I think the trade for Turner could actually happen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They want to see if somehow mysteriously AP falls into their laps.....

If not...could see them do a swap of 1st round picks with the chargers for Turner....then possibly use one of their 3rds to move up some spots to take Polz

No way

The value of a RB is not a 1st rounder.

Swapping with the chargers (pick 30) is more costly than trading them our 2nd round pick PLUS we will have to pay turner a ton more $$ than drafting, say, Lynch

No way.

The game of "chicken

will be won by levy. or like they say inthe movie Wargames, "the best way to win is to not play the game"

trading picks is a dubious practice at best and for a fiscally conscious team (like the Bills) it is even more unlikely. I still predict IF a trade takes place, it will be a third at the highest.

could see them do a swap of 1st round picks with the chargers for Turner....

this sounds very similar to the rumored Wash/Chi Lance Briggs trade.

I would be hesitant to make this trade for a proven playmaker like Briggs....so I can't see giving up that much for the unproven Turner when we can just draft a back with the 2nd round pick.

I am now beginning to develop a strong hunch that the Bills will trade for Turner if Peterson isn't there at 12. Given Lynch's reported back problems (and assuming for a second that this report is true), I suspect that the Bills will be shy about spending a high pick on him. Swapping firsts with SD would make sense -- it'd still give the Bills two picks in the top 50, four in the the top 95, and a bona fide starting running back. There's been a lot of talk about how the number of good prospects in this draft goes deep into the second round (at least), and I'm sure the Bills are aware of that.

Having said all of this, if Peterson is there at 12 (not likely, in my opinion) and the Bills haven't traded for Turner yet, I don't see how they can pass on him. They need help on offense, and with all other positions set except a pass receiving TE (a bit player in the Fairchild/Martz offense anyway) and possibly a guard, I can't see them going in another direction. The Bills could then spend the remainder of their first day picks on two linebackers, a guard/center, and a corner. Of course, Peterson -- who is going to be damn good -- will probably be gone by then.

I really like Lynch but for some reason I don't get the Marv feel about him. Just look at our roster. Does a person like Lynch fit in with this blu-collared well spoken group? I have been fighting it for a while because I really like Lynch but I just don't think he will fit in so to speak.

My gut is starting to tell me Michael Turner. With Marv keeping all his first day picks this year. He will find a way to get it done.

this sounds very similar to the rumored Wash/Chi Lance Briggs trade.

I would be hesitant to make this trade for a proven playmaker like Briggs....so I can't see giving up that much for the unproven Turner when we can just draft a back with the 2nd round pick.

Everyone says this like every RB taken out of the 1st round automatically becomes a success. Theres a big difference, that pick in the 2nd has no NFL experience, and is a complete unknown at the NFL level. Turner atleast has experience, and is more of a known commodity. He would be starting if he wasn't behind the best RB in the league, and in his limited game time behind that RB, he has put up decent numbers and shown he can play in the NFL

Swaping first for him would be just like drafting a RB in the first, and trading down, something alot of people would like Buffalo to do anyways. Because of Turners limited experience, they should be able to sign him to a reasonable contract (a nice one for him, but not unreasonable) and atleast Buffalo would know they have a RB with NFL experience

I am now beginning to develop a strong hunch that the Bills will trade for Turner if Peterson isn't there at 12. Given Lynch's reported back problems (and assuming for a second that this report is true), I suspect that the Bills will be shy about spending a high pick on him. Swapping firsts with SD would make sense -- it'd still give the Bills two picks in the top 50, four in the the top 95, and a bona fide starting running back. There's been a lot of talk about how the number of good prospects in this draft goes deep into the second round (at least), and I'm sure the Bills are aware of that.

Having said all of this, if Peterson is there at 12 (not likely, in my opinion) and the Bills haven't traded for Turner yet, I don't see how they can pass on him. They need help on offense, and with all other positions set except a pass receiving TE (a bit player in the Fairchild/Martz offense anyway) and possibly a guard, I can't see them going in another direction. The Bills could then spend the remainder of their first day picks on two linebackers, a guard/center, and a corner. Of course, Peterson -- who is going to be damn good -- will probably be gone by then.

Why do you prefer AP over MT and a late firster? Do you feel there is that much of a gap between AP and MT?

If AP were still there at 12, we could likely get a king's ransom in draft picks, move down to say 18 and still swap that for Turner and their first. That I can see.

AP won't be there at 12 though.

In the end Marv will give up Baltimores 3rd rounder this year and a conditional pick next year. To me that is fair.

This is reasonable - however, how high would YOU offer as the conditional? If as high as #1 - forget it - unless the condition is we win the super bowl.

I'd make it a 3 and maybe 3/4 with as high as 2 on something ridiculous like 1600 + yards.

But We have other posters going with John's offer of a 1st swap (McBride and apuszczalowski)

I'd be willing to bet you all this will not happen. I never bet unless I am really really certain. So, I gues you know how I feel, huh? :D

Everyone says this like every RB taken out of the 1st round automatically becomes a success. Theres a big difference, that pick in the 2nd has no NFL experience, and is a complete unknown at the NFL level. Turner atleast has experience, and is more of a known commodity. He would be starting if he wasn't behind the best RB in the league, and in his limited game time behind that RB, he has put up decent numbers and shown he can play in the NFL

Swaping first for him would be just like drafting a RB in the first, and trading down, something alot of people would like Buffalo to do anyways. Because of Turners limited experience, they should be able to sign him to a reasonable contract (a nice one for him, but not unreasonable) and atleast Buffalo would know they have a RB with NFL experience

He also usually would get into the game after LT had exhausted the other teams defense for three quarters.

