Deciphering what Marv said on 2/16/07.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4622

Everything that Marv stated has either came to fruitation or looks like it will. In breaking down some of his statements I found Marv to being very upfront.

The remarks about one or two RFAs leads me to believe that Turner was one of the two. If there is to be another one I wonder if that would be a LB. It doesn't look like there will be though due to free agency nearing an end.

I found it interesting that the O-Line and the run defense weren't mentioned as draft options and so far that proved to be accurate with at least the O-Line. This appears to be fulfilled by free agency, which Marv also stated that off the top of his head we would probably be signing somewheres around 4 FAs. I think that we are up to 3 so far, right? Sounds like Marv expects the players that we got already to start performing on the run defense. Other than aquiring Walker, it doesn't appear that we'll be getting anymore D-Linemen.

At the right spot WR will be addressed and that sounds to me to be like a second day decision, also a 3rd string QB too. Assuming that we do use our 4th rder for WR, what kind of QB could we get with a 6th or 7th rd pick? Yikes!

So, I guess that this draft will be predominately geared towards LBs, a CB or two and a RB. It's not surprising, it's nothing that hasn't been hammered on this board for the last few months.

One last note. What a difference between Marv and Donahoe in discussing what are needs are and what we'll be looking to address. Day and night, huh?

One last note. What a difference between Marv and Donahoe in discussing what are needs are and what we'll be looking to address. Day and night, huh?

I wouldn't fault TD for that. Each GM has his own style of functioning. It is ok for TD to not go around mentioning what the team needs are, especially before the draft. You want to be as quiet as possible (and BTW Marvs opinion was a very high level, which is obvious to anyone and he has been very quiet too).

TD had many other issues, but that definitely is not one of them.

Sounds like Marv expects the players that we got already to start performing on the run defense. Other than aquiring Walker, it doesn't appear that we'll be getting anymore D-Linemen.

I am starting to think you are correct, and this would be a serious error in judgement IMO.

The run defense of this team is not going to improve from 28'th in the league, giving up

140 yards / game, to even anywhere near the middle of the pack adding one FA to the mix.

Signing Tim Anderson was also a good indication, and a bad move I think.

what i came out with it is this...............we are drafting marshawn lynch at#12.

we will then trade our 3rd and 2nd to move up into the lower 1st round and grab paul posluszny.i can live with that.go bills in"07

I am starting to think you are correct, and this would be a serious error in judgement IMO.

The run defense of this team is not going to improve from 28'th in the league, giving up

140 yards / game, to even anywhere near the middle of the pack adding one FA to the mix.

I'd have to agree. Walker is an excellent pass-rushing DT but isn't the type who excells in the run defense. It's a huge risk to depend on the existing roster to provide the difference. I don't think Walker's acquisition improves us, no matter who plays LB. We cannot control the defense LOS with those guys, and we lose sight of just how porous we defended the run last season.

As bad as Indy was against the run during the regular season with him, they still picked up Booger McFarland mid-season. Granted Bob Sanders helped there too, but a SS can't do much without the DL winning in the trenches.

I wouldn't fault TD for that. Each GM has his own style of functioning. It is ok for TD to not go around mentioning what the team needs are, especially before the draft. You want to be as quiet as possible (and BTW Marvs opinion was a very high level, which is obvious to anyone and he has been very quiet too).

TD had many other issues, but that definitely is not one of them.

I wouldn't necessarily fault TD for that, but not acknowledging the teams needs just made TD sound dishonest. You aren't giving ANYTHING away by stating the team's needs. Anyone observing the team can pretty much see what the team needs, IMO.

I'm in total agreement with you on us still needing a runstuffer in the middle of our defense. Here's what I think would be ideal if it could happen.

We swap our 1st rd pick with San Diego and maybe a future pick in compensation (the 2008 3rder that we got from Baltimore?) for Turner. Picking at #30 we take Tennessee's DT Justin Harrell. He's been talked about being selected as high as #23 by KC. I don't think this happens now because they just lost G Will Shields to retirement and they also re-signed DT James Reed, so an O-Lineman should take their first pick. The Saints are potential suitor for Harrell but if slides past these two teams then the Colts will be all over him at #32.

Now with our 2nd and our two 3rd picks we address the the LB and CB positions. I'll take a guess at this point what names to put in these rds but I do think that the LB(s) that Marv is going to draft are going to surprise many people. People are looking for him to aquire the likes of Willis and Poz and I don't think this will be the case. I'm expecting names like Justin Durant, Buster Davis, Brandon Siler, Quincy Black and Tim Shaw to be on our roster when the 2nd and 3rd rds end. These players are well within our picks and I think that we will get two of them and still use one these three picks for a CB/S type DB back.

To me this would a fantastic draft and our biggest needs would be addressed.

Or it might just be mis-direction. We all know the signing of Anderson is meaningless and he can still be dumped at any time (gotta love those NFL "contracts"), Perhaps Marv has his eye on Okoye (or Branch) and doesn't want someone moving up ahead of us to get him, should he last until 10 or 11. Worst case scenario, a guy familiar with our system is around for training camp.

I wouldn't read anything, for sure, into Anderson's signing and wouldn't take is a sign we are happy with our DTs.

By the way, is Amobi any relation to Christian Okoye?

I wouldn't necessarily fault TD for that, but not acknowledging the teams needs just made TD sound dishonest. You aren't giving ANYTHING away by stating the team's needs. Anyone observing the team can pretty much see what the team needs, IMO.

I think what made TD dishonest was picking a RoscoeParrish in the top of Rd 2 when you your OL was so bad. Parrish is no doubt an exciting player, but we had much bigger needs than a 4th WR on the team.

I think what made TD dishonest was picking a Robert Parrish in the top of Rd 2 when you your OL was so bad. Parrish is no doubt an exciting player, but we had much bigger needs than a 4th WR on the team.

Chief!!!

Or it might just be mis-direction. We all know the signing of Anderson is meaningless and he can still be dumped at any time (gotta love those NFL "contracts"), Perhaps Marv has his eye on Okoye (or Branch) and doesn't want someone moving up ahead of us to get him, should he last until 10 or 11. Worst case scenario, a guy familiar with our system is around for training camp.

I wouldn't read anything, for sure, into Anderson's signing and wouldn't take is a sign we are happy with our DTs.

Agreed...EVERY NFL Team will be Mock Drafting like crazy, and burning up the phone lines over the next week in order to get a better understanding of who will be available when they are on the clock...I think if you look at Marv and Modrak's statements today, most Teams would assume Patrick Willis is going to be The Bills Pick if He's still on the Board (assuming of coarse that Adrian Peterson is gone) at #12...This tells Me the Bills are definitely not going to pick Patrick Willis... :blink:

Seriously I have no idea...But no question this could all be one big, well planned, smoke-screen...

This team will be 7-9 again if we don't improve our porous run defence.

So, I guess that this draft will be predominately geared towards LBs, a CB or two and a RB. It's not surprising, it's nothing that hasn't been hammered on this board for the last few months.

Yeah, what a surprise! Levy will be drafting early round corners!!! :beer::beer: That was a tough one to figure out.

As for the honesty that you seem to applaud, I am thinking that telling the truth would amount to tipping ones hand for no reason. If this is what is really happening, I would think that doing so is a stupid and unneccessary move.

How about you, or are you simply bowled over by the honesty?