Bryant Johnson

haus

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the contract I'd care about, it's the player. He's not going there to help build a winning franchise -- he's taking a paycheck while trying to pad his stats so he can hit the market again. You think he's going to be a "team guy" when they need him to be?

Why is he any less of a team guy than anyone else? He very well might be but I don't consider contract negotiations to be relevant in determining that. Bryant Johnson signed for what he thought was best for him, which is exactly like every other player in the NFL. All players look out for themselves, which is what they SHOULD do. For example, when Kelsay got that huge contract, the Bills eventually had to re-do Schobel's contract as well to correct the pay scale even though Schobel had 3 years left on his contract. But I'm sure you consider Schobel to be a great team guy, right? Teamwork is teamwork, money is money. Taking care of yourself and being a good teammate aren't mutually exclusive.

To put it another way, Bryant Johnson might go to the 49ers and be an absolutely great teammate for that 1 year. He might go to meetings early, give advice to rookies, do extra film work on his own time, etc etc. Who really knows? The only thing YOU know is that he signed a 1-year contract. You don't know his personality, his work ethic, his willingness to help teammates, etc etc. You don't know anything about him. You can't make character judgments based on contract negotiations.

What do we have at QB and WR? Not that I disagree with you about not signing Johnson....very overrated. San Francisco is the new Washington

We have Lee Evans at WR that is better than any WR they have. And I would take Trent and his potential over an overrated Alex Smith and his injuries any day.

nice job by Chris Brown on what went down between the Bills and Johnson

That seems what was happening all along and makes a lot of sense, for both parties. Johnson is taking a gamble, sure, but all of these guys think they are great and will produce. I doubt the Bills 3-4 year offer was anywhere close to what Porter and Stallworth made. I would have liked to have him, but not for 5 mil a year, and surely I thought that if we did sign him, we probably weren't going to draft a WR high.

Now, however, we still need three positions filled in the top two rounds: WR, TE and CB. It would help a lot if we signed Will James and Hall as some depth.

Basically, what it boils down to regarding the Bills choice at WR is that they wanted to keep Lee Evans. If the front office signed Johnson to a long term, over-inflated contract, you could have pretty much kissed LE goodbye. Personally, I would rather see the money invested in a known commodity in Evans, than a hope he pans out Bryant Johnson.

We have Lee Evans at WR that is better than any WR they have. And I would take Trent and his potential over an overrated Alex Smith and his injuries any day.

Don't you mean 'Shaun Hill'? I think he's the front-runner to be the starter next year. He's the Trent Edwards to Alex Smith's JP Losman in their fans' eyes.

Don't you mean 'Shaun Hill'? I think he's the front-runner to be the starter next year. He's the Trent Edwards to Alex Smith's JP Losman in their fans' eyes.

Yup. But actually Trent has his detractors among Bills fans as well. Among 49er fans, Shaun Hill is almost universally popular.

nice job by Chris Brown on what went down between the Bills and Johnson

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH JOHNSON: Since there's been a wide range of opinions on what Johnson would have brought to the Bills had he signed here, and whether the team really wanted him or whether he really wanted to play for Buffalo, I'll outline how things went down between him and the team. The Bills made him a multi-year offer which was very competitive and would have rewarded him further had he produced like a number two receiver.

The Johnson camp was looking for a contract similar to what Donte Stallworth (7-$35M-$10M guaranteed) or Jerry Porter (6-$30M-$10M guaranteed) received in terms of pay per season ($5M per year). The problem is Johnson has never had a 50-catch season, never had a 5 TD reception season and only once has had a season of over 600 receiving yards.

This is a joke. You really have to wonder if the Bills ever made Johnson any sort of offer. If they did, I would venture to guess that is was on the lines of what the Dolphins paid Ernest Wilford.

Taking a one year deal from the 49ers, trying to catch balls from Alex Smith, it doesn't get any worse than that. Does anyone remember the Monday night game late last season between the 49ers and Seahawks? Smith played as bad as any QB I have seen this side of vintage Joey Harrington in Buffalo circa 2006

I always have a problem with a player who doesn't want to take an incentive laden contract. I understand the chance for injuries but I think that can be worked out by placing injury caveats in the contract. Also, his contract demands were a little unreasonable. If Buffalo had signed him for the money he wanted I would have thought it a little high but wouldn't have found it outrageous. The fact that nobody wanted to give him that though speaks volumes.

In a thread that was lost in the crash I said that his agent was an idiot. Nothing has changed this opinion for me. The one year deal is very risky. If he doesn't have a great year catching passes from Alex Smith he's effed. If he has a good year he still is entering FA next year after a draft deep in WR's and I have to think the teams looking for starting WR's will be less. I can't see him having a Randy Moss type year. I'd say this is an 80% chance of being a losing proposition for him.

