Ricky Williams and the Bills

OK, I am on record as saying this will NEVER happen, and I stand by that (kind of) :thumbdown:

But, let us examine why this just might be a good things for both teams (I can't believe I'm typing this)

Would the Bills be a good team for Ricky?

I think the answer is Certainly...perhaps. Here's why (closed minded types who don't actually read and consider other points of view may just want to skip the following):

When RW returns to the NFL he is likely to be under a big spotlight, something Ricky doesn't want, and something that will be detrimental to his comeback, IMO. If he joins the Bills he will be under one of the dimmest spotlights available in the NFL. Can you imagine the sideshow if he goes to NYC or Miami or Dallas?

Ricky already knows he can run in the bad weather. Truth is, he THRIVES in it. A team like Buffalo (with a newly signed HUGE OL) may be the perfect place for hime to "just play" and play well. A crappy team who will just waste his talent would be a stupid move for him. A team who uses him as a "draw" would have it backfire, IMO.

Marv and Marv's Dick (The Senator's name for Juron) treat players like MEN. They aren't raving douchebags like Coughlin. Neither are they "live and let live guys". They have the right balance of discipline and respect for a guy like Rickey, IMO.

If the Bills get Turner or draft (or pick up) another good back, the whole load won't be instantly on Ricky. I suspect Ricky will force his way onto the field (that one is for obie wan) over time.

All in all, I think the Bills locker room and the on-field situation would be a perfect place for Ricky to re-enter the NFL and thrive. And remember, RW is not a clubbing, Miami strip-club type of guy. He pretty much keeps to himself. Buffalo is a GREAT place to keep to yourself and still have connections in the community.

Would the Ricky be good for the Bills?

Well, this is a little more complicated, IMO. But, if he passes Marv's smell test, and the locker room is not opposed, I think the answer is a resounding MAYBE. Here's why:

I'm assuming the Bills will have AT and either Turner, another experienced NFL Back or have drafted a back in Rd #1 or #2. I also assume RW is playing for the vet minimum (or close) with incentives (fairly aggressive).

RW becomes a real luxury back with ENORMOUS potential and little downside on the field. He is proven, he plays HARD every down. He has the capability of being the best back in the league.

Ricky has no real bad character issues, IMO. Other than the pot smoking (and c'mon...right?) he's really a model citizen.

He deserted his team at the last minute. That's REAL BAD, IMO (hence passing the Marv and Team smell test). But, if the Bills are set at RB w/o him, it doesn't hurt much should he fail a pee test and get yanked, or quit, again. After all, he was a LUXURY.

If we could get him to replace the likes of Shaud, I'd say..."Why the fu#k not?"

Of course there are two big barriers here:

What would it take for the Bills to get him from Miami? If it were a couple of mid-round (4,5,6) future draft picks, or conditional pics, that would be great. i just don't see that happening.

What will Ricky demand in terms of a contract, I think a smartly configured incentive contract might be interesting to RW, unless a stupid/desperate team plunks down a big bonus with big $$ attached.

The toughest part of all this is the deal with Miami, I think. I'm guessing Marv and RW could REALLY bond and Marv could convince him to come here and prove himself, IF Marv really felt it was a good thing.

Bottom Line?:

It might be a match made in heaven. But it will NEVER happen! (At least I don't think so)

OK, I am on record as saying this will NEVER happen, and I stand by that (kind of) :thumbdown:

But, let us examine why this just might be a good things for both teams (I can't believe I'm typing this)

I think the answer is Certainly...perhaps. Here's why (closed minded types who don't actually read and consider other points of view may just want to skip the following):

When RW returns to the NFL he is likely to be under a big spotlight, something Ricky doesn't want, and something that will be detrimental to his comeback, IMO. If he joins the Bills he will be under one of the dimmest spotlights available in the NFL. Can you imagine the sideshow if he goes to NYC or Miami or Dallas?

Ricky already knows he can run in the bad weather. Truth is, he THRIVES in it. A team like Buffalo (with a newly signed HUGE OL) may be the perfect place for hime to "just play" and play well. A crappy team who will just waste his talent would be a stupid move for him. A team who uses him as a "draw" would have it backfire, IMO.

Marv and Marv's Dick (The Senator's name for Juron) treat players like MEN. They aren't raving douchebags like Coughlin. Neither are they "live and let live guys". They have the right balance of discipline and respect for a guy like Rickey, IMO.

If the Bills get Turner or draft (or pick up) another good back, the whole load won't be instantly on Ricky. I suspect Ricky will force his way onto the field (that one is for obie wan) over time.

All in all, I think the Bills locker room and the on-field situation would be a perfect place for Ricky to re-enter the NFL and thrive. And remember, RW is not a clubbing, Miami strip-club type of guy. He pretty much keeps to himself. Buffalo is a GREAT place to keep to yourself and still have connections in the community.

Well, this is a little more complicated, IMO. But, if he passes Marv's smell test, and the locker room is not opposed, I think the answer is a resounding MAYBE. Here's why:

I'm assuming the Bills will have AT and either Turner, another experienced NFL Back or have drafted a back in Rd #1 or #2. I also assume RW is playing for the vet minimum (or close) with incentives (fairly aggressive).

RW becomes a real luxury back with ENORMOUS potential and little downside on the field. He is proven, he plays HARD every down. He has the capability of being the best back in the league.

Ricky has no real bad character issues, IMO. Other than the pot smoking (and c'mon...right?) he's really a model citizen.

He deserted his team at the last minute. That's REAL BAD, IMO (hence passing the Marv and Team smell test). But, if the Bills are set at RB w/o him, it doesn't hurt much should he fail a pee test and get yanked, or quit, again. After all, he was a LUXURY.

If we could get him to replace the likes of Shaud, I'd say..."Why the fu#k not?"

What would it take for the Bills to get him from Miami? If it were a couple of mid-round (4,5,6) future draft picks, or conditional pics, that would be great. i just don't see that happening.

What will Ricky demand in terms of a contract, I think a smartly configured incentive contract might be interesting to RW, unless a stupid/desperate team plunks down a big bonus with big $$ attached.

The toughest part of all this is the deal with Miami, I think. I'm guessing Marv and RW could REALLY bond and Marv could convince him to come here and prove himself, IF Marv really felt it was a good thing.

Bottom Line?:

It might be a match made in heaven. But it will NEVER happen! (At least I don't think so)

Too many med`s are bad for you man

Well, first off, I dont think this would be a money issue. Ricky is under contract, and if traded, it would be up to the recieving team to work out a contract extension. I dont think anyone in their right mind would extend his contract, so unless he is making ridiculous money, I wouldnt think working out a new deal would be an issue.

Secondly, in the CFL he played in 11 games and ran for 500 yards and 2 touchdowns and had 2 semi-major injuries. Not the kind of stats I want of my starting RB.

But the real problem....this quote:

"I really like Toronto, I really like this organization ... you can live here, you know? "

Well, first off, I dont think this would be a money issue. Ricky is under contract, and if traded, it would be up to the recieving team to work out a contract extension. I dont think anyone in their right mind would extend his contract, so unless he is making ridiculous money, I wouldnt think working out a new deal would be an issue.

Secondly, in the CFL he played in 11 games and ran for 500 yards and 2 touchdowns and had 2 semi-major injuries. Not the kind of stats I want of my starting RB.

But the real problem....this quote:

"I really like Toronto, I really like this organization ... you can live here, you know? "

:thumbdown::wallbash:

Yes, ALL of our players, in the future, MUST HATE TORONTO!

dumb da dumb dumb

dumb ba da dumb dumb

Well Dean its nice to actually read a post on here written in English not Typonese, especially one that has some thought to it.

Outside of the barriers that will block this trade, I think it could very well be a nice fit for all involved. However, between narrow-minded fans and the retard rodeo of our local sports media we'd run him out of town just like all the other decent players we've had.

Well Dean its nice to actually read a post on here written in English not Typonese, especially one that has some thought to it.

Outside of the barriers that will block this trade, I think it could very well be a nice fit for all involved. However, between narrow-minded fans and the retard rodeo of our local sports media we'd run him out of town just like all the other decent players we've had.

Of course, It will NEVER happen. (most likely)

Although I don't frown upon Ricky, I just don't think that this would be the attention that our young team needs to prosper. We would be better off finding our own young prospect that we can groom for the future. I wish Ricky well and by no means view him in any kind of character or social issue, I just think that he's odd and wonder if he's truly committed to football and a team concept.

He's not. And that is what marv means by "football character"

Clearly you did not heed the warning:

closed minded types who don't actually read and consider other points of view may just want to skip the following

Or, perhaps you did skip the bulk of the post and decided to chime in with your certain, yet uninformed. opinion anyway.

Whatever.

I agree that he would be good pick-up, if it is cheap, draft wise. Rick Williams used to get high, may again. But he says that he hasn't snoked in 3 years and has always been honest about this. He had a 4.4 average in 2005 for the Dolphins. And although he did not catch a bunch of balls there, he did with New Orleans in 2000 and 2001: 44/409 and 60/511. I think the need for a short yardage receiver is underestimated in Buffalo. A tight end or running back who can catch would be a great boost to this offense.

You're right; why so convinced it won't happen? If Marv could get a good running back for a cheap price, he will. They will still need a starting running back, but having a player with Williams' ability and demeanor, would be a positive for this team. (JP and Ricky would work well together, are simliar in some ways.)

Clearly you did not heed the warning:

closed minded types who don't actually read and consider other points of view may just want to skip the following

Or, perhaps you did skip the bulk of the post and decided to chime in with your certain, yet uninformed. opinion anyway.

Whatever.

Uninformed? UNINFORMED?!!!!!! I just hope we win a damn game.

Look, Ricky Williams IS NOT, i repeat IS NOT the kind of player marv is looking for. End of story.

I know, you said it would never happen. Great. You're my hero. Thanks for interrupting my discussion with TIPSTER. I wasnt even talking to you.

And for the record, No, I did not read your post. Good Day.

C'mon guys, no need to be like this, we're all Bills' fans. One person offered an opinion with their perception and another one rebuked it. It doesn't make either one of you right or wrong.

The Dean, you have to admit that there is more than enough reason to cause concern with Ricky's desire and eligibility. He's risky just to be and to stay on the field. I wholeheartedly agree with your take on his ability but I think it goes way beyond just that factor. I actually think that he's probably a really nice guy and that there would be no need for concern about him fitting in as a teammate. He's definitely more than just a compliment to our backfield, he could be the man. It's just that we could get someone that is much younger and with no baggage for not much more than it would cost for Ricky. The question then would be why do it.

If I were to guess what kind of compensation the Dolphins would be looking for then I would guess at no more than a 4th rder and no less than a 5th rder. Of course this guess is based on just a single draft pick. If the Fins were willing to part with a 6th or 7th rder this year and the same for next year then I would venture to say that this would be very tempting and it would have to come under serious consideration.

C'mon guys, no need to be like this, we're all Bills' fans. One person offered an opinion with their perception and another one rebuked it. It doesn't make either one of you right or wrong.

The Dean, you have to admit that there is more than enough reason to cause concern with Ricky's desire and eligibility. He's risky just to be and to stay on the field. I wholeheartedly agree with your take on his ability but I think it goes way beyond just that factor. I actually think that he's probably a really nice guy and that there would be no need for concern about him fitting in as a teammate. He's definitely more than just a compliment to our backfield, he could be the man. It's just that we could get someone that is much younger and with no baggage for not much more than it would cost for Ricky. The question then would be why do it.

If I were to guess what kind of compensation the Dolphins would be looking for then I would guess at no more than a 4th rder and no less than a 5th rder. Of course this guess is based on just a single draft pick. If the Fins were willing to part with a 6th or 7th rder this year and the same for next year then I would venture to say that this would be very tempting and it would have to come under serious consideration.

I WHOLE heartedly agree there is reason for concern I THINK that is clear from my original post. That's why I said (more than once) he'd have to pass Marv's and the TEAM's "smell test". But, he has played in the CFL w/o incident. He hasn't walked out on them.

So, where is the evidence that "He's Not", now, committed to football? I just am getting very sick of people who KNOW and who have no room for doubt in their opinions.

Sorry.

I'm saying, IF Marv and the team were satisfied that he is committed and wouldn't be a distraction (plus ALL of the other "ifs" in my original post) he might be an asset.

But, all of those "ifs", and the likely reaction of closed minded morons, are far more likely to be a deterrent to the deal than Rickey's "character". That's why:

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

Buffalo would enjoy Ricky talking about the game, of that I am sure.

I will always pull for any odd cat (as was Willis McGahee for that matter) but the man is old and this team is young. It may be as simple as that. Not old in the Troy Vincent veteran leader way, but in the world weary warrior way.

He will help someone this year. Not the Bills.

I like the idea. I think RW has a lot left in the tank.

But I cannot see Miami wanting to play against him twice a year. If RW worked out it would help the Bills and hurt the Fish. I think the Fins would trade him to an NFC (southern) team...

Who knows how RW is coping without the buds? And the future?

The Bills have surprised with big moves in the past so I wouldn't rule it out. If it does happen, I would be amped about the possibilities.

do people pay any attention to how Marv is building this team?

if they did they would realize Ricky isnt a fit...PERIOD!

Do you see Turner as a fit? I don't. For what, a first and a third? And what did the Bills get for Willis? Trade up and get a young stud. If we have a good enough offensive line then it should be worth it. I will be honest, I haven't seen enough of Turner to know what he can do.

He'd be a good pick up if this were John Madden video game football. :thumbdown: Which incidently is how I think the Redskins organization makes scouting decisions.

True dat! :wallbash:

Since that clearly is the motto, class it up a bit :

Nil Disperandum Auspice Marv

Now, THAT'S sweet.

I have a hunch The Senator will dig that.

Do you see Turner as a fit? I don't. For what, a first and a third? And what did the Bills get for Willis? Trade up and get a young stud. If we have a good enough offensive line then it should be worth it. I will be honest, I haven't seen enough of Turner to know what he can do.

I am not in favor of trading for Turner either, it would most likely require multipe picks and he would also want a big contract...all that for a guy with one NFL start and 7 total catches. Im not saying he isnt good or wont succeed as a starter but I would rather the Bills take their chances with the draft. I think Peterson will be there and if not Lynch will be. A lot has been said about Lynch and his possible character issues but I dont think he was ever suspended or charged with any crime...I personally hope Peterson isnt there and the Bills go with Lynch because I think he is perfect for this offense

Now, THAT'S sweet.

I thefted it from the Black Cats of Sunderland, a second division English soccer team. It should find its way into a signature methinks.

I thefted it from the Black Cats of Sunderland, a second division English soccer team. It should find its way into a signature methinks.

methinks? :thumbdown:

methinks? :thumbdown:

I hate using the word "I". Too bold, too out front. Jostles the Tao.

In a related matter if anyone has a message for Ricky I will try to deliver it. If he is indeed in Grass Valley or Nevada City teaching yoga I'll hunt him down -- my drifting should take me through there next week.

Bottom Line?:

You must be joking.

I like Ricky Williams. But why the hell would the Dolphins trade him to the Bills, for the small return we would (or anyone would) be willing to pay, IF they thought he was pretty good at all?

The Dolphins have their 1st round franchise money tied up in Ronnie Brown behind him they have more wholes in their roster than our war plan in Iraq. Their new head coach WILL entertain trade options for draft picks and clear out the "old" regime. Ricky will go cheap for a back of his ability.

Please Marv GITERDONE

The Dolphins have their 1st round franchise money tied up in Ronnie Brown behind him they have more wholes in their roster than our war plan in Iraq. Their new head coach WILL entertain trade options for draft picks and clear out the "old" regime. Ricky will go cheap for a back of his ability.

Please Marv GITERDONE

He costs nothing. IF they think he is the old Ricky Williams, why trade him for a #5 pick, which is all they can get for him. They have no one besides Brown and would have to spend the pick to get a back-up RB anyway. Brown hasn't proven himself and has been hurt a bit. The only way they get rid of him for virtually nothing is if they think he has little left in the tank, and then the chances of him being good on the Bills is not that good. And they're especially not going to trade him in the division, to the Bills, who need a RB, if they think he is any good.

Please Marv GITERDONE

He might go cheap...just not to the Bills (or anywhere in the AFC East), IMO.

He might go cheap...just not to the Bills (or anywhere in the AFC East), IMO.

Maybe somebody would give it a shot.

He's everything the Bills don't want in terms of "Character". He's about the last guy in the league that the Bills would consider. He's just too wierd. It'll make a great book someday. From Ditka giving up his entire draft to acquire the pick to draft him only to have the guy quit on him in terms of effort to his meditating somewhere in the Himalayas or wherever to his witch doctor dope smoking habits. Somewhere in between he actually played football.

Maybe he can have a chat with Willis about what it's like to play football in Toronto over a hand rolled joint.

Maybe somebody would give it a shot.

He's everything the Bills don't want in terms of "Character". He's about the last guy in the league that the Bills would consider. He's just too wierd. It'll make a great book someday. From Ditka giving up his entire draft to acquire the pick to draft him only to have the guy quit on him in terms of effort to his meditating somewhere in the Himalayas or wherever to his witch doctor dope smoking habits. Somewhere in between he actually played football.

Maybe he can have a chat with Willis about what it's like to play football in Toronto over a hand rolled joint.

Again, I don't think this will ever happen. But I really don't think it's a "character" issue at all. Actually, he and Marv just might get along fine, IMO.

If you think about what the Bills define as character, I'd say he fits it, ALMOST, to a T. Deserting his team at the last minute and leaving them in the lurch, is the one BIG hump he'd have to overcome, IMO.