Official LOST thread

ofiba

It's so funny that he is so used to wild Lost subplots that he immediately thinks of the craziest scenario possible.

LOL, honestly, a Jin flashback didn't even cross my mind. And it seemed normal to have a Jin fake death and a crazy scheme to try to explain it. Such is Lost.

That's the second time they've used cell phones to hint about the time period.

The first time was when Jack was using the Krazr in the first flash forward.

I've got to start paying more attention to the little things.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't suppose anyone reads Korean to know what Jin's gravestone said? The episode was pure brilliance as no way any one could have predicted a combination flash back/flash forward. Hurley being able to visit Sun is important in the time line of the future as he it means he wasn't in the institution and apparently after Kate's trial by the indication that the remaining Oceanic 6 could have visited Sun but choose not to. Michael on the boat wasn't surprising as seemed to be leading that way the more and more things played out. Though to me the mystery is who left the note that the captain can't be trusted. I think the writers want us to believe it was Michael but wouldn't be shocked if it was Frank. As think he truly is a friend and Michael is only working for Ben. I wouldn't be shocked if he's the person who dies next week is Michael as already mentioned as it allow the writers to wrap up his and Walt's story rather easily once he tells Sayid what happens. I think we also learned tonight that Juliet is truly on the Lostaways side though her method of doing things wasn't the best way but given the circumstances the only way she could.

Great episode last night. So many thoughts that need to be spewed out...thumbsup:

So...the first thing I wanted to see was what was the date of Jin's death. So, a screenshot at this link (http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2008/03/4x07-jins-tombstone.php#more) shows that his date of death was...September 22, 2004. As we all know...that is the date that Oceanic Flight 815 crashed. It is clear that the following happened:

We know that Sun is the last member of the Oceanic Six. Which means that Jin did not return from the island. The fact that the date of death on his headstone is the date of the crash means that the Six maintained to the outside world that Jim died in the crash. What most likely actually happened is that only a few people were able to make it off the island, and Sun was one of them so that she and her baby would survive. Jin was likely left behind, and is also probably still alive.

In regards to Michael...I posted last week that only 17 island days had transpired between the date that Michael and Walt left and the date that Naomi arrived. We didn't know how much real-world time had transpired during that time. I had thought that perhaps the freighter had picked both Michael and Walt up, assuming that not enough real-world time had transpired for them to get back to at least Hawaii, and then for Michael to get on the freighter for the trip back to the island. Clearly I was wrong. Enough real-world time must have transpired for Michael to get back, and then somehow get himself hired on as a crew member. The fact that he did makes it pretty clear that there was prior knowledge of the freighter...making it likely that he is Ben's man on the boat.

That's enough for now. :thumbsup:

We know that Sun is the last member of the Oceanic Six. Which means that Jin did not return from the island. The fact that the date of death on his headstone is the date of the crash means that the Six maintained to the outside world that Jim died in the crash. What most likely actually happened is that only a few people were able to make it off the island, and Sun was one of them so that she and her baby would survive. Jin was likely left behind, and is also probably still alive.

If Jin is still alive on the island, why would Hurley and Sun go "visit" him in the cemetary with the baby?

I don't see how they could have Jin still be alive. But I suppose it isn't impossible. I am a big fan of the show, but considering that this whole season was about flash-forwards and the content of Jin's flashback, I thought the big reveal that he was dead was highly and unnecessarily manipulative.

I don't see how they could have Jin still be alive. But I suppose it isn't impossible. I am a big fan of the show, but considering that this whole season was about flash-forwards and the content of Jin's flashback, I thought the big reveal that he was dead was highly and unnecessarily manipulative.

Do you feel used? :lol:

I've got to start paying more attention to the little things.

I kind of caught me by surprise as well... tho I furrowed my brow and did an audible 'Hmm!' with the seeming return to Angry Jin (i.e. "I'll rip your head off!") after he had made so much progress toward being a better man on the island. Had an inkling that something was askew. You make assumptions and look where they lead. I tells ya, those LOST peoples are crafty.

