Turner's price has went down.

Capacitors. My company makes them and some sell for a "dime a dozen" How do we live on that? Easy. Volume. About $500,000.000 dollars worth last year.

Would that be "flux Capacitors"? I am working on a time machine and could use a well built flux capacitor.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Truner trade should be dismissed out of hand but what is so stupid about Pittman, Bush, Irons, Walker and Hunt as alternatives to that? Good backs can definitely be found after the first round.

Frank Gore, third round

Willie Parker, undrafted

Rudi Johnson, fourth round

Brian Westbrook, third round

Personally, I like Pittman.

Though I don't think backs are a dime a dozen, I do think the league, largely based on economics, is moving away from superstars with huge contracts at that position and instead going for the committe approach. Big time backs have had to struggle to get huge contracts lately. James, Alexander and others. The future of the game appears to me to be moving away from the "franchise back" idea. We will still see that approach but in the aggregate, I think the best cap strategies favor a different way to win.

Because the majority of the 2nd and the vast majority of the 3rd round backs fail or are mediocre at best. IMO, there is a far less chance of Turner failing than any of the #2 or #3 picks available this year.

Because the majority of the 2nd and the vast majority of the 3rd round backs fail or are mediocre at best. IMO, there is a far less chance of Turner failing than any of the #2 or #3 picks available this year.

I'd add 1st round to that, too.

My Turner Trade- Bills get Turner and the Chargers 2007 5th - the Bills give up Anthony Thomas 2007 3rd, 2008 2nd and 3rd

If the Bills can get Turner for less great- in fact I'm fine waiting to 2008 to really address the RB situation- but I don't want any trades that involve this years 1st or 2nd or next years 1st.

Why would we trade a 2nd rounder for a backup RB? What am I missing here?

A lot. Turner happens to be a backup in SD, because they have LT. I think he would be a starter for 3/4 of the teams in the NFL. I won't re-post all the stats (look around at the other Turner threads) here. Look at his:

College Production

Pro Production in a limited role.

Watch highlights or any tape on him at the pro level and/or college level. He is a BEAST.

He's already made the translation to the pros, and he's fine. He's experienced with low mileage on his body. He has 3 years learning behind LT..not too shabby.

Calling him a "backup RB" is just an easy way of not doing your homework. He wouldn't be getting all this attention if he were just another "backup RB".

A lot. Turner happens to be a backup in SD, because they have LT. I think he would be a starter for 3/4 of the teams in the NFL. I won't re-post all the stats (look around at the other Turner threads) here. Look at his:

College Production

Watch highlights or any tape on him at the pro level and/or college level. He is a BEAST.

He's already made the translation to the pros, and he's fine. He's experienced with low mileage on his body. He has 3 years learning behind LT..not too shabby.

Calling him a "backup RB" is just an easy way of not doing your homework. He wouldn't be getting all this attention if he were just another "backup RB".

Willis would be the starter for 4/5 of the teams in the NFL and was Buffalo's starter. He had one year left on his contract (just like Turner) and he was worth 2 threes and change. What is the difference?

College Production

Yep, exactly right. I saw every Turner game all year, and he is tremendous and I would gladly give up our second for him. Dismissing him because he is a backup to LT (which Larry Johnson would be, and every other RB in football) makes no sense. I'm not saying he will be a HOFer, but I think he is a top 10 NFL back. I would give up #12 for him if there wasn't the contract extension issue which increases his total cost to us.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't watched much pro football in the past 2 years, I didn't even know the guy was in SD until all the talk around here, I do remember him from college though. I just looked up his information and seen his YPC were pretty good, but he doesn't look all that battle tested. Ever since the "Rob Johnson" trade, I get a little nervous about the thought of giving up so much for someone with "potential" to be a solid starter.

College Production

Thanks for the reply, I haven't watched much pro football in the past 2 years, I didn't even know the guy was in SD until all the talk around here, I do remember him from college though. I just looked up his information and seen his YPC were pretty good, but he doesn't look all that battle tested. Ever since the "Rob Johnson" trade, I get a little nervous about the thought of giving up so much for someone with "potential" to be a solid starter.

He has no potential. In fact, he sucks. Don't believe me? Continue reading the board.

Nice signature.

:thumbsup:

Willis would be the starter for 4/5 of the teams in the NFL and was buffalo's. He had one year left on his contract (just like Turner) and he was worth 2 threes and change. What is the difference?

The difference is that having seen them both play a lot over the last couple years, I think that Turner is going to be better than Willis, aside from lower contract demands and better attitude. I could be wrong, and am not the best NFL talent scout. But I have a feeling Marv and DJ probably would agree with this. I would have traded MaGoofee for Turner straight up with no second thoughts, and don't mind spending slightly more than we got for Willis.

