Tankless Hot Water Heater

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on doing it. Don't know when yet, but since our current tank is out of warranty, I've been looking into it a little. One thing everything I've read/heard is don't skimp on the gallons per minute to save money. You won't like it when you're in the shower and someone starts the dishwasher and/or laundry.

I'm sure you've already seen some of these....

Buyers guide

Hometime - scroll most of the way down

Summary of benefits

Hot water tank sh_t the bed this weekend. I am thinking of installing a tankless system.

Has anyone tried this? Are you happy with the results?

The house that I bought last year has a tankless system. The inspector I talked to said these systems have greatly improved in efficiency and reliability the last ten years or so and were a good way to go.

I'm planning on doing it. Don't know when yet, but since our current tank is out of warranty, I've been looking into it a little. One thing everything I've read/heard is don't skimp on the gallons per minute to save money. You won't like it when you're in the shower and someone starts the dishwasher and/or laundry.

I'm sure you've already seen some of these....

Buyers guide

Hometime - scroll most of the way down

Summary of benefits

Thanks for the links. I've been researching all weekend. I need to get some quotes tomorrow.

What brand Tankless is the best?

I can't say much on the subject. I researched it a couple of years ago but the only place in town that sold them warned me off because the water in Alaska is so cold that the things have a hard time warming it. I don't know it it's still the case but it's something to find out about if you have cold winters...

My sister lives outside Baltimore and she and my brother in law just had a house built last year. They have a tankless system and it worked great even with my whole family there visiting. I'd recommed it. I thought the top end hot water wouldn't be that hot but I was wrong it's scalding hot.

Hot water tank sh_t the bed this weekend. I am thinking of installing a tankless system.

Has anyone tried this? Are you happy with the results?

I have one. Never had a problem with it, and never had to wait any longer than I did with a tank for hot water. Pretty cool technology and really space efficient as well.

I have one. Never had a problem with it, and never had to wait any longer than I did with a tank for hot water. Pretty cool technology and really space efficient as well.

Who is the manufacturer of yours? I'm getting some quotes today and I need to make a quick decision. No hot water now for two days and counting.

We have had a Rinnai (gas) for 3 years with no problems - absolutely a great product. We installed it outside of the house but built it into an unobtrusive edge and painted it to match the house - it looks like a power panel. We vented it there rather than putting in underneath the house. We have a crawlspace so that seemed the best option but another placement may be a better option for you.

(edit after eball's reply): We have not had a problem with load: one unit, family of 4, frequent guests, 3 showers, front-load washer, dishwasher, etc. Never have experienced any issues or received any complaints about water pressure when units were running simultaneously. Only one tankless system. Could water pressure issues pertain to that delivered to the house rather than from the tankless hot water system? If so, I recall seeing something about a water pressure boost that could be added to a tankless system.

I had a Rinnai installed when we built our current house, so I can give you nearly two years of feedback.

In 21 months there have been no failures or repair issues. I keep it set at 125 degrees year-round. If I have any complaint, it's that locations farthest from the heater take a while to heat up -- but I don't believe that's a fault of the system. The water just takes time to run through the pipes. In our master bathroom -- the closest location to the heater -- the water is hot within seconds. It's pretty remarkable.

The only other issue is load. We don't overwork the heater because it's just my wife and I (no kids), so we rarely have multiple showers running. I notice a pressure drop when I'm in the shower and the dishwasher or washing machine are on, but I've never experienced a loss of heat. Same goes for guests using other bathrooms upstairs (never had a complaint). I suppose I ought to test it by turning on three showers and the washing machine at once, but I've never done that.

Edit: I seem to recall reading something in the literature about the heater being able to support 3-4 appliances (showers, washing machine, dishwasher) running at once. If load is an issue, they recommend multiple units.

Based upon my experience I certainly recommend the Rinnai product.

