How Many People Do You Know That Believe The Earth

Steely Dan

Age Of The Earth  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Do You Think The Earth Is? Read All Choices B4 Deciding.

• 10, 000 years
    • Millions of years
    • 10,000 years and if you think different you can't be Christian
    • You can be Christian and believe the earth is millions of years old
    • People who think 10,000 years are nuts.
    • People who think millions are nuts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billions are made of millions! :unsure:

And millions are made of tens of thousands! :blink:

I'm sure I know people who believe that but none that I've ever spoke to about it. I knew scores of Christians (including several priests) who understand the basic facts of science and evolution, and that the Bible and other Christian scriptures are not necessarily meant to be taken literally.

I saw a news story last week about the Creationist museum, where families take their kids to learn about the "facts" of creationist theory. It might be in Missouri. It showed a group of kids answering questions from a museum guide. "How do we know that the earth is 6,000 years old?", he asked. A kid answered, "Because the Bible says it was, and the Bible tells the truth". The museum has dioramas showing how humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time. The curators were asked by the reporter about the fact that dinosaur and human remains have never been found at the same levels of excavated sediments. They replied that there are some facts that do conflict with creationism, but they don't dwell on them.

I just found out someone who I respect a lot believes the earth is 10,000 years old. :unsure:

I guess evolution, carbon dating, plate tectonics and geology are all wrong!! :blink: The only thing that proves the earths true age is a book of mythology.

Which one is more fantasy?

"The Earth is 10,000 years old."

or

"Government can solve all our problems."

or even better.....

"I never heard Rev. Wright say anything bad."

Weither it is or not, Science can't always be taken as the ultimate truth either, it is a man made thing. Carbon Dating, geology, it was all created at one point by man

As far as I am concerned, the earth isn't any older then about 25 years, cause before i came around, there wasn't a world, and how do I really know there was anything before I was born?

Weither it is or not, Science can't always be taken as the ultimate truth either, it is a man made thing. Carbon Dating, geology, it was all created at one point by man

As far as I am concerned, the earth isn't any older then about 25 years, cause before i came around, there wasn't a world, and how do I really know there was anything before I was born?

Rene Descartes? Is that you?

I had a friend who was a doctor; so he has studied the core sciences throughout his life, which he now uses in his profession every day. We got into this long conversation about evolution and he being a born again Christian would not accept the science behind the age of the Earth nor evolution. It was bizarre. A day later he nonchalantly dropped a book on my desk written by a Christian author debunking geological evidence and other science to prove that stories in the Bible are literal.

He also told me that since I wasn’t Christian and didn’t accept Jesus, I was doomed to hell fire, even if I was a decent human being even by Christian standards.

:unsure:

I was talking with some people about Indian religion and they were laughing about it when I said, well, they had a prayer for rain in Georgia few months back, and this one guys lights up and said "it worked!" He brought me the news story later and a weather report about how it rained the next day.

Ummmmm....ok

I don't think its one or the other in this debate

I believe that something/someone had to create all of this, who said that a "god" didn't create the "Big Bang" to get everything started? Why is it that its so unbelievable to christians that there were dinosaurs before us, and that we evolved into what we are know, still believing there is a god, and all the stuff about Jesus is true?

I saw a news story last week about the Creationist museum, where families take their kids to learn about the "facts" of creationist theory. It might be in Missouri. It showed a group of kids answering questions from a museum guide. "How do we know that the earth is 6,000 years old?", he asked. A kid answered, "Because the Bible says it was, and the Bible tells the truth". The museum has dioramas showing how humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time. The curators were asked by the reporter about the fact that dinosaur and human remains have never been found at the same levels of excavated sediments. They replied that there are some facts that do conflict with creationism, but they don't dwell on them.

Project Steve

Ali G vs. Ken Hovind. 6:50

:wallbash: Trust me the world was here more than 25 years but it didn't turn to color until the mid sixties. That's why all of the old film is black and white. :unsure:

From Wiki

In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behavior are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the theory of general relativity.

Things don't fall to the earth I guess because it's only theory. :blink:

As a rule, people who really believe most anything, scare me.

People who are scared of people who really believe anything scare me! :wallbash: Can you believe that!!

I had a friend who was a doctor; so he has studied the core sciences throughout his life, which he now uses in his profession every day. We got into this long conversation about evolution and he being a born again Christian would not accept the science behind the age of the Earth nor evolution. It was bizarre. A day later he nonchalantly dropped a book on my desk written by a Christian author debunking geological evidence and other science to prove that stories in the Bible are literal.

He also told me that since I wasn’t Christian and didn’t accept Jesus, I was doomed to hell fire, even if I was a decent human being even by Christian standards.

:lol:

These People Are True Believers Creationists are very skeptical of science until their lives are on the line. I guess God really hated the people who existed before pain killers, anti-biotics, careful surgery and better understanding of the human body because he let a lot of them die very painful deaths.

I don't think its one or the other in this debate

I believe that something/someone had to create all of this, who said that a "god" didn't create the "Big Bang" to get everything started? Why is it that its so unbelievable to christians that there were dinosaurs before us, and that we evolved into what we are know, still believing there is a god, and all the stuff about Jesus is true?

Because the Bible's stories only go back 10,000 years and nothing existed before the Bible claims it existed. Why dinosaurs are never mentioned in the Bible is beyond me.