Sabres will face either Leafs, Montreal or Islanders

millbank

Its down to the final weekend with the Leafs and Montreal playing on Saturday night in the big smoke. If Montreal wins then the Sabres will play Montreal. Because of tie breaker system where Montreal have more wins than Toronto , the Leafs cannot end tied with Montreal, thus they must win in regular time on Saturday night to have a shot at eight. If Leafs beat Montreal , they must hope that the Islanders do not win both of their final games against the Flyers and Devils. If Leafs beat Montreal and the Islanders win both their games then the Sabres will play the Islanders. Islanders have tie breaker over Leafs in head to head wins.

So which one of these three would Sabres fans prefer to play. Leafs, Ted Nolans Islanders , or the mystique of the Montreal Canadians?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its down to the final weekend with the Leafs and Montreal playing on Saturday night in the big smoke. If Montreal wins then the Sabres will play Montreal. Because of tie breaker system where Montreal have more wins than Toronto , the Leafs cannot end tied with Montreal, thus they must win in regular time on Saturday night to have a shot at eight. If Leafs beat Montreal , they must hope that the Islanders do not win both of their final games against the Flyers and Devils. If Leafs beat Montreal and the Islanders win both their games then the Sabres will play the Islanders.

So which one of these three would Sabres fans prefer to play. Leafs, Ted Nolans Islanders , or the mystique of the Montreal Canadians?

Bring em on, mili, any one of them...buncha bums! :wallbash:

Seriously, Mr. Bank, I would prefer NOT to start out against the Habs, as they play us very tough. Playing the Leafs sure will cut down on travel and inconvenience for our boys. And, of course, the fans and media probably would love to have the Nolan attraction/distraction in play.

I notice you neglected to mention the Sabres big win and how well Max and Vanek played. Don't worry though, we covered all that earlier. :wallbash:

I was talking about this on the phone with my Dad earlier, while we were both watching the game.

I personally don't care. I think we could skate circles around the Leafs defense, Montreal doesn't have the firepower to hang with us, and the Isles just plain suck.

My Dad said that he wanted anyone cept the Leafs, as the Leafs would make us skate for it, since they are decent offensively.

My only concern playing the Leafs is that the Buffalo season-ticket holders who have playoff tix know that they can make a mint off of those saps from Toronto, and would probably end up selling their tickets to the games in Buffalo for $300-$400 each. You can't blame someone for essentially paying for the rest of their playoffs by selling the Leafs games, but it sure would be strange to have a 55/45 crowd in favor of Toronto in a playoff game at HSBC.

Of the three, I'm not sure it matters...However, the Habs play Buffalo pretty tight, and if they get Huet back, you never know...

I'm not all that concerned about who we play. I see the Sabres turning it up yet another notch in the playoffs. Any team will be hard pressed to beat us in a series. The only team in the East that scares me even a little it Ottowa. Here's to them and Pittsburgh beating the sh-- out of each other in the first round.... :wallbash:

Probably the Isles, as there would be an outside chance of my buddy with tickets taking me to a game. Then again, probably not.

They should be fine with any of them. I'm just glad it won't be the Rangers because they have looked pretty good lately.

I want the Isles. They will be the easiest for us to beat. The Habs scare me, frankly. They always give us a hard time. I wouldnt mind the Leafs, although their declaration that the Sabres are soft is interesting. They said they wanted to play us so they can "get after us" for 7 games as it was only way to beat us. I would like to see them try....

Probably the Isles, as there would be an outside chance of my buddy with tickets taking me to a game. Then again, probably not.

They should be fine with any of them. I'm just glad it won't be the Rangers because they have looked pretty good lately.

See, if you lived here in Atlanta, you would get free playoff tickets with every box of fried chicken. :wallbash:

Not Montreal. Their power play scares me, and frankly I'd like a nice, relaxing, stress-free first round, please.

That's all I'm saying, too DC. The Sabres' will get plenty of work in the later rounds (provided they get to the later rounds).

Doesn't matter who the Sabres play in round one. I think Montrael may be the toughest series though. I was just happy to see that Time Warner made Center Ice available to everyone yesterday. Don't know if it was a mistake, but it was pretty cool. I watched the Sabres game, caught the end of the Montrael game, watched the end of the Leafs game, and watched the Detroit OT and shootout. Pretty cool, hopefully the extend it all weekend.

The Sabres figure to beat any one of the three teams. The issue for Sabres if they could pick, which team would take the least physical toll on them. The Islanders are the best of the three remaining teams and every game a grind. Montreal has a excellent power play and if officials call the opening series tight it could be a battle of power play units , meaning there is potential for a longer than wanted series with Canadians. In the end I think the Sabres easiest opponent is the Leafs as the Leafs just do not have it in goal. Putting the hype of playing Leafs aside, the Leafs would be the Sabre's easiest opponent. imo

In the end I think the Sabres easiest opponent is the Leafs as the Leafs just do not have it in goal. Putting the hype of playing Leafs aside, the Leafs would be the Sabre's easiest opponent. imo

Agreed- I can't imagine Raycroft outplaying Miller four times in seven games.

The Sabres figure to beat any one of the three teams. The issue for Sabres if they could pick, which team would take the least physical toll on them. The Islanders are the best of the three remaining teams and every game a grind. Montreal has a excellent power play and if officials call the opening series tight it could be a battle of power play units , meaning there is potential for a longer than wanted series with Canadians. In the end I think the Sabres easiest opponent is the Leafs as the Leafs just do not have it in goal. Putting the hype of playing Leafs aside, the Leafs would be the Sabre's easiest opponent. imo

The thing about playing the Leafs is that they seem to think that the way to beat the Sabres is to outhit them. While this probably won't work, especially in a 7 game series, It would take a physical toll that I'd rather not pay in the first round. If your point is that it would probably would be a shorter series against the Leafs - that I won't argue. But having said that I doubt a series with any of them would go past a game 6.