In 21 months there have been no failures or repair issues. I keep it set at 125 degrees year-round. If I have any complaint, it's that locations farthest from the heater take a while to heat up -- but I don't believe that's a fault of the system. The water just takes time to run through the pipes. In our master bathroom -- the closest location to the heater -- the water is hot within seconds. It's pretty remarkable.

We have that same problem with our kitchen (the pipe run is obscenely long, it takes about four minutes for the hot water to make it to the faucet). I believe they make small, under-the-sink tankless water heaters for just that sort of situation; we're looking in to getting one.

Every plumber I've talked to, though, warns against tankless heaters. They say they're unreliable and uneconomical for anything smaller than commerical use.

We have that same problem with our kitchen (the pipe run is obscenely long, it takes about four minutes for the hot water to make it to the faucet). I believe they make small, under-the-sink tankless water heaters for just that sort of situation; we're looking in to getting one.

Every plumber I've talked to, though, warns against tankless heaters. They say they're unreliable and uneconomical for anything smaller than commerical use.

I've heard the same regarding reliability. I was going to get one because it takes forever to get the hot water to the shower in our master bath. I called regarding the tankless and they said that wouldn't solve the problem. Tankless are only good if you use lots of hot water (more than your heater will hold). Seeing that it's just me and my wife in the house that's not an issue, we never run out. Just got a new regular heater a couple of weeks ago and it's great. We may just put a booster heater in the bathroom so we don't waste water waiting for hot water. That's what pisses me off. We're in an area prone to draughts and to have all that water just go down the drain every morning kills me.

Interesting; I ought to look into the small heater for our kitchen as well, because the delay is similar to what you indicate.

I wonder if the plumbers you're consulting are still thinking about earlier models, because I know those were notoriously unreliable. I do believe ours has kept gas costs down, and as I noted earlier, we haven't had a lick of trouble. Ours is installed on the wall in the corner of the garage (vented outside).

I've heard the same regarding reliability. I was going to get one because it takes forever to get the hot water to the shower in our master bath. I called regarding the tankless and they said that wouldn't solve the problem. Tankless are only good if you use lots of hot water (more than your heater will hold). Seeing that it's just me and my wife in the house that's not an issue, we never run out. Just got a new regular heater a couple of weeks ago and it's great. We may just put a booster heater in the bathroom so we don't waste water waiting for hot water. That's what pisses me off. We're in an area prone to draughts and to have all that water just go down the drain every morning kills me.

Actually, Chef, the tankless heaters are more economical (compared to tanks) the LESS hot water you use.

Actually, Chef, the tankless heaters are more economical (compared to tanks) the LESS hot water you use.

Agreed. The big energy savings comes from no longer keeping a tankful of hot water at temperature "on standby." There is the added benefit of never running out of hot water, though.

Agreed. The big energy savings comes from no longer keeping a tankful of hot water at temperature "on standby." There is the added benefit of never running out of hot water, though.

And in my house, the added benefit of not having a 75-gallon tank of water on the upper floor of the house. My biggest fear is that tank bursts and floods the kitchen and living room below, and there's nowhere on the lower floor to relocate a tank (and no basement). I may end up getting a tankless heater just for that peace of mind.

Maybe over the long run. How much do one of them cost with istallation? How much is it actually costing me to keep my hot water heater hot? My gas bill runs me about $20 in the summer when I don't use my heat so how much of that is actually coming from my water heater? If the tankless is roughly the same as my regular heater then it would make sense.

Maybe over the long run. How much do one of them cost with istallation? How much is it actually costing me to keep my hot water heater hot? My gas bill runs me about $20 in the summer when I don't use my heat so how much of that is actually coming from my water heater? If the tankless is roughly the same as my regular heater then it would make sense.

I would have had to put in a brand new electrical box had I choose the Tankless. $1500.00.

Bottom line -- tank is always on, tankless only comes on as needed. The less hot water you use, the more economical the tankless.

I would have had to put in a brand new electrical box had I choose the Tankless. $1500.00.

They've got this new technology out that lets you upgrade your water heater without using any extra electricity. It's called "gas"...

:ph34r: