Can you be convinced that the Bills are improving?

They were serious about upgrading the O-Line. They were serious about being fiscally responsible. And they were apparently serious when they said that Ryan Denney is awesome.

However, you know Marv and Ralph and Dickie J will come out after the draft and say that they love the direction, and the team is improving. What will it take in the draft for you to believe them? Is it even possible to get better after losing four of your best players in McGahee, Clements, Fletcher, and Spikes? Are these simply too many holes to fill? Should Marv put McGee and Evans on the block just to see how many 3rd and 4th round picks we can rack up for our skilled players? Can McCargo get healthy for the first time in three years? Will the Jumbotron and ribbon board take your mind off of the product on the field?

Also, we've all seen Willis when he's motivated. The over/under on his performance in the Ralph next year: 135 yds rushing and 1.5 TD's. Over or under?

They were serious about upgrading the O-Line. They were serious about being fiscally responsible. And they were apparently serious when they said that Ryan Denney is awesome.

However, you know Marv and Ralph and Dickie J will come out after the draft and say that they love the direction, and the team is improving. What will it take in the draft for you to believe them? Is it even possible to get better after losing four of your best players in McGahee, Clements, Fletcher, and Spikes? Are these simply too many holes to fill? Should Marv put McGee and Evans on the block just to see how many 3rd and 4th round picks we can rack up for our skilled players? Can McCargo get healthy for the first time in three years? Will the Jumbotron and ribbon board take your mind off of the product on the field?

Also, we've all seen Willis when he's motivated. The over/under on his performance in the Ralph next year: 135 yds rushing and 1.5 TD's. Over or under?

Well, we won't know right after the draft either. Think back to last year... Who in late April would have thought that the Bills had (what looks like now at least) to have been one of the better drafts of any team in the NFL?

Still, to take a stab at answering your question, last year their aim was to heavily attack the secondary. In so doing, with that single draft, they were able to fortify both safety positions -- and possibly found a future replacement for Clements in Youboty. (Obviously the verdict is still out on that.) If they can do the same thing this year in addressing the weak underbelly of the defense -- by addressing the DT and LB needs in the same manner -- then I will call this draft a HUGE success.

For heavens sake! What team in any sport isn't loaded with question marks? If not, then why isn't Mel Kiper an NFL GM? Why haven't the Redskins won 4 straight Super Bowls? Why isn't Sean Salisbury a millionaire making sports bets in Vegas?

I know it's a long offseason and we have a lot of time to kill. But honestly, aren't posts like these so tedious? It seems like all we Bills fans do is look for leaks in the boat. And yet if you look at almost any NFL team, you could poke holes in them too.

Just call me when the season starts.

PTR

Oh my Gosh... you are right... they suck! Why did I not see this after the 15 other threads that started this way? The scales have fallen from my eyes... thank you for freeing me from doing anything so silly as to choose to be happy and optimistic about a child's game and introducing me to the oh-so-healthy practice of looking for reasons to be unhappy in a world that produces enough of them already! I am sure I speak for many others when I say that messages like this are what makes TSW such a joy to visit..... :thumbsup:

Yup, the Bills should just fold this season if Marv and Dick don't have a draft that makes me feel good about the team.

As long as when they say they like the direction the team is heading, AND TRUELY MEAN IT (not just saying it to keep the fans happy/putting on a face) I'm happy, because they have more knowledge when it comes to football then any of us here and now what they are doing, thats why they are in charge and we have to buy tickets to get in and critique the team

For heavens sake! What team in any sport isn't loaded with question marks? If not, then why isn't Mel Kiper an NFL GM? Why haven't the Redskins won 4 straight Super Bowls? Why isn't Sean Salisbury a millionaire making sports bets in Vegas?

I know it's a long offseason and we have a lot of time to kill. But honestly, aren't posts like these so tedious? It seems like all we Bills fans do is look for leaks in the boat. And yet if you look at almost any NFL team, you could poke holes in them too.

PTR

:thumbsup::beer:

PTR

I hear you PTR and I am far from a draft guru myself. I can't worry about who they might draft, I just wait until who they actually DO draft. With Fletch and now apparently Spikes gone, it seems it has to be a LB in the 1st round...But who knows?

My main point was that you know the press conference is coming where they talk about the team getting better. Will you buy it? It can be frustrating when players are dealt with no apparent backup plan, and a team with several holes to fill is creating more.

In response to your question-

I don't think the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavs, Detroit Tigers, or the Nashville Predators have any question marks....

No need to rush to judgment on this. The players lost are replaceable. Fletcher made the bulk of his tacklse downfield. The Bills want a MLB that can play on the LOS and take on OL as well as penetrate into the backfield. That wasn't Fletcher's game. Clements was overkill as a CB in the cover two. Many projected Youboty to be a 1st rounder had he been in this year's draft. In McGahee, the Bills lost a career 3.9 YPC back who had the benefit of a first year mulligan. His departure was addition by subtraction. Whoever the Bills move into that spot will be an upgrade. This is a clear case of fans drinking wa too much Willis koolaid. He's not elusive, nor is he any more powerful than many backs in the NFL. He demonstrated average speed, and no insticnts as a runner. And, definitely proved to be a liability in the passing game... neither was he a good blocker, or receiver. Spikes... one of their best players? No way. Coming off the achilles injury he wasn't anywhere near close to the Spikes we knew... he was barely adequate. He's lost his explosiveness, and therefore lost his game.

We don't know how McCargo will pan out, but, he was just beginning to work the rotation whenhe went down with the foot injury.

If the Bills improved their Oline as much as it would seem, the impact is more profound than you think. Their offense was ranked in the bottom 5 last year. An offense that consisted of a marginal oline, a RB that was below average, a young QB, and an OC that dumbed down the playbook to accomodate his on field talent. This year's offense should take a quantum leap and be more 'middle' of the pack in offensive ranking this year. That alone takes some heat off the defense and more offensive scoring may mean an opposing offense may take more risks against the Bills defense. The Bills need only to shore up their middle... a LB, and possibly a DT, plus their hole at CB, and additional LB depth. The young safeties have cut their teeth and will be one of the unit's strengths.

You don't know what will happen on draft day... and you can mark it down that the Bills, at the end of the draft, will end up with at least two LBs that will see significant playing time, if not, starting. And, LB in this defense does not require the learning curve of many other positons that a rookie must adjust to.

Quit worrying and let things take course. Jauron and Marv are intelligent people that know football. Every draft pick last year made the team last year and many started and played significantly. If the Bills get just 3 good players out of their picks this year, it will be gravy.

Getting rid of players with salaries that ranged anywhere from 2x their intrinsic value (Clements) to 10x (Spikes) has to be a good thing for the long term success of the Bills. I can't complain about the plan because I have a long range view.

It seems like all we Bills fans do is look for leaks in the boat.

PTR

The question he asks is a legitimate one. Why are so many people convinced the Bills are improving when it appears they let players go without a viable replacement lined up. Sure some of these holes will be filled via the draft but many of them won't. This team has been average or bad the past 7 years. This offseason has seen some of the Bills most productive players leave. Yet, somehow, people imagine that the Bills will be better. If the Bills are better with Youboty at CB then why wasn't he starting over Clements? If they were better with Crowell at MLB and Ellision manning the weak side, why weren't they starting there last year? If they were better with Thomas as RB, why wasn't he starting last year? The draft is a crap shoot, to think that the Bills will automatically improve because of it is like putting all your hopes in the roll of the dice. That's not good enough for some.

And no, I'm not claiming McGahee, Fletch or Spikes were all world players. But you know what, they're better than who we currently have on the roster to fill in those spots. Cutting lose lots of players and simply hoping the draft fills all those needs is a mistake imo. Every time somebody lists some concerns (and rightfully so) there are always a million "chicken little" posts mocking those concerns, as if having some concerns about the team is such a ridiculous thing.

Talk to me after the draft. For the first time in over a decade we will have a decent oline. I would love to see us add a WR and RB in the draft, maybe a G- then our offense would be quite solid. When was the last time we had a decent offense? I am excited for our safetys. Rookies last year- they should really develop into one of the better pairs of safetys in the NFL. Mccargo is healthy this year, that is like a first round pick on dline. I think if we got a good pass rusher this defense would be much improved and create lots of turnovers. Granted this team has holes and needs depth, but I am optimistic for this year. We seem to be getting younger and faster. Lets see what the draft brings

I'll take the under on the Willis return game.

I agree with those who posted that the Bills will be better--not ignoring that they lost Fletcher, Clements, etc. but because the o-line will be stronger, and the young players will be a year more expereinced. I expect Losman and the offense to be much better from the start. I think this will be a motivated team, one that lost a lot of close games last season but is learning how to win.

The question he asks is a legitimate one. Why are so many people convinced the Bills are improving when it appears they let players go without a viable replacement lined up.

And no, I'm not claiming McGahee, Fletch or Spikes were all world players. But you know what, they're better than who we currently have on the roster to fill in those spots.

Thanks MDH, that's EXACTLY the point I'm trying to make. For pretty much this entire decade, the Bills have been letting players walk or trading them away without a viable replacement in the plans. It's as if they look at the next guy on the depth chart, even if he isn't starter-caliber, and say, "Well, I guess you're the starter now."

I certainly am not saying that keeping Clements at that salary would have been a good move. And 5 years $25 mil for Fletcher is too much. However, I think McGahee was primed for a good season, and I would like to see Spikes a full two-years after his injury. Spikes was certainly not as explosive last season, but everyone seems to forget that he was also playing a new position, Strong side LB, where you don't tend to fly to the ball like you would as the Weak Side LB.

I am not a 'Sky is Falling' fan and I am not predicting the complete demise of the franchise. All I'm saying is, they're getting rid of their four biggest stars and will have a press conference letting us know that they think we are better off. I hope they are right.

The question he asks is a legitimate one. Why are so many people convinced the Bills are improving