to cut someones leg off...get them liquor'd and CUT!

Pittsburgh is stunning - the view of the city at night coming out of the Liberty Tubes that run through Mt. Washington, the Carnegie Museum, the Pittsburgh Zoo, the three rivers, the Duquesne and Monongahelea inclines running down Mt.Washington.

A bit South, is Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Fallingwater house and the nearby Youghiogheny River and rapids.

The amusement park - Kenneywood - doesn't open until May.

But the Pirate's season has started. You can park at Station Square on Carson Street along the Mon River and take a ferry to the ballpark - I think.

There is also a wholesale and retail food selling area in the North side, called the "Strip District".

Pittsburgh is stunning - the view of the city at night coming out of the Liberty Tubes that run through Mt. Washington, the Carnegie Museum, the Pittsburgh Zoo, the three rivers, the Duquesne and Monongahelea inclines running down Mt.Washington.

A bit South, is Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Fallingwater house and the nearby Youghiogheny River and rapids.

The amusement park - Kenneywood - doesn't open until May.

But the Pirate's season has started. You can park at Station Square on Carson Street along the Mon River and take a ferry to the ballpark - I think.

There is also a wholesale and retail food selling area in the North side, called the "Strip District".

You forgot to include that fact that pittsburgh is 4 hours from his destination, which is gettysburg.

You forgot to include that fact that pittsburgh is 4 hours from his destination, which is gettysburg.

I thought I was going nuts there for a bit.

Heres my recommendations.

On your way down to DC from gettysburg, RT 15 turns into 270. get off at the Urbana exit, go a 1/2 mile take a right and you are at the Cracked Claw. If it is dinner time, good family style food and an OTB to boot!!!!!! Just an idea if your travel times include anything between 3-7 pm. Do NOT get anywhere south of Rockville MD at these times if it is a weekday afternoon.

Whilst in DC, I highly suggest the Postal Museum, the National Building Museum, the Portrait Museum, and the Frederick Douglas house as not overally populated with tourists, and all way cool places. If you have car, the Air and Space near Dulles is way better than the Air and Space on the Mall.

Also, the National Cathedral on Wisconsin is pretty cool, specially if you have never been to any of the cathedrals in europe.

Great place to eat with the kids in the District would either be Two Amys, just awesome pizza in a cool neighborhood, or Cafe Deluxe near the cathedral for a rather cool place that the kids will be fine with.

BTW, the Zoo is good as well. And if Pops gets a little tired, head out the front entrance on Connecticut Ave, and directly across the street is the Zoo Bar. All locals, cheap beer(for DC), but only, and I mean only, get a burger, NO other food. This place is only for libations!!!!!

I lived two blocks from the zoo for close to six years, I know of what i speak.

PM me if need any other pearls of wisdom

I thought I was going nuts there for a bit.

Heres my recommendations.

On your way down to DC from gettysburg, RT 15 turns into 270. get off at the Urbana exit, go a 1/2 mile take a right and you are at the Cracked Claw. If it is dinner time, good family style food and an OTB to boot!!!!!! Just an idea if your travel times include anything between 3-7 pm. Do NOT get anywhere south of Rockville MD at these times if it is a weekday afternoon.

Whilst in DC, I highly suggest the Postal Museum, the National Building Museum, the Portrait Museum, and the Frederick Douglas house as not overally populated with tourists, and all way cool places. If you have car, the Air and Space near Dulles is way better than the Air and Space on the Mall.

Also, the National Cathedral on Wisconsin is pretty cool, specially if you have never been to any of the cathedrals in europe.

Great place to eat with the kids in the District would either be Two Amys, just awesome pizza in a cool neighborhood, or Cafe Deluxe near the cathedral for a rather cool place that the kids will be fine with.

BTW, the Zoo is good as well. And if Pops gets a little tired, head out the front entrance on Connecticut Ave, and directly across the street is the Zoo Bar. All locals, cheap beer(for DC), but only, and I mean only, get a burger, NO other food. This place is only for libations!!!!!

I lived two blocks from the zoo for close to six years, I know of what i speak.

PM me if need any other pearls of wisdom

Why not recommend dogs and beer at Vienna Inn while you're at it. Bad dogs, flat beer and abuse from the waitress what else can you ask for.

Any suggestions on what to see in Gettysburg?

I was there as a kid but don't remember much. Just the tools to cut someones leg off...get them liquor'd and CUT!

Basically you turn around the battlefield ending at the cemetery where Lincoln made his famous speech. That sounds dull said like that but the visit is really interesting. Did it in the middle of winter, the place snowy and basically desert just before sunset and it was almost a spiritual experience for me...

And Huntsville is about the most boring US city i ever visited... Only interesting things in that area: the Shiloh Battlefield and the Jack Daniel's distillery. Well in fact the road from the blues bars of Memphis to the Chatanooga battlefield via Shiloh and Lynchburg makes a nice trip.

I thought the Shiloh battlefield was in Tennessee.

I thought the Shiloh battlefield was in Tennessee.

yes it is. From Memphis to Chatanooga via shiloh and Lynchburg the road stays in Tenn.

Shiloh is almost at the point where Ala-Tenn and Mississipi meet.

Huntsville is just a few miles south east of that area in northern Ala.