Ralph to Marv, Jauron and Overdorf

JoeF

I know this is overused--but in cover 2 its not just drafting Youboty last year that will help, its also the development of Whitner and Simpson. They have the deep part of the field on most passing plays and the corners have the edges to mid range routes and the LB's have the mid to short middles--the corners can play aggressive in most scenarios...here is a diagram

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html

Bill--you hit it--the Bills prepared for the loss of Clements last year with the drafting of not just Youboty but also Ko and Donte--their improvement will help greatly in making up for Nate's loss. The safeties have deep--the LB's must be able to cover, the corners must be physical and not allow receivers to flood deep areas unimpeded..

The other thing I like is upgrading the interior pass with Walker--we did not get push from the middle last year--our edge guys did fine--hopefully Walker will change that.

But I, like Ralph, wonder who is going to stop the run...3 of the first 4 picks may end up being front seven folks...it will be interesting......If Branch or Okoye fall -- and Willis is there--it will be a tough choice....

BTW--the highest rated player in Pro Football Weekly's draft guide is a tie between Peterson and Johnson..Nolan Nawrocki thinks Peterson is a stud....and says he is worth the durability risk..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is overused--but in cover 2 its not just drafting Youboty last year that will help, its also the development of Whitner and Simpson. They have the deep part of the field on most passing plays and the corners have the edges to mid range routes and the LB's have the mid to short middles--the corners can play aggressive in most scenarios...here is a diagram

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html

Bill--you hit it--the Bills prepared for the loss of Clements last year with the drafting of not just Youboty but also Ko and Donte--their improvement will help greatly in making up for Nate's loss.

I, like Ralph, wonder who is going to stop the run...3 of the first 4 picks may end up being front seven folks...it will be interesting....

We are SET at Safety, IMO...and I think Whitner can actually play pseudo-CB. The question is, do we have a capable 3rd CB in the line-up should one go down or when needed in certain sets? NO! We certainly need another CB (we lost our best, BTW).

That takes nothing away from our need re: the front 7. But, we've addressed the DTs...no? If not, why make the Spikes trade?

LB and CB are the defensive needs...of course, IMO.

Sometimes I think that Bills fans are programmed to think it is OK to waste our most precious resources on the secondary. From where I sit, we addressed the secondary last year in a manner that was all but obscene, and we passed on extra picks and a guy named Mangold to do so.

I agree the middle is the most impt place to be strong. But are we not stacked at DT? BTW, I could ask the same question about McCargo.

Wanna' bet that Jauron's answer to Ralph was "we will stop them with safeties " ? With improvements in scheme ? He is a secondary coach at heart -- a very coachable position, one that the coaches' management and control makes a real impact. Levy is probably still at heart more a coach than GM. Big people being knocked off the line of scrimmage is not a coaching problem... it's not usually a problem that you think your way out of.

The logjam at DT is a terrible box to be in if they really can't play. Passing on Branch or Okoye would be awful in that case.

We are SET at Safety, IMO...and I think Whitner can actually play pseudo-CB. The question is, do we have a capable 3rd CB in the line-up should one go down or when needed in certain sets? NO! We certainly need another CB (we lost our best, BTW).

That takes nothing away from our need re: the front 7. But, we've addressed the DTs...no? If not, why make the Spikes trade?

LB and CB are the defensive needs...of course, IMO.

Not sure we have the run stuffer we need yet at nose tackle Dean...just my trepidation about going into the season with Kyle Williams (who I love for effort); McCargo (is the foot thing chronic); Anderson (is gaining 20 lbs going to make him a better player or just an overweight underachiever)...

When vegetable's begin to drool, you must remove them from their respective baskets and dispose of them...at least that's what my late uncle always said.

PROTECT THE RED!

Yes, of course PROTECT THE RED, but you must also call any vegetable by name.

I, too, am completely giddy about the O-line and think with the beef we just added up front, our running game will be just fine with A-Train - and we just may already have our other RB...

Action Jackson

Running with purpose

So, on day one my choice would be Okoye, if he's available at #12 - maybe even move up to get him - then...

wait for it....

Posluszny!!!! :thumbsup:

(Marv & Co. will probably have to wheel & deal to get back in the 1st round for Poz)

Then maybe Brian Leonard? (The one from Rutgers, not Milwaukee.)

I'm thinkin' 19 and 0 baby, oh yeah. :w00t:

Wanna' bet that Jauron's answer to Ralph was "we will stop them with safeties " ? With improvements in scheme ? He is a secondary coach at heart -- a very coachable position, one that the coaches' management and control makes a real impact. Levy is probably still at heart more a coach than GM. Big people being knocked off the line of scrimmage is not a coaching problem... it's not usually a problem that you think your way out of.

The logjam at DT is a terrible box to be in if they really can't play. Passing on Branch or Okoye would be awful in that case.