Willis would be the starter for 4/5 of the teams in the NFL and was Buffalo's starter. He had one year left on his contract (just like Turner) and he was worth 2 threes and change. What is the difference?

Well there are MANY differences. Here are a few:

The Bills weren't trying to hang on to Willis the way SD is to turner

There wasn't nearly the interest in Willis from other teams that there is for Turner

Willis has suffered a MAJOR injury to his knee. Turner has had no MAJOR injuries, AFAIK

Willis has much more wear and tear on his body. Aside from the injury, he has carried the ball 868 times, compare that to Turner's 157

Willis is tentative when running into the line. Turner runs like a bull let loose with a hot poker stuck up his ass

...and those are just a few. There are many more

He isn't going to cost us just one pick though. Just for an example, if he costs a second and a third rounder, you would have to compare the chance of Turner not working out versus both a second and a third round pick not working out. Keep in mind that we ended the season with a first rounder, a fourth rounder, a fifth rounder and a seventh rounder starting with a sixth rounder getting a number of starts as well.

Another factor is the salary Turner will command versus a rookie back taken, at best, at 12 in the first. I can certainly understand the interest in Turner. I just think we have plenty of options that make him far short of a necessity. I can see the tide building for another draft day collective anal seizure when Marv does something other than pick up Turner like we experienced last year when he took Whitner and McCargo.

Yep, exactly right. I saw every Turner game all year, and he is tremendous and I would gladly give up our second for him. Dismissing him because he is a backup to LT (which Larry Johnson would be, and every other RB in football) makes no sense. I'm not saying he will be a HOFer, but I think he is a top 10 NFL back. I would give up #12 for him if there wasn't the contract extension issue which increases his total cost to us.

A second round pick would be fine for a guy like Turner but we really just don't know how good he is let alone declaring him to be a top ten back. I give him a lot of credit but at the same time, I think San Diego's line would make a lot of backs look good. I would rather we hang on to our picks and only make a trade while we are on the clock so that we don't miss any opportunities that arise during the draft. If that means we lose Turner, I can live with that because the other options are pretty good ones. Good things come to those who wait. I think the price on Turner is going to keep dropping.

A second round pick would be fine for a guy like Turner but we really just don't know how good he is let alone declaring him to be a top ten back. I give him a lot of credit but at the same time, I think San Diego's line would make a lot of backs look good. I would rather we hang on to our picks and only make a trade while we are on the clock so that we don't miss any opportunities that arise during the draft. If that means we lose Turner, I can live with that because the other options are pretty good ones. Good things come to those who wait. I think the price on Turner is going to keep dropping.

He needs to be able to do more than just run to justify more than a 3rd round pick.

SD sure didn;t have any confidnce in him being able to block, blitz pickup and run routes. Maybe he is intellectually challenged

You can get a one dimensional RB in this year's draft in the 3rd round.

Maybe there was a reason Turner went in round 5 even though he put up huge rushing stats in college.

He needs to be able to do more than just run to justify more than a 3rd round pick.

SD sure didn;t have any confidnce in him being able to block, blitz pickup and run routes. Maybe he is intellectually challenged

You can get a one dimensional RB in this year's draft in the 3rd round.

Maybe there was a reason Turner went in round 5 even though he put up huge rushing stats in college.

RUBBISH! You have no proof of that. He was not used in the passing game. That MAY or MAY NOT be reflective of his ability.

Are you certain he can't block and pick up the blitz? PLEASE, point to a link, a quote, some film...ANYTHING to support another of your unsupported over generalizations.

Try to remember he played for Marty Shotz, one of the most conservative and unimaginative coaches in the NFL. AND he played behind LT.

I don't see Marv trading away 2-3 picks for a guy he's going to have to then sign to a big payday.

It runs somewhat counter to many of his recent moves.

The closer we get to Draft day the lower Turner's cost becomes.

I've also gotta think that AJ will give Marv a chance to top any offer the Thumbtacks come up with - if they ever do decide to make a move for Turner.

I just don't get the sense of urgency to be the first to throw an offer of multiple picks at SD for him.

"Hello, AJ? It's Marv."

"Yep, Hi Marv."

"Say we were discussing this Turner kid over oatmeal and poached eggs this morning, and we want to make you an offer for him."

"Yep. Great. What is it?"

"We'll give you our first this year and next and our fifth this year too."

"Marv, you don't have a fifth pick this year."

"Damnit, AJ - you're a sharp one. Heh-heh. Well, let's make it our 3rd and 4th this year and next instead."

"You mean in addition to your 1st this year and next."

"Of course. Deal?"

"Deal."