When considering a player do we need to consider...

That's one thing we never discuss, and maybe one that plays into Marv's surprises. Would you draft a great player who will only pout about playing in Buffalo, or would you rather have a guy who knows his job is to play football and not worry about where to party? It has to be a factor.

PTR

Kelly would have never been drafted in the first place is that was a consideration.

You draft the guys you like and hope they are mature enough to find a place for themselves in the city.

Kelly would have never been drafted in the first place is that was a consideration.

You draft the guys you like and hope they are mature enough to find a place for themselves in the city.

That's a given. You have to feel confident that they are mature enough to deal.

PTR

That's one thing we never discuss, and maybe one that plays into Marv's surprises. Would you draft a great player who will only pout about playing in Buffalo, or would you rather have a guy who knows his job is to play football and not worry about where to party? It has to be a factor.

PTR

ABSOLUTELY. That's why I was extraordinarily dumbfounded by the number of people that blasted the Bills' management for not drafting Matt Leinart last year. The fact is I would have bet a year's salary that he would have held out a la John Elway with the then-Baltimore Colts.

Again, this is part of the "character" issue Marv talks about. If you really want to play football for the game itself and not just the money and fame, and are thankful for being blessed to make it this far, you don't care who drafts you.

Its something that the Bills' management has to consider. If you know that a player is going to be miserable with the team, you're probably better off passing on him. But at the same time, we as fans have so little knowledge of the actual personalities of these players that its a waste of time for us to speculate on a particular player's willingness to play for the team.

PTR

I have to throw the BS flag on this one. I grew up in Buffalo and have NEVER had a lack of...

1. Great places to party and have a great time while doing so.

2. Girls to bang around with while doing # 1

So my point is that this should not even be an issue to anyone coming here to Buffalo.

Why are we making such a big deal about the words of one dumbass?????

On a related note, I always honestly thought Tom Donohoe, sensing that it would take a lot to keep Willis McGahee in Buffalo (and still under the impression that he would be a great one) drafted Roscoe Parrish and Kevin Everett, former Miami guys, as a means of making Willis McaGahee happy, and warming him up to the Bills. Other than Jim Kelly (too old school) had the Bills ever drafted a player from the Hurricanes before? Will they ever again?

Buffalo is not the first choice for a player to live, but it can be and has been the first choice for a player to PLAY. If the team and organization are top notch, they will come, no problem. I know it might seem like a homer thing to say but I KNOW it's true. The Bills fans are among the top 5 in the NFL, and THE FANS are maybe the biggest source of CAREER enjoyment for a player.

Buffalo

Cleveland

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Kansas City

Buffalo is not the first choice for a player to live, but it can be and has been the first choice for a player to PLAY. If the team and organization are top notch, they will come, no problem. I know it might seem like a homer thing to say but I KNOW it's true. The Bills fans are among the top 5 in the NFL, and THE FANS are maybe the biggest source of CAREER enjoyment for a player.

Buffalo

Cleveland

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

Kansas City

Plus I hear the practice facilities are among the best in the league. Can anyone confirm that for me, because maybe I am just remembering things from 10 years ago as if they were recent.

I have posted this before but I remember a few drafts ago, I think it was the year that Bledsoe got traded to the Bills, Mike Tirico said that the word around the league was that a lot of players hated the idea of getting drafted or traded to Buffalo, but once they were there never wanted to leave and loved it. Surely there have been and always will be exceptions but I believe that's true. It wasn't him just surmising it, he was saying he heard this from a lot of players.

I have to throw the BS flag on this one. I grew up in Buffalo and have NEVER had a lack of...

1. Great places to party and have a great time while doing so.

2. Girls to bang around with while doing # 1

So my point is that this should not even be an issue to anyone coming here to Buffalo.

Why are we making such a big deal about the words of one dumbass?????

Brick Bar comes to mind.

Where else could you order a case of beer on ice, at the bar!

I have posted this before but I remember a few drafts ago, I think it was the year that Bledsoe got traded to the Bills, Mike Tirico said that the word around the league was that a lot of players hated the idea of getting drafted or traded to Buffalo, but once they were there never wanted to leave and loved it. Surely there have been and always will be exceptions but I believe that's true. It wasn't him just surmising it, he was saying he heard this from a lot of players.

I heard on XM Radio earlier on the Hockey Show they polled all of the NHL players and asked then what city they desired to play in the most?

The most was Toronto...and the least was Buffalo.

The issue is in the NHL as well.

I believe the issue of players not choosing Buffalo will widen as salaries get higher and higher.

Some players do like the small town feel of Buffalo...but in the bling bling era, I feel players want the richer, more glamorous cities.

I heard on XM Radio earlier on the Hockey Show they polled all of the NHL players and asked then what city they desired to play in the most?

I believe the issue of players not choosing Buffalo will widen as salaries get higher and higher.

Some players do like the small town feel of Buffalo...but in the bling bling era, I feel players want the richer, more glamorous cities.

Well the NHL is a different bird because such a large percentage of players are Canadian and then European. They're surely going to want to play for either a Canadian city or a glamour city, as would Europeans.

I find that very hard to believe. I just saw an article about how many formerplayers/coaches/current players (hockey people) live in this area. It's location right on the border is a big plus. I can't see Buffalo last for NHL'ers. These "Bling Bling" NHL'ers love Edmonton? Ottawa? Calgary?

I find that very hard to believe. I just saw an article about how many formerplayers/coaches/current players (hockey people) live in this area. It's location right on the border is a big plus. I can't see Buffalo last for NHL'ers. These "Bling Bling" NHL'ers love Edmonton? Ottawa? Calgary?

I was shocked when I heard that too...and Kelly I agree with your post as well....but that was what I heard...if I can ever find the article, I'll be sure to post it.

I was shocked when I heard that too...and Kelly I agree with your post as well....but that was what I heard...if I can ever find the article, I'll be sure to post it.

Polls in general are sketchy. I mean if you are from Toronto (family, friends old teammates) would you really choose Edmonton over Buffalo. You might say "Toronto first, and Buffalo 2nd" and Buffalo gets no vote.

On a related note, I always honestly thought Tom Donohoe, sensing that it would take a lot to keep Willis McGahee in Buffalo (and still under the impression that he would be a great one) drafted Roscoe Parrish and Kevin Everett, former Miami guys, as a means of making Willis McaGahee happy, and warming him up to the Bills. Other than Jim Kelly (too old school) had the Bills ever drafted a player from the Hurricanes before? Will they ever again?

you have a good point.i know kelly didnt want to go to the bills.the difference from kelly and the likes of mcgahee is that kelly was from pennsylvania.kelly only went to miami so he could be a quarterback.his first choice was penn state.i could see a player from the deep south hating a cold city like buffalo though.