Rubbish! Technique my man technique! OK...maybe Ted Washington kinda screws up that point. :thumbsup:

But, you've actually made my point, Big Patch of Boring Highway. Marv, and his trusty Dick, LOVE DBs.

All I am saying is:

We NEED a CB (let's not even argue about that)

These guys LOVE DBs

Don't be TERRIBLY surprised if we pick a CB in Rd #1 or #2.

...that's all I'm saying.

AND...let's not downplay the impact that losing Antoine Winfield has had on our run D.

And somewhere in the city of tiny lites, Frank smiled........ :thumbsup:

Notice The Senator added to it with his "call any vegetable by name" comment. :w00t:

Frank is VERY happy tonight.

Not sure we have the run stuffer we need yet at nose tackle Dean...just my trepidation about going into the season with Kyle Williams (who I love for effort); McCargo (is the foot thing chronic); Anderson (is gaining 20 lbs going to make him a better player or just an overweight underachiever)...

But the system isn't designed to have a "run stuffer" at DT. The DT's are supposed to get into the backfield to disrupt plays (obviously stop them if they can), and the LB's are supposed to attack and clean up.

It may not be what many of us want to see, but it is what it is.

McGee, Youboty, and Thomas are not enough to hold the secondary together IMO. We don't need a CB with the first pick, but we do need one first day.

But the system isn't designed to have a "run stuffer" at DT. The DT's are supposed to get into the backfield to disrupt plays (obviously stop them if they can), and the LB's are supposed to attack and clean up.

Meh, I won't be surprised.

This technique stuff is great and I love the rotation idea but 3rd and short is what it is. Being on the field for 17 or 18 minutes in the second half, bending but not breaking was what it was most of last year. The position has to be upgraded -- McCargo and Walker and fingers crossed might not be enough (for Ralph).

Meh, I won't be surprised.

This technique stuff is great and I love the rotation idea but 3rd and short is what it is. Being on the field for 17 or 18 minutes in the second half, bending but not breaking was what it was most of last year. The position has to be upgraded -- McCargo and Walker and fingers crossed might not be enough (for Ralph).

Don't forget Triplett and the newly beefed-up workout warrior, Anderson.

what kind of d-bag would write this. " I didn't wait to hear the reply..." why the hell not?!

Because as he walked so indiscreetly by the pow-wow, I'm betting Ralph, Marv, Dick, and Jim all glanced up at him at the same time with that "Can I help you?" look on their faces. My guess is he proceeded to slink away into the shadows, which he later referred to as "not waiting around to hear the reply."

Because as he walked so indiscreetly by the pow-wow, I'm betting Ralph, Marv, Dick, and Jim all glanced up at him at the same time with that "Can I help you?" look on their faces. My guess is he proceeded to slink away into the shadows, which he later referred to as "not waiting around to hear the reply."

I'm guessing this all happened in a dream anyway. It doesn't seem odd to anyone else that the heads of our team were meeting in middle of the owners meeting, with press and agents from every other team in the league walking around, and talking about the state of the team?

What, no Anthony Hargrove utility love ? Didn't desperation drive him inside for a few snaps ? Me and Ralph have seen these guys -- that's why there's fevered huddling in lobbys for Peter King to "report" on. I almost wish this was a cruel April Fools joke.

Thats why I say..... If Peterson or Willis are off the board. ...you get Okoye.

Then we would have Okoye, Walker , McCargo and Tripplett.

No way. If Willis is gone we take Adam Carriker. San Fran is taking one of them and we are taking the other. :unsure:

what kind of d-bag would write this. " I didn't wait to hear the reply..." why the hell not?!

Because, that would lead a member of the national media to write an informed comment about the Bills which would break a long long streak of uninformed inaccurate reports.

Okoye would be my choice if Willis is gone. I think he can make a huge impact his first year and would immediately upgrade a group of DT's that didn't get it done last season. He has tremendous upside, character, and a great work ethic. He'd quickly show McCargo what a DT can do in their rookie season.

You're right. If Willis is gone before we pick then we need to beef up the DTs. Carriker is everything that Akoye is plus more. We need someone who can tie up the middle and take on two blockers.

We will stop the run. You have to have faith that some of our younger players on this team can step up.

What?

Please post this again at season's end. If the Bills are even in the top half of the league in rushing defense it will be a shocking and monumental achievement.

You have to rely on faith when all the objective evidence is just the opposite.

We NEED a CB (let's not even argue about that)

These guys LOVE DBs

AND...let's not downplay the impact that losing Antoine Winfield has had on our run D.

It seems as though the fact that in the cover-2, the CB's have to be excellent tacklers who stop the run is discounted here all the freakin' time.

Runs to the outside are as much about CBs as anyone else in the cover-2 defense.