Best option now that no WR is worth #11

No WR is worth #11, so who would you pick if these are avaialable at tha spot?

OLB Keith Rivers

DE Derrick Harvey

CB Leiodis McClendon or whichever other one you prefer

I'd be content with the best of these or even a top OL or D, but don't think I could turn down Rivers. He might play special teams at first, until we see if Mitchell is really any good. If - as I suspect - he is just average, then Rivers would be quickly on the field.

I'd have to agree with you. IF I were the GM or whatever the Bills call it now, this would be my first 4 rounds of the draft....

#1 Keith Rivers, LB, USC

Trade the #2 and the first #4 to Cincinnati for WR Chad Johnson (Hey why not)

#3 Reggie Smith, CB, OU

#4 Kellen Davis, TE, Mich St

The Bills had a defense rated in the bottom 5. Upgrading the front 7 can never be bad. We also need a real WR opposite Lee Evans and a bold move is needed if we want to win this season. WR's take time to develop. Although Chad Johnson might be 30, he still has several good years ahead of him. Reggie Smith was at one time a first round projection and Davis has dropped due to "character" issues. All of the above are real good footbal players and that's what the Bills need.

Flame away!!! :D

Not sure why you would consider DE a priority in Round 1. Schobel and Kelsay are entrenched as the starters and the Bills have locked them up contactually. That was done for a reason. On top od that, the Bills have Denney.... and I don't care what the dufusses on this board think... Denney would start on a few NFL teams... is is an extremely competent DE... especially against the run. Add to the mix Spencer Johnson, who will assume the Anthony Hargrove role as a situational pass rusher, inside and off the edge as Hargrove did, and I don't see another DE as a priority.

I splained my position... now, splain yours so I cna understand.

Because you can never have too many blue chip pass rushers.... You're thinking about this season, while a GM is thinking about 3 seasons from now as well.... Will schobel stay healthy? Will he remain effective? If we used a rotation would we be more effective getting to the QB?

it will all depend on who falls to #11 and IF anyone rings the phone looking to move..... but I think a CB or DE would be a fine selection if they are studs..... heck take the player and someone who was hoping he'd fall might make a trade with you ala the Giants and Manning...... ya never know what a high demand player will do for your team without even playing a down....

If they take a LB, don't be surprised if they take Dan Connor even if Rivers is there. Rivers has amazing athleticism but nowhere near the instincts that Connor has, and those instincts are a major difference in the cover 2 defense.

No WR is worth #11, so who would you pick if these are avaialable at tha spot?

OLB Keith Rivers

DE Derrick Harvey

CB Leiodis McClendon or whichever other one you prefer

I'd be content with the best of these or even a top OL or D, but don't think I could turn down Rivers. He might play special teams at first, until we see if Mitchell is really any good. If - as I suspect - he is just average, then Rivers would be quickly on the field.

Harvey, Harvey, Harvey, and never look back.

Not sure why you would consider DE a priority in Round 1. Schobel and Kelsay are entrenched as the starters and the Bills have locked them up contactually. That was done for a reason. On top od that, the Bills have Denney.... and I don't care what the dufusses on this board think... Denney would start on a few NFL teams... is is an extremely competent DE... especially against the run. Add to the mix Spencer Johnson, who will assume the Anthony Hargrove role as a situational pass rusher, inside and off the edge as Hargrove did, and I don't see another DE as a priority.

I splained my position... now, splain yours so I cna understand.

I agree with alot of what you said, I like Denney and he doea not get enough due. Kelsey on the other hand I think is overvalued by this franchise. Schobel is over 30 and coming off his worst year as a pro. Alot can be said that the talent around him was terrible but his rookie year the talent was bad and he still got 8 sacks or more. I personally would rather they target LB or DE to make our front seven better. At LB we have Crowell who is also overvalued by this team, Mitchell who has been a career journeymen, and POZ who has only played three games as a pro. I like what they did in free agency dont get me wrong but I would like them to make this front seven dominant. I know WR is a huge need, I just feel that a strong front seven will be better over the long haul then addressing our WR position with so many questionable WR(both Character and talent wise) in this draft. I might be biased because I hate how so many WR become headcases and bigger then the team personalities. Ofcourse I am working 3 doubles in a row this weekend second and third shifts no less, so I am beat and going to get some sleep, maybe I will feel different when I wake up, but I doubt it.

Watch the tape of the Giants Patriots superbowl then watch any tape of the Bills versus the Pats pressure pressure pressure. It comes from front 7 guys.

yes defense wins

my formula for this bills team starts with getting rid of losman and an overrated malcontent lee evans

trade them

get some pass rushers

you can always pick up WRs in the draft

Watch the tape of the Giants Patriots superbowl then watch any tape of the Bills versus the Pats pressure pressure pressure. It comes from front 7 guys.

My hat is off to you. You "get it". :cry: The front 7 is really what makes everything happen on defense.

I'll say this about drafting a DE #1.... unless their name is Bruce Smith, their skill will be neutralized very easily if their is not a monumental presence in the middle. If the inside guys command a double team, then the outside guys will have a field day. With McCargo coming on, and, if (big if) Stroud is the same player he was two seasons ago, then Kelsay, Denney, Schobel, and Johnson are going to have a feast this season.... BUT, if Stroud is like five other DTs that were traded over the past 3 or so seasons (Courtney Brown, Jimmy Kennedy, Gerard Warren, Corey Simon, Bugar McFarland), then we got ripped off. If Stroud isn't who he was, gets injured, suspended, it is going to be another long season on the shores of Lake Erie. Therefore... my personal 1st pick would be a dominat DT. I won't put a name to that person because I'm not sure who the best fit is for this team right now.... all I know is it's imperitive to get a really good one, and NOW.

In a nutshell... the hopes and dreams of any significant move forward hinge on the middle of the defense... that's on McCargo and Stroud. Offensively, the offensive line is above average but could use a more physical presence at Center... but the biggest difference maker on offense this season will be Trent Edwards... Our beloved Bills will only be as good, offensively, as he is. Marshawn has a big traget on his jersey and defenses will be stacking the line to stop him... so, it's up to Edwards to administer a poison pill to those defenses that choose to put all of their eggs in one basket to stop Marshawn.

I'll say this about drafting a DE #1.... unless their name is Bruce Smith, their skill will be neutralized very easily if their is not a monumental presence in the middle. If the inside guys command a double team, then the outside guys will have a field day. With McCargo coming on, and, if (big if) Stroud is the same player he was two seasons ago, then Kelsay, Denney, Schobel, and Johnson are going to have a feast this season.... BUT, if Stroud is like five other DTs that were traded over the past 3 or so seasons (Courtney Brown, Jimmy Kennedy, Gerard Warren, Corey Simon, Bugar McFarland), then we got ripped off. If Stroud isn't who he was, gets injured, suspended, it is going to be another long season on the shores of Lake Erie. Therefore... my personal 1st pick would be a dominat DT. I won't put a name to that person because I'm not sure who the best fit is for this team right now.... all I know is it's imperitive to get a really good one, and NOW.

In a nutshell... the hopes and dreams of any significant move forward hinge on the middle of the defense... that's on McCargo and Stroud.

If we don't get really lucky and pick up Ellis (who's more of a one-gap), I keep wondering if we don't draft Stroud's backup... say a guy like Kentwan Balmer (two-gap) to compete with Kyle Williams behind Stroud... He might be a "reach" at 11, but if the Bills are lucky enough to trade down, he could be an option...

If they stay at 11, getting a guy to back up Crowell (he currently has no back up listed) at SLB and possibly replace him when he becomes a UFA next offseason could really help take pressure off their DL... Rivers might be an excellent option if there...

If nothing else, their cover-2 scheme depends more on the front 7, so any options there in the first will help them even more combined with the Stroud, Mitchell, and Johnson signings.

Devin Thomas at 11 is best option if Ellis and Dorsey are gone

Agreed again Pete...

And Folks, just because the "experts" are saying no WR is worth #11 Overall don't think for one second that is The Bills opinion on the subject...If You do believe that...well...You're setting yourself up for some MAJOR heartache come Draft Day. Consider that this is the same Team who in 2007 took a SS at #8 overall (that in itself says enough), and then Drafted a DT at #21 Overall that was rated by most a 2nd Rounder at best. And just last Year these same Bills took a RB at #12 that many "experts" had rated as a mid-late 1st Round talent...

The way the Bills look at The Draft, I believe, is a bit different than some...It's almost like when The Bills know they are higher on a Player than most Teams are, they expect another Team to be of the same opinion... So when it comes around to their turn, and the Kid is still on the Board, they take him and don't look back...

My gut tells Me the Bills take Devin Thomas at #11 and don't look back...But heck, I've been wrong plenty of times before...We'll see... :cry: