Donahoe news........

HelloNewman

POSTED 5:43 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2004

DONAHOE LOSING HIS JUICE IN BUFFALO?

A credible league source tells us that release of receiver Bobby Shaw by the Buffalo Bills was a decision made not by G.M. Tom Donahoe, but by head coach Mike Mularkey -- and that the move represents the first tangible piece of evidence that owner Ralph Wilson is reducing Donahoe's role.

Per the source, Donahoe wanted to keep Shaw, whom Donahoe drafted six years ago while in Pittsburgh and signed as a free agent in 2003. But Mularkey wanted to get rid of Shaw, and in the end Wilson went with the recommendation of his head coach.

The obvious implication here is that the power is shifting in the front office away from Donahoe and toward Mularkey. And, predictably, Donahoe remains out of sight in the wake of Wilson's biting comments from Sunday regarding the poor performance of the team.

Wait...dont coaches cut players all the time?

70804[/snapback]

I believe you're right, the coaches are the ones that cut players not GM's. How the hell is this even news. :w00t: Other than someone trying to stir the pot again.

POSTED 5:43 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2004

DONAHOE LOSING HIS JUICE IN BUFFALO?

A credible league source tells us that release of receiver Bobby Shaw by the Buffalo Bills was a decision made not by G.M. Tom Donahoe, but by head coach Mike Mularkey -- and that the move represents the first tangible piece of evidence that owner Ralph Wilson is reducing Donahoe's role.

Per the source, Donahoe wanted to keep Shaw, whom Donahoe drafted six years ago while in Pittsburgh and signed as a free agent in 2003.  But Mularkey wanted to get rid of Shaw, and in the end Wilson went with the recommendation of his head coach.

The obvious implication here is that the power is shifting in the front office away from Donahoe and toward Mularkey.  And, predictably, Donahoe remains out of sight in the wake of Wilson's biting comments from Sunday regarding the poor performance of the team.

70781[/snapback]

What a load of stevestojan. Does he think of this crap on his own, or does he get ideas from the Donahoe Haters Anonymous meetings?

That website sucks. No offense to you HelloNewman, but do yourself a favor and stop wasting your time on that crap and find a different "source." The one you used above is a joke.

You know,just because the rumor comes from a very uncredible news,well...news is a strong word,football site,doesn't mean that a valid point was not made in the comment in some form and at least brought to light..

Donahoe is usally very vocal and would love to pound his chest in a case like this when he cuts a player as a show of power because a player was under preforming or what not on his team,supposedly our team.Donahoe has also been admitedly absent since the famous Ralph Wilson blast on Monday,is it hard to at least believe that maybe Mularkey went to Ralph and ironed it out and made things more favorable for himself in the process.. :w00t:

<snip>Donahoe is usally very vocal and would love to pound his chest in a case like this when he cuts a player as a show of power...,</snip> 

70845[/snapback]

Oh? :w00t:

Name one instance where he was "very vocal" about a cut. When, exactly, has he "pounded his chest" as a show of power over a cut player?

Unbelievable , just unbelievable. I don't understand the need to manufacture stories that aren't even true...

70851[/snapback]

Entertainment value. :w00t:

I don't believe most of what Florio writes, but he is always a good read,

and he does provide some good links to other stories.

Oh? :lol:

Name one instance where he was "very vocal" about a cut.  When, exactly, has he "pounded his chest" as a show of power over a cut player?

70849[/snapback]

Well,I think that's just it,he hasn't cut enough players,he may be at fault for holding on to players too long,I never said he pounds his chest and bragged about cutting a player,I picture him as a guy who would be more then happy to talk about it though and do it,if he had a hand in it. But he hasn't been shy about parading new players around when he has brought them in or patting himself on his back for that,such as Drew,to try and make himself look wonderful or the 15 minute after start of free agencey signing of Posey,how many weeks did we have to hear about that,that was touted as a shrewd move.. :w00t:

Guest BillsRebound

I think Donahoe is a good GM but he has had too much power here. If you were one of his guys, you didn't have to worry about your spot on the team. If true, Mularkey taking a larger role is a positive trend. The GM should control contract situations and the GM and Coach should be on equal footing for personnel decisions, but during the season, it is the Coach's team. He sees and interacts with the players the most. Plus if the GM is too powerful, the players will not listen or respect the Coach as much.