Turner is not that proven, and the Bills would have to extend his contract within the year or risk losing him as a free agent.

My point wasn't that Turner is not a good option....just that it would not be wise to give up the number 12 pick for him.

I'm sure as draft day approaches, the price SD is asking for Turner will drop to a more reasonable level.

No way, RB is the easiest position to Draft for. Marv will draft a RB in the 2nd round.

If it is, then how come the Bills haven't drafted either a legitimate pro bowl RB (Henry was a late alternate) or a starter that stuck for more than three seasons since they drafted Thomas in the second round of the '88 draft?

Here's the list of running backs drafted by the Bills since Thurman: Lionel Gates, Willis McGahee, Jonathan Smith, Jarrett Ferguson, Travis Henry, Sammy Morris, Shawn Bryson, Jonathan Linton, Antowain Smith, Leon Neal, Darick Holmes, Nate Turner, Amir Rasul, Carwell, Gardner, Eddie Fuller, and Bo Wright.

They want to see if somehow mysteriously AP falls into their laps.....

If not...could see them do a swap of 1st round picks with the chargers for Turner....then possibly use one of their 3rds to move up some spots to take Polz

Unless Turner is as good as the guy hes backing up hes not worth a first round swap. Wouldnt that make him worth around the 20th pick overall accordgint o draft value charts(for whatever those are worth).

I like turner....a lot. There just arent many players in the league worth that kind of compensation, not in a game where injuries are as big a factor as they are.

Why do you prefer AP over MT and a late firster? Do you feel there is that much of a gap between AP and MT?

If AP were still there at 12, we could likely get a king's ransom in draft picks, move down to say 18 and still swap that for Turner and their first. That I can see.

AP won't be there at 12 though.

I do think Peterson is that good, and I think that draft picks can be overrated by fans. The chances of any draft pick succeeding even in they're drafted in the first three rounds is no better than 50/50. Barring injury, Peterson is a sure thing. Turner may be too, and if the Bills think so I'll trust them to make the decision.

He also usually would get into the game after LT had exhausted the other teams defense for three quarters.

Turner is not that proven, and the Bills would have to extend his contract within the year or risk losing him as a free agent.

My point wasn't that Turner is not a good option....just that it would not be wise to give up the number 12 pick for him.

I'm sure as draft day approaches, the price SD is asking for Turner will drop to a more reasonable level.

i wouldn't give up the #12 pick for him either, I would swap it for Turner and SD's 1st. So basically your trading down with SD with Turner as your compensation for making the move. Or its like drafting Turner at 12 and being awarded another late 1st for doing it, basically walking out of the draft with a RB, and the same amount of Draft picks as you went in with.

Of course all this hinges on the Bills being able to re-sign him before he becomes a FA, I wouldn't give up more then a 5th for a rental

Personnally I would feel more comfortable going into the season with a RB that has NFL experience over taking the chance on a 2nd tier Draft choice with no pro experience. The Bills are a young team, and it will take time for the new line to gel, so having some experience at RB would help them out alot, and help JP out even more.

I am now beginning to develop a strong hunch that the Bills will trade for Turner if Peterson isn't there at 12.

I'm no GM, but if you wait until Peterson is gone, you can bet your ass that Turner's price gets elevated.

You negotiate while you have options, not when you've run out of them because that's not negotiating. It's begging.

i wouldn't give up the #12 pick for him either, I would swap it for Turner and SD's 1st. So basically your trading down with SD with Turner as your compensation for making the move. Or its like drafting Turner at 12 and being awarded another late 1st for doing it, basically walking out of the draft with a RB, and the same amount of Draft picks as you went in with.

Of course all this hinges on the Bills being able to re-sign him before he becomes a FA, I wouldn't give up more then a 5th for a rental

Personnally I would feel more comfortable going into the season with a RB that has NFL experience over taking the chance on a 2nd tier Draft choice with no pro experience. The Bills are a young team, and it will take time for the new line to gel, so having some experience at RB would help them out alot, and help JP out even more.

I understand it would be a swap of first rounders, but it is still not worth it---SD's first rounder may as well be a second rounder.

The point I made earlier is that Wash is being second guessed for wanting to make a similar deal for Briggs, and I believe Briggs is a much more proven player than Turner.

SD is just posturing---there is no way a team will have to trade that much value to get him when SD will get nothing for him if they don't move him by the end of this year.

I would rate the three RB's:

1. Peterson

2. Turner

3. Lynch

I don't understand why some people want Lynch to be the pick at #12 but wouldn't give up a first round pick for Turner.

I know...I know...you may not think Turner is better than Lynch, but he is more proven in the NFL than Lynch.

And I am not suggesting trading the #12 pick straight up to get Turner, but I would not lose sleep if the Bills and Chargers exchanged 1st round picks.

ALTHOUGH.....I would say, by all means,...if they can get Turner for a cheaper price....go for it.

Unless Turner is as good as the guy hes backing up hes not worth a first round swap. Wouldnt that make him worth around the 20th pick overall accordgint o draft value charts(for whatever those are worth).

I like turner....a lot. There just arent many players in the league worth that kind of compensation, not in a game where injuries are as big a factor as they are.

There have been reports I have read that said if Turner were to be in this draft, as is, he would be the second or third running back taken behind Peterson. A mid first rounder, maybe or maybe not ahead of Lynch. If that's true, he's worth a #1 pick. I don't see any way around that concept. The Bills may not think he is, or the Bills may not want a RB with their first rounder, and may choose to not make that trade, but that doesn't mean Michael Turner is not worth a #1 pick. He also may not be traded for a #1 pick because the team has to give up the pick and pay him in an extension 20-25 million or so. But that, again, doesn't mean a player is not worth a #1 pick.