I don't suppose anyone reads Korean to know what Jin's gravestone said? The episode was pure brilliance as no way any one could have predicted a combination flash back/flash forward. Hurley being able to visit Sun is important in the time line of the future as he it means he wasn't in the institution and apparently after Kate's trial by the indication that the remaining Oceanic 6 could have visited Sun but choose not to. Michael on the boat wasn't surprising as seemed to be leading that way the more and more things played out. Though to me the mystery is who left the note that the captain can't be trusted. I think the writers want us to believe it was Michael but wouldn't be shocked if it was Frank. As think he truly is a friend and Michael is only working for Ben. I wouldn't be shocked if he's the person who dies next week is Michael as already mentioned as it allow the writers to wrap up his and Walt's story rather easily once he tells Sayid what happens. I think we also learned tonight that Juliet is truly on the Lostaways side though her method of doing things wasn't the best way but given the circumstances the only way she could.

Before or after Kate's trial, she couldn't have visited... if the ep took place in Korea (vouchsafe, this most likely), but we don't really know for sure where it was.

I'm liking the Frank character. He doesn't seem to be as gung-ho as the others in the Dharma?/Widmore group. He's there to do a job, is sympathetic with the Lostaways and has that connection with the 815 pilot and the plane (which he was supposed to have been flying), which they'll likely delve into deeper. As I heard, the 815 pilot will be making a reappearance via a flashback (didn't mark this as a spoiler b/c with the Frank flashback I think everyone including my dog knew it was coming).

Great episode last night. So many thoughts that need to be spewed out...thumbsup:

So...the first thing I wanted to see was what was the date of Jin's death. So, a screenshot at this link (http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2008/03/4x07-jins-tombstone.php#more) shows that his date of death was...September 22, 2004. As we all know...that is the date that Oceanic Flight 815 crashed. It is clear that the following happened:

In regards to Michael...I posted last week that only 17 island days had transpired between the date that Michael and Walt left and the date that Naomi arrived. We didn't know how much real-world time had transpired during that time. I had thought that perhaps the freighter had picked both Michael and Walt up, assuming that not enough real-world time had transpired for them to get back to at least Hawaii, and then for Michael to get on the freighter for the trip back to the island. Clearly I was wrong. Enough real-world time must have transpired for Michael to get back, and then somehow get himself hired on as a crew member. The fact that he did makes it pretty clear that there was prior knowledge of the freighter...making it likely that he is Ben's man on the boat.

That's enough for now. :lol:

I, too, don't really get the vibe that Jin is dead (or rather, since they're out of communication, that Jin wasn't dead at the time they left the island). Just as Jack perjured himself, it's a charade the O6 have to go through as part of an agreement. Likewise, she was calling out for him during the birth (and I get that childbirth is not the pinnacle of lucidity, but to me it was a moment that Sun slipped from the contract). Seems natural that Jin's 'gravesite' is also a place they can go to connect with him. It's also a tool for the director to instantly show that they're thinking of Jin --- imagine if the scene were in her home or somewhere else. It'd make no sense, visually. The scene was about her going to Jin to show the baby and at the time, the false grave is all they have.

Hurley (notice the suit BTW! Dark isn't his color scheme tho) and Sun didn't seem to be so grieved... just sad that Jin isn't there. Hurley is much more tuned to the personal relationships of the Lostaways; seems like he internalizes the guilt (and I think this is something the creators specifically hired JG for, as a physical representation of the character's psychological tendency) so much that it leads him to the mental hospital and telling Jack that they have to go back to the island.

I, too, don't really get the vibe that Jin is dead (or rather, since they're out of communication, that Jin wasn't dead at the time they left the island). Just as Jack perjured himself, it's a charade the O6 have to go through as part of an agreement. Likewise, she was calling out for him during the birth (and I get that childbirth is not the pinnacle of lucidity, but to me it was a moment that Sun slipped from the contract). Seems natural that Jin's 'gravesite' is also a place they can go to connect with him. It's also a tool for the director to instantly show that they're thinking of Jin --- imagine if the scene were in her home or somewhere else. It'd make no sense, visually. The scene was about her going to Jin to show the baby and at the time, the false grave is all they have.

Hurley (notice the suit BTW! Dark isn't his color scheme tho) and Sun didn't seem to be so grieved... just sad that Jin isn't there. Hurley is much more tuned to the personal relationships of the Lostaways; seems like he internalizes the guilt (and I think this is something the creators specifically hired JG for, as a physical representation of the character's psychological tendency) so much that it leads him to the mental hospital and telling Jack that they have to go back to the island.

When they were at Jin's grave, I totally felt like they were missing him rather than grieving for him. Hurley has shown emotion in the past, and the fact that he wasn't emotional at all at the grave signaled to me that Jim was likely alive and still on the island.

Decent episode with the exception of the Planes, Trains and Automobiles scene with Jin losing his cab and getting his cell phone run over. That felt "slapstick-ish" to me.

I see what you're saying, but I think they needed to show that to unscore how frantic he was about getting to the hospital. It added to the illusion that he was rushing there to see the birth of his own child.

That's enough for now. :lol:

Great post. Thanks for the link.

I'd told my wife during the episode that Jin’s story was a flashback and Sun’s was the future – lots of clues. And of course Jin is not dead. He’s still on the island. The Oceanic 6 has to keep everything hush hush and even go through the motions (e.g. visiting graves) to fool the world into thinking they don’t know anything about the island. They’re obviously protecting the island. The real question is why? Are they all now in line with Ben and against Widmore? Wouldn’t disclosing the island to the world allow them to get their friends back? Or is Ben blackmailing them with the threat of killing their friends?

Great post. Thanks for the link.

I'd told my wife during the episode that Jin’s story was a flashback and Sun’s was the future – lots of clues. And of course Jin is not dead. He’s still on the island. The Oceanic 6 has to keep everything hush hush and even go through the motions (e.g. visiting graves) to fool the world into thinking they don’t know anything about the island. They’re obviously protecting the island. The real question is why? Are they all now in line with Ben and against Widmore? Wouldn’t disclosing the island to the world allow them to get their friends back? Or is Ben blackmailing them with the threat of killing their friends?

Thanks.

That's the $25,000 question...what allowed the Six to get off the island? What did they have to do...what kind of deal did they make?

Let's look at the Six and figure out why they wanted/need to come back:

Hurley: was it his money that made him want to come back?

Jack: always wanted to get off the island

Kate: was hesitant to leave because she was still known, but I think like jack, she just wanted to get off the island

Sayid: doesn't seem the type to take a spot over someone else, so there has to be more here than we know (I think he could have been content to stay)

Sun: needed to leave to save her life and that of the baby

Aaron: his leaving signals to me that Claire is dead. She would never separate herself from him, unless the conditions on the island became so bad that she gave him to Kate so that he would have a normal life (this would be the gut-wrenching, tear-jerking response)

Thanks.

That's the $25,000 question...what allowed the Six to get off the island? What did they have to do...what kind of deal did they make?

Let's look at the Six and figure out why they wanted/need to come back:

Hurley: was it his money that made him want to come back?

Jack: always wanted to get off the island

Kate: was hesitant to leave because she was still known, but I think like jack, she just wanted to get off the island

Sayid: doesn't seem the type to take a spot over someone else, so there has to be more here than we know (I think he could have been content to stay)

Jin: needed to leave to save her life and that of the baby

Aaron: his leaving signals to me that Claire is dead. She would never separate herself from him, unless the conditions on the island became so bad that she gave him to Kate so that he would have a normal life (this would be the gut-wrenching, tear-jerking response)

You forgot Sun. Now that makes 7 survivors. Why would Aaron count as a survivor?