If Doug Flutie had started that game...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. And I think we would have gone on to beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. So, I wouldn't be posting today because the day the Bills win it all is the day I "retire" from watching football.

Agreed. Titans would have just had to kneel down a few times and go on to fall one yard short of tying the SB. The QB change was made to give the team a chance to score points in the playoffs. No one in the organization believed Flutie could do that. In spite of a saftey, Johnson delivered the lead on the road against an undefeated home team with 16 ticks left.

I, too, believe the Bills would have fared better in the SB.

Since we're doing "if's"

If Ferguson didn’t have a gimpy ankle against the Chargers in 81

If they didn’t get a delay of game against Bengals in 82

If Harmon hadn’t dropped the ball against Browns in 90

If Kelly hadn’t thrown a pick on the next play

If the defense could’ve tackled Ingram in SB 25

If Kelly hadn’t gotten injured in SB 27

If Thurman hadn’t fumbled in SB 28

If Flutie wasn’t sacked against Dolphins in 99

If the officials had eyes against Titans in 00

If they could’ve beaten the Steelers second string in 04

If they could’ve held the lead against Titans in 06

If they could've held late game leads in 07

You Flutie fans need to get over it. The man had one good season, his first, other than that he was mediocre to poor. I'll give him credit for bringing some excitement to the game, bjut he wasn't the answer. Just look at his stats. The only reason we made the playoffs that year was thanks to the "D" and Special teams.

I'm just sayin...

Completely agreed. Theres no way flutie would have come close to putting even 16 on the board, after the piss-poor offensive output we'd had all season long with him under center. The final would have been something like 15-6 titans, and would have just been a WC loss instead of a heartbreak.

Since we're doing "if's"

If Ferguson didn’t have a gimpy ankle against the Chargers in 81

If they didn’t get a delay of game against Bengals in 82

If Harmon hadn’t dropped the ball against Browns in 90

If Kelly hadn’t thrown a pick on the next play

If the defense could’ve tackled Ingram in SB 25

If Kelly hadn’t gotten injured in SB 27

If Thurman hadn’t fumbled in SB 28

If Flutie wasn’t sacked against Dolphins in 99

If the officials had eyes against Titans in 00

If they could’ve beaten the Steelers second string in 04

If they could’ve held the lead against Titans in 06

If they could've held late game leads in 07

You can't blame Flutie for the Miami '99 loss. Moulds fumbled a sure touchdown bomb from Flutie on the first play of the game.

Rob Johnson wasn't a great QB and neither was Flutie- that being said, Johnson led us on a great two-minute drill to take the lead.

Flutie's arm got worse and worse as that season wore on, becoming more and more inaccurate. I don't think we win that game regardless of who is under center.

I wish we still had that defense though....it was awesome.....not to mention Eric Moulds!

Everyone forgets that we went into the Titans game with 3 healthy "starters" on the O-line. We came out of the game with one. Not a chance in hell were we making the bowl that year. Let it go................

Not to mention, RJ led the team down the field with just under two minutes to play and got us into THE LEAD! 16-15 with 22 seconds to play. The fact is, two things cost us that game, and neither of them had anything to do with the QB. The ST did not stay in their lanes and they gave up a terrible play. However, it was a terrible play that was ILLEGAL. Look again at the angles and the aerial view. Most commentators now agree. The pass was an illegal forward lateral, and I guarantee that if the game had been played in Buffalo and not Tennessee, that play is called back. The refs and special teams lost us that game. It had nothing to do with the QB.

Everyone forgets that we went into the Titans game with 3 healthy "starters" on the O-line. We came out of the game with one. Not a chance in hell were we making the bowl that year. Let it go................

No, I remember. :censored:

The thing is, even if the entire line was healthy, it sucked. Our inferior OL is what has held us back for more than a decade. It is better now, but it needs depth. Not a first round corner. Depth (and a good center).

No, I remember. :thumbsup:

The thing is, even if the entire line was healthy, it sucked. Our inferior OL is what has held us back for more than a decade. It is better now, but it needs depth. Not a first round corner. Depth (and a good center).

exactly....Hence my quotes around the word Starter :censored:

exactly....Hence my quotes around the word Starter :censored:

Missed that. :thumbsup::doh:

Yeah, we were a few good blockers away from the superbowl. We stil don't have a credible TE.

All I can do is hope, and be thankful that we do have the best fans of any team in any sport. Try to get to 1/5 for a game this season. :pirate: