Trade rumors involving Detroit's pick at #2.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

If there is any truth to these rumors, then I find it very interesting that Arizona is in the mix. What this indicates to me is that the Cardinals want T Joe Thomas or they want to get in front of Cleveland for Adrian Peterson. Which one do you think it is?

The other team that was surprising is the Redskins. How in the world could they move up??!!! The only way possible to me is involving next year's 1st rder and/or player(s) being thrown in for the trade. I guess the real question is who could they possibly want? That Snyder is a maniac!

Atlanta being mentioned is making me wonder if they are indeed interested if they are looking to move out or eventually replace Vick. Trading for the second overall sure would seem that it's a QB that they want.

There is one common denominator in all three scenarios that could be the reason. I'm afraid to say but is Adrian Peterson going to turn the top of the pecking order inside out? If so, what would the ripple effect mean to us?

My take on this is that what ever may happen, either Peterson, Willis, Hall or Lynch will be there at the 12th position....

I think Russell, Quinn, Thomas, Johnson, Gaines and Landry are definitely in the top 10.

That leaves 5 more choices before the bills make their pick. We need just 2 other picks to come in between those 6 and our pick for us to get a shot at one of these guys. I hope it is Patrick Willis. The key to our draft is Detroit. If Detroit picks Brady Quinn at #2, then Peterson is gone. If Detroit trades down, say with Atlanta (and Atlanta will pick Peterson) then Patrick Willis will be gone to the Lions. The Lions run the same Tampa Cover 2 scheme that we run and would need a similar type of LB. I hope pray that Detroit stays at #2 and picks up Brady Quinn, giving us hopefully Patrick Willis.

My take on this is that what ever may happen, either Peterson, Willis, Hall or Lynch will be there at the 12th position....

I think Russell, Quinn, Thomas, Johnson, Gaines and Landry are definitely in the top 10.

That leaves 5 more choices before the bills make their pick. We need just 2 other picks to come in between those 6 and our pick for us to get a shot at one of these guys. I hope it is Patrick Willis. The key to our draft is Detroit. If Detroit picks Brady Quinn at #2, then Peterson is gone. If Detroit trades down, say with Atlanta (and Atlanta will pick Peterson) then Patrick Willis will be gone to the Lions. The Lions run the same Tampa Cover 2 scheme that we run and would need a similar type of LB. I hope pray that Detroit stays at #2 and picks up Brady Quinn, giving us hopefully Patrick Willis.

Alright, this thought is a little out there, but it makes some sense. Washington has very few picks in the draft and would like to accumulate more. Detroit has a hole at RB with the injury to Kevin Jones. Washington has Betts and Portis. What are the chances that they trade Portis and their first for Detroits 1st and I don't know 3rd or 4th. I could see Washington selecting Calvin Johnson. This would also fill Detroits RB need and still leave them with an early 1st round choice to fill another need, maybe Quinn. I think Quinn or Adams would still be there at 6. Just a thought.

If there is any truth to these rumors, then I find it very interesting that Arizona is in the mix. What this indicates to me is that the Cardinals want T Joe Thomas or they want to get in front of Cleveland for Adrian Peterson. Which one do you think it is?

The other team that was surprising is the Redskins. How in the world could they move up??!!! The only way possible to me is involving next year's 1st rder and/or player(s) being thrown in for the trade. I guess the real question is who could they possibly want? That Snyder is a maniac!

Atlanta being mentioned is making me wonder if they are indeed interested if they are looking to move out or eventually replace Vick. Trading for the second overall sure would seem that it's a QB that they want.

There is one common denominator in all three scenarios that could be the reason. I'm afraid to say but is Adrian Peterson going to turn the top of the pecking order inside out? If so, what would the ripple effect mean to us?

Edge Who? Arizona is probably not going to draft any running back or at least not a starter.

I like your thinking, ganesh. Great post.

Also, great thread, Tipster19.

:beer:

Alright, this thought is a little out there, but it makes some sense. Washington has very few picks in the draft and would like to accumulate more. Detroit has a hole at RB with the injury to Kevin Jones. Washington has Betts and Portis. What are the chances that they trade Portis and their first for Detroits 1st and I don't know 3rd or 4th. I could see Washington selecting Calvin Johnson. This would also fill Detroits RB need and still leave them with an early 1st round choice to fill another need, maybe Quinn. I think Quinn or Adams would still be there at 6. Just a thought.

Wasn't Jones traded to the Jets?

Thomas Jones, formerly of the Bears, was traded to the Jets.

It's hard keeping up with the Joneses :beer:

Didn't detroit get one of Denvers running backs? I thought they picked up someone so I don't think they are looking RB, Willis, a QB, or they stay at #2 and hopes CJ drops to them (and you know thats who they want, They love their WR's early in the draft)

my best quess has detroit trading down with tampa- for their 1st 2nd and 3rd - taking Adam Gains with the 4th pick and then trying to move back into the first round for Willis.

my best quess has detroit trading down with tampa- for their 1st 2nd and 3rd - taking Adam Gains with the 4th pick and then trying to move back into the first round for Willis.

That could happen, if Millen wasn't in charge, he's not smart enough for that, right now he's thinking CJ or the next best WR

Didn't detroit get one of Denvers running backs? I thought they picked up someone so I don't think they are looking RB, Willis, a QB, or they stay at #2 and hopes CJ drops to them (and you know thats who they want, They love their WR's early in the draft)

I believe it was Tatum Bell from Oklahoma State that went along with a Tackle, George Foster

Well...Seeing as though the Cards just backed up a dump-truck full of cash for E. James last Year I would seriously doubt they want to Pay #2 overall cash to another RB...They definitely Need an OT though... :wallbash:

The rumor I'm hearing is, Matt like the team the way it is. He's decided to just pass on the first round pick this year. My sources say Matt walks around saying:

"First round picks are for suckers."

The rumor I'm hearing is, Matt like the team the way it is. He's decided to just pass on the first round pick this year. My sources say Matt walks around saying:

"First round picks are for suckers."

Also, he mentioned that since he is going to cut the #1 pick in 2 years (Rogers cut, Mike williams on his way out), he would rather not draft one of them and show what a genius he was for saving the Fords 20M in signing bonus.

would that be....bad teams making panic trades to get "the guy" usually remain bad teams?

Two of these three teams are completely new staffs. I know if I were in the position to make decisions then I would accumale whatever players I felt would make a difference in my strategy. This way if I got the boot I know that I did it "My Way". :wallbash:

Also, he mentioned that since he is going to cut the #1 pick in 2 years (Rogers cut, Mike williams on his way out), he would rather not draft one of them and show what a genius he was for saving the Fords 20M in signing bonus.

I keep hearing on all the sports talk radio shows that there's no way Detroit can go with another WR in the 1st round. Not after Rodgers, Roy and Mike Williams. Too bad because it looks like the top player in the draft is going to fall in their lap (Calvin Johnson) and they'll pass on him. Johnson appears to be the one can't miss player in the draft. If Detroit's going to pass on him they'd be smart to trade down and pick up a few picks for their trouble. Of course this is the Lions we're talking about, so you know that's not going to happen.

I keep hearing on all the sports talk radio shows that there's no way Detroit can go with another WR in the 1st round. Not after Rodgers, Roy and Mike Williams. Too bad because it looks like the top player in the draft is going to fall in their lap (Calvin Johnson) and they'll pass on him.

If the Raiders take Russell and Detroit can't come to terms on a deal to trade the #2 quickly they could force leverage by taking Johnson. Calvin Johnson seem to be the annointed prize in this draft so the way I see it either Detroit drafts him or trades their pick or the player for appropriate picks.