Kurt Vonnegut dead at 84

Cugalabanza

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a more heavy-handed one, but it's always lived with me:

'"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting," I said, "but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side."' (Mother Night)

RIP, Kurt. I knew this day was coming soon and that I was going to be pretty broken up about it.

KV was the genuine article - the 'real deal' - true to his beliefs from beginning to end. Also, a bit of a hero to me, and my favorite Cornellian...

The Cornell Daily Sun (link)

Some other interesting stuff I dug up...

In 1940, Vonnegut started his biochemistry studies at Cornell. According to the student directories, Kurt Vonnegut lived at 109 Williams during the 1940-41 school year, and at 6 South Avenue during the 1941-42 and 1942-43 years. Kurt Vonnegut was a member of Delta Upsilon Fraternity. Vonnegut wrote anti-war articles for our student newspaper, the Cornell Daily Sun. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Vonnegut volunteered for military service in 1943. "Good! They will teach you to be neat!" his father said.

To the young Vonnegut, Cornell itself was a "boozy dream," partly because of the alcohol he imbibed and also because he found himself enrolled in classes for which he had no talent (his father told him he had to major in biochemistry because it was a respectable field). He did, however, find success outside the classroom by working for the Cornell Daily Sun. Before the end of his freshman year, Vonnegut had taken over the "Innocents Abroad" column. He later moved on to write his own column, called "Well All Right," in which he produced a series of pacifistic articles. Reminiscing about his days at Cornell at an annual banquet for the Sun, Vonnegut recalled that he was happiest at the university when he was all alone late at night "walking up the hill after having helped put the Sun to bed."

Kurt urged everyone to "please notice when you are happy."

And I second that, since noticing when you are happy will bring more happiness.

RIP Kurt. B-)

A very interesting man.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/04/1...t.ap/index.html

I had to read Slaughterhouse-Five in college and actually really enjoyed it (unlike most of the other American fiction I read that semester). I read a couple more of his books after that, and they're very good - I especially liked Hocus Pocus, very unique.

He didn't die in a plane crash at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, but he didn't commit suicide either, so he got it half right this time. B-)

A very interesting man.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/04/1...t.ap/index.html

I had to read Slaughterhouse-Five in college and actually really enjoyed it (unlike most of the other American fiction I read that semester). I read a couple more of his books after that, and they're very good - I especially liked Hocus Pocus, very unique.

He didn't die in a plane crash at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, but he didn't commit suicide either, so he got it half right this time. B-)

What does this mean for S.Soland's avatar??

"Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone."

Kurt Vonnegut

my favorite writer since i was 15....

this sucks. ive read vonnegut books on almost every vacation in the past 10 years. he'll always be a huge part of my fondest memories.

i normally dont react when "celebrities" pass, but this guy was really something special and his life was a gift to the rest of us.

i will now be bummed out for the rest of the day.

B-)

I liked his quote in the CNN story:

"When Hemingway killed himself he put a period at the end of his life; old age is more like a semicolon," Vonnegut told The Associated Press in 2005.

Vonnegut was one of the precursors to Thomas Pynchon. Truly one of the most original and funny authors who supplied biting social and political commentary.

I liked his quote in the CNN story:

Vonnegut was one of the precursors to Thomas Pynchon. Truly one of the most original and funny authors who supplied biting social and political commentary.

Yes, although Pynchon's prose style is very different from Vonnegut's, imho. I think when all is said and done Vonnegut will go down with Faulkner as the two most influential and original American novelists of the 20th century.

There is a story which has become lore in my family over the years. Not one family dinner, or reunion goes by where someone doesn't mention it. It's fitting for this thread, so forgive me as I recount it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the early 1940s, my grandfather and his college roommate were bored as hell. War was looming and both were not exactly the “college” types. They were both smart guys and found themselves in a high brow university. Yet neither of them particularly warmed to the collegiate life. Out of this boredom they formed a plan to simultaneously amuse themselves and prank the college itself.

One afternoon the roommates walked into town and got their haircuts at one of the many local barbers. After the trim, they asked the barber if they could purchase his barber shop pole. This was back when all the barbers had those slow, spinning poles outside of their shops. The kind that look like some sort of twisted candy cane from Willy Wonka’s factory. The barber, naturally, was curious as to why the guys wanted to buy his pole. But the money they offered was simply too much for him to ignore.

“We are going to need a receipt,” my grandfather said. The barber pocketed the money and happily obliged the request. “Thanks, we’ll be back later for the pole.” With that, they were gone.

Around 2am the next night, the guys strolled back to the barber shop, determined to get their pole. It was cold that night so they wore dark coats, bundled up against the breeze off the lake. My grandfather held the ladder while his roommate climbed to the top and began to take apart the twisted, candy cane pole.

It didn’t take long for things to go wrong. This was 1942, back when this small town had only a handful of cops and they actually walked the beat. The local constable was not too pleased to see two college ruffians desecrating a local shop. In a matter of moments, my grandfather and his buddy were arrested and hauled into lockup. They went quietly and politely – without their pole.

The next morning, the two hooligans were hauled before the local judge. The officer who arrested them explained to the judge the charges without either of the two uttering a word of rebuttal. When the judge finally turned to the defendants and asked if they had anything to say, my grandfather’s buddy simply walked to up to the bench, withdrew a sheet of paper from his pocket and handed it to the judge.

As the judge sat there, reading the handwritten receipt for one barber pole, the two pals stood in silence. It didn’t take long for the judge to throw out the charges and publicly berate the officer.

Afterwards, two men walked out of the courtroom and back to their dorm. That night, they returned to town and proceeded to steal each and every barber shop pole in all of Ithaca. Almost every pole they took was in plain view of the beat cops. Not one, single officer put up any resistance out of fear of being made a fool.

When the morning came, the police station was flooded with calls from panicked barbers who were reporting missing poles. Meanwhile, Cornell students who walked the main path that cold, winter morning were treated to a rare sight. Along the path, over a dozen, spinning, candy cane poles were stuck into the frozen snow banks.

In the end, the police came to campus and seized the poles. They were returned to their shops no worse for the wear. It was a harmless prank. But it was masterful in its humor and ingenuity.

My grandfather loved telling that story. I probably heard it over a hundred times. One of my last memories of him was sitting at the dinner table with him in the late ‘90s. He had been sick for awhile by then, though he was always upbeat and positive. At that particular dinner I had mentioned that I needed a haircut. He just smiled and said, “Have I ever told you about the time Kurt and I stole all those barber shop poles?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first heard the news yesterday morning, I was struck with the sense of a great loss. Vonnegut inspired me not only with his words, but with his life. Just like my grandfather, he was a great man with uncompromising humor, wit and honor. I'll miss him greatly. But at least now he and my grandfather can figure out a new prank to pull in the great beyond. I'm not sure if they have barber shop poles up there or not, but if I am sure they will find a great substitute. :worthy:

I was greatly saddened to hear of his passing this morning. But I am also really uplifted by the responses I see here. It's good to see others appreciate him as I have.

I only drew a few editorial cartoons for the Cornell Daily Sun, but somehow they keep me listed as a Daily Sun alumnus. I always thought it was kinda cool to have that tiny little connection with KV.