Sabres will face either Leafs, Montreal or Islanders

millbank

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils success nearly killed the NHL? Oh stop crying like a little girl. You're starting to whine more than VA, and that should tell you something.

It's true they have done their best to make a sport that was the most exciting to see to something that was unwatchable most nights. They did not invent the clutch and grab cheat strategy but they perfected it and had the ultimate success using it. That was the NHL's curse. All of the gm's and coaches from talent deficient teams adopted this style to compensate and thus keep their jobs. I hate the Devils for this reason alone. Not that they won. But how they one and how it cost the NHL a decade of quality hockey. By far the NHL is and was my favorite league but most game were unwatchable even for me! The Sabres represent the direction all teams should be going. I admire the Sabre owner for saying he would much rather lose a game 6-5 than 3-1. He gets it. I am not a Sabre fan btw. Im completely objective.

It's true they have done their best to make a sport that was the most exciting to see to something that was unwatchable most nights. They did not invent the clutch and grab cheat strategy but they perfected it and had the ultimate success using it. That was the NHL's curse. All of the gm's and coaches from talent deficient teams adopted this style to compensate and thus keep their jobs. I hate the Devils for this reason alone. Not that they won. But how they one and how it cost the NHL a decade of quality hockey. By far the NHL is and was my favorite league but most game were unwatchable even for me! The Sabres represent the direction all teams should be going. I admire the Sabre owner for saying he would much rather lose a game 6-5 than 3-1. He gets it. I am not a Sabre fan btw. Im completely objective.

The worst part of the entire thing was that the Devils HAD the talent to play a more up tempo game but instead locked it down. Detroit was also somewhat guilty with their "Left Wing Lock" system that basically meant if they got the lead there was no chance any team was coming back.

There have been 4 teams in NHL history that have had 10 or more 2 goal deficit comebacks in a season. 2 have happened over the last 2 seasons. None happened while the Devils and Wings were ruling the roost.

The worst part of the entire thing was that the Devils HAD the talent to play a more up tempo game but instead locked it down. Detroit was also somewhat guilty with their "Left Wing Lock" system that basically meant if they got the lead there was no chance any team was coming back.

There have been 4 teams in NHL history that have had 10 or more 2 goal deficit comebacks in a season. 2 have happened over the last 2 seasons. None happened while the Devils and Wings were ruling the roost.

NHL critics seem focused on fighting as the big issue in the league. To me its not. Its stuff like this. Im so afraid of gm's and coaches getting their way and we start to head down that slippery slope into clutch and grab left wing lock hell.