To put it another way, Bryant Johnson might go to the 49ers and be an absolutely great teammate for that 1 year. He might go to meetings early, give advice to rookies, do extra film work on his own time, etc etc. Who really knows? The only thing YOU know is that he signed a 1-year contract. You don't know his personality, his work ethic, his willingness to help teammates, etc etc. You don't know anything about him. You can't make character judgments based on contract negotiations.

I think to a certain extent you can. All of the things you mentioned are important but he has to produce on the field and even if he produces like a #1 receiver a team has to take into account that it's a contract year for him. The fact that he believes he's being undervalued to me says he has unreasonable demands and he is full of himself to the point of being stupid.

well we need somebody. Can't rely alone on a rookie #2 - at least need a guy to compete with him and back him up. Hackett? - I don't know why we haven't shown interest yet, our options are getting slim

Why? With the rinky dink passing game, why do they need more WR's? May as well sign half a dozen tight ends that can catch the 3 yard pass and block. Roscoe and Josh can catch 3 yard balls all day. If the Bills had a QB and a head coach with an aggressive mindset, I'd agree with you. If they pick a WR in the first round, it's only to sell tickets. Jauron has no intention of deploying an offense that takes any risks or could potentially score 30 points a game. Wouldn't be prudent.

I think to a certain extent you can. All of the things you mentioned are important but he has to produce on the field and even if he produces like a #1 receiver a team has to take into account that it's a contract year for him. The fact that he believes he's being undervalued to me says he has unreasonable demands and he is full of himself to the point of being stupid.

Disagree. He basically wants more money than what the employers will give him. The same is true of 90% of America. Like I said, he could be the greatest guy in the world (or the worst guy in the world). You don't know anything about him.

Why? With the rinky dink passing game, why do they need more WR's? May as well sign half a dozen tight ends that can catch the 3 yard pass and block. Roscoe and Josh can catch 3 yard balls all day. If the Bills had a QB and a head coach with an aggressive mindset, I'd agree with you. If they pick a WR in the first round, it's only to sell tickets. Jauron has no intention of deploying an offense that takes any risks or could potentially score 30 points a game. Wouldn't be prudent.

Not with our sad group of WR's a rookie QB, and RB's that can't pick up the blitz. It wouldn't be prudent. Roscoe Parrish should be on the field for special teams only unless there is an injury. The guy just doesn't run routes and is a QB killer

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH JOHNSON: Since there's been a wide range of opinions on what Johnson would have brought to the Bills had he signed here, and whether the team really wanted him or whether he really wanted to play for Buffalo, I'll outline how things went down between him and the team. The Bills made him a multi-year offer which was very competitive and would have rewarded him further had he produced like a number two receiver.

The Johnson camp was looking for a contract similar to what Donte Stallworth (7-$35M-$10M guaranteed) or Jerry Porter (6-$30M-$10M guaranteed) received in terms of pay per season ($5M per year). The problem is Johnson has never had a 50-catch season, never had a 5 TD reception season and only once has had a season of over 600 receiving yards.

I was weeks ahead of Chris on this one.

The Bills are being smart in regards to free agency this offseason. My hope is that Kelly and or Sweed's stock doesn't dramatically rise between now and the draft and the Bills will get the opportunity to select the WR they want. Johnson was never going to be the answer at the #2 WR position and it's a joke that he was looking for a big contract being that he's for all intents and purposes, a first round bust.

It's not the contract I'd care about, it's the player. He's not going there to help build a winning franchise -- he's taking a paycheck while trying to pad his stats so he can hit the market again. You think he's going to be a "team guy" when they need him to be?

;) Sums it up for me!

I only wanted him on a multi year basis with lots of incentives and an uncomfortable base salary.

San Francisco:

Where overpaid players go to lose. Clements, Banta-Cain, Darrell Jackson, Ashley Lelie, Michael Lewis, Justin Smith, and now Bryant Johnson.

I would'nt be so quick to make that call. Clements, Banta-Cain, & Lewis all made a big impact on the 49'ers last year, and really improved their defense. The problem is that their offense was so bad and the defense was on the field too long over the season.

Ashley Lelie & Darryl Jackson were huge disappointments.

The signing of Justin Smith and re-sining other defensive players will help a lot.

Issac Bruce & Bryant Johnson could stand to have good years having Mike Martz calling the plays.

The big question mark is QB. Can Alex Smith finally prove his #1 overall pick status? If not can Shaun Hill continue his surprise success?

If they have any consistent level of play, then the 49'ers could be on the way up.