But he hasn't been shy about parading new players around when he has brought them in or patting himself on his back for that,such as Drew,to try and make himself look wonderful or the 15 minute after start of free agencey signing of Posey,how many weeks did we have to hear about that,that was touted as a shrewd move.. :w00t:

70869[/snapback]

I follow.

But 2,000 fans showed up to welcome DB, and most of us, me for sure, were pleased that we brought in an experienced pro. Remember, we were looking at Rodney Peete too.

And I find it hard to find fault with TD that Empire, Bflo News, ESPN, internet message boards et al trumpeted the move to get Posey. He's a solid if unspectacular young LB, and was an upgrade to the position.

The accusations as TD being some kind of meglomaniacal GM are unfounded, and those who espouse them are mindless lemmings following the flock, IMO.

As I mentioned before, TD didn't draft Shaw (Seattle did), so TD's ego isn't really involved here as much as Florio would like to think. It's not like Shaw was highly-paid either or considered a top WR. On top of that, the report is that Mularkey cut him. Wow! I'm sure he told TD who said "do what you need to do." Big story. If the report said Mularkey cut him WITHOUT TD's knowledge or against TD's wishes, it would be a story.

If anything I wish TD would exercise more public control of the team. His style and one of our problems has struck me that he has been too passive/aggressive about things in that his strategy for never getting fired and run out of town by a guy he hired as happened in Pitts with Cowher seems to be to hire an HC and then to let him make his own bed through the HC getting his way over TDs non-public objections. When the Bills raft hits the rocks as the HCs decisions fail, then it is the HC who ends uo bearng the blame for making a bad decision despite TDs advice.

This view can easily be wrong because I'm not inisde OBD and do not now (unlike PFW seems to claim) what really motovates TD or Ralph. However, this view of the word seems to fit things we can see in terms of bad decisions by GW.

1. TD let him pick his own lieutenants after GW was hired and GW made some bad choices such as hiring the not-ready-for-primetime Sheppard to be his OC. Sheppard was so bad even GW agreed or pushed canning him despite spending Ralph's money for nothing on the time left in Sheppard's contract. It appears that hiring Sheppard was GW's idea from his lists and not TDs though TD clearly gave GW too much ability to hire his own guys though because they were not ready TD deserves his share of the blame even if the specific bodies were not his idea (letting GW hire his buudy Vinky and then Ruel as OL coach should not have happened.

2. TD let GW pick Kevin Kildrive as his new OC over TDs proposal which was to hire Clements. As an outsider I made the mistake of assuming that KG wasa TD choice because of their past history, but various souces including public statements by TD now reveal that TD was a Clements man and GW hired KG over TDs recomendation. I can see why GW would do this because KG was damaged goods and controllable because GW was seemingly insecure about his lack of O experience, but TD never should allowed this to happen as KG clearly was not up to snuff.

3. TD seemed to eventually hire his buddies in areas where GW clearly failed to produce such as hiring LeBeau to retool the Bills D scheme after the GW/Gray scheme failed to produce (particularly after they attempted to rely on old GW hands Robinson at LB and Jenkins at S after they were done as players). Bringing in TD buddy and former OC Steckel as RB coach was a good move as a replacement was right there to control or replace KG if he failed, but TD never oulled the trigger on this despite our o scheme being predictable and sucking last year.

In the end (which we are quickly nearing) TDs big mistake in my mind was hiring an HC he could beat if it ca

Did TD keep bring ing up what a great move it was to sign Posey so quick or did the media and fans? Seems every move that fans and media are are ripping TD for these days they applauded him for at the time they were made.

If TD loves to look great and thump his chest out like everyone seems to think, then why isn't he even listed in the media guide?

The thing about TD is he's a much more politically correct GM than we had in the past. JB and BP were two people who wore their emotions on their sleeve and the media liked that. TD is very calculated in what he says. And granted TD did take alot of heat from the media (in this case maybe deserved) for his comments last year about being embarrased about people in Buffalo.