Housing prices in buff?

mcjeff215

Did I say anything about Los Angeles? From my house or office I'm 15 minutes away from a world class symphony hall with world class perfomers, 10 minutes away from several world class hotels, 15 minutes away from world class beaches, 20 minutes away from world class art galleries, 30 minutes away from a world class theme park, 30 minutes away from a world class baseball team. I could go on and on. And guess what, I would never set foot in LA county and the largest city that I would set foot in would have a population of about 350,000.

how far are you from Van Nuys...they have some world class.....................

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is all of those world class things I said are very close to where I work and live are all pretty much available in the Buffalo area. Great symphony, art galleries, restaurants etc, etc. It may not be considered a world class city but it has plenty to of things to do, you don't have to go to Toronto. Buffalo doesn't as much have an economic or political problems (which it does) as much as it has a self esteem problem.

I still take the 20 minute drive (during rush hour, maybe 25 minutes) into the city often for a Sabres game (30 minutes to OP for the Bills) or to go to some great restaurants or bars.

where in Amherst do you live? traffic after a Bills game in Orchard Park is so bad that I've seen men get out of their cars on the 90, drop a deuce and get back in, women I've seen get out, pop a squat to pee and hop back into their cars...

where in Amherst do you live? traffic after a Bills game in Orchard Park is so bad that I've seen men get out of their cars on the 90, drop a deuce and get back in, women I've seen get out, pop a squat to pee and hop back into their cars...

You mean the out-of-towners who don't have enough local knowledge to avoid the 219 or North Abbott Road?

I live near Williamsville North and avoid the 90 like the plague on my way home from Bills games. I usually tailgate after anyway and wait the traffic out a bit, then hop on the 190 to get back to Amherst. The 190 is a much smoother drive, a little busy by the Peace bridge, but other than that it's pretty light traffic.

That's why I bought a house in OP - 2.5 miles from the stadium! :beer:

I wonder how much of those growth numbers are residual effect from Katrina.

Detroit lost more than three times as many people as any other metro area — its population declined more than 27,300. Other areas losing more than 5,000 people were Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Ga., Youngstown, Ohio, and Buffalo, N.Y.

5000 people? Just curious did the schools layoff the appropriate amount of teachers this past year since they no longer are needed. Government support staff? Others?

Or did they just raise everyone taxes another 10% to cover the loss?

The city of Buffalo is a mess, there's no denying that fact. The new regime does have some good ideas and have been developing some areas, but there is a long long way to go. But don't define living in the Buffalo area as just living in the city. The suburbs are absolutely thriving! There are restaurants, new housing, and businesses popping up like crazy. I live in Amherst and my house is assessed at around $230,000, and yes the taxes do suck, I pay 6 grand in taxes as Amherst has one of the highest tax bases in Erie county. But for a 2400 sq foot, 4 bed room, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage, very big yard, in a great/safe community and neighborhood, it's not too bad. I still take the 20 minute drive (during rush hour, maybe 25 minutes) into the city often for a Sabres game (30 minutes to OP for the Bills) or to go to some great restaurants or bars. There are many restaurants in Buffalo that I have heard great things about, but just haven't had to opportunity to do them all. So the restaurant and bar business is definitely alive and well in the city. And with summer just around the corner, there are a lot of events concerts, festivals, and events happening in the downtown area as well. GO BUFFALO!!!

And there in lies the City's problem... Sprawl.

The mine as well demolish the city.

Comment of the year..... :thumbsup:

I was joking!

But... Think about HOW the city was planned and exactly what is or has been happening...

Look at what they did with the interstate and say the 190 (Niagara Section, NYS Thruway)... It is doing what is was exactly planned to do... Bypass people right PAST BFLO. Look at Delaware Park.

BFLO was the first city in the nation to have all paved roads... In essence, it worked well early on... Not too well now!

If they only could start over.

Again... Take a closer look and at history. The "radial" plan and system set up naturally pushes out away from the city.

I wonder how much of those growth numbers are residual effect from Katrina.

There are quite a number of families that decided to stay put in this area after fleeing Katrina, but the area continues to grow. Plenty of corp. headquarters in the area continue to attract folks to the area. I searched for #s related to Katrina but couldn't come up with anything quickly.

There's still plenty of land here for developing and while the housing industry has slowed, it is nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country.

There are quite a number of families that decided to stay put in this area after fleeing Katrina, but the area continues to grow. Plenty of corp. headquarters in the area continue to attract folks to the area. I searched for #s related to Katrina but couldn't come up with anything quickly.

There's still plenty of land here for developing and while the housing industry has slowed, it is nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country.

what corp headquarters besides HSBC? Labatt?

anything high tech that will keep students from moving?

more of these companies

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=63705&hl=

won't help keep young people around

taxpayers can keep funding college educations and then ship people out of state