AJ Hawk vs. Wills

Guest Nick RaChaCha

Guest Nick RaChaCha

Last year Hawk had

130 tackles 3.5 sacks and 2 INTs

Not bad - Not great either

I would expext the same type of numbers from Willis in 07. The reason for this post is a rookie LB will not fix the Bills run defense this year. It might even be worse... If we draft Willis we will be drafting him for his upside. Not as a magic bullet that will fix everyting that is wrong with the Bills D. - Sorry for the splash of cold water.

yea and besides... since when are those numbers bad??? just wondering.

Actually, he only had around 120 tackles....but.....those numbers are still very good.

This link shows the list. You'll see he was 16th in tackles & only one ahead of him had more sacks.

I'm sure the Packers are very happy with him.

Guest Nick RaChaCha
yea and besides... since when are those numbers bad??? just wondering.

I never said bad... I said not great.

Guest Nick RaChaCha
You should of RaChaCha'd this thread into the RIGHT FORUM! ;)

Yeah I should have had another cup of coffee before I posted... Oh well... :D

No one player makes a team. Willis fills a big need. Is he everything we need? of course not! But its one hole we will plug. Keep in mind that there are NO STARTERS (that I know of) who are UFAs after this season. In a 2 year plan, we need to find a RB, CB, LB, FB and make sure our OL and DL are up to snuff. Take the best guys you can NOW. Willis, if he is on the board, is that guy.

Number of tackles pretty much mean absolutely nothing unless put in context: the kind of defense a team was playing, the players around him, behind him and in front of him, the details of the job description of the specific position in that defense, where and when the tackles were made, how they were made, the opponents against them, etc. A guy can have 65 tackles and be great and another guy can have 130 tackles and suck.

Number of tackles pretty much mean absolutely nothing unless put in context: the kind of defense a team was playing, the players around him, behind him and in front of him, the details of the job description of the specific position in that defense, where and when the tackles were made, how they were made, the opponents against them, etc. A guy can have 65 tackles and be great and another guy can have 130 tackles and suck.

Great post!

I would love to read your opinion on how you would apply this to the numbers that Whitner produced.

Spoken like someone with some wisedom. good points.

If we were just looking for that big statistical guy then we would have kept LFB. That guy was pretty much near the tops of the league in all LB stats if im not mistaken but that isn't enough!

Merriman was ridiculous his rookie year. Scratch AJ Hawk, insert Shawn Merriman in your formula

Different position and different DL in front of them.....Got to compare Apples to Apples, plus he was caught taking roids......A. J. Hawk had no such issues.

The one thing that even Urlacher mentioned is that it takes a season to learn the cover 2. I expect Willis (if we draft him) to have a good season (based on his natural instincts) and then some tremendous seasons. I think Whitner and Simpson will be much better players this year.

Of course, the biggest road block to all these guys is having a good front 4. I hope Kelsay, Schobel, Tripplett and McCargo can pull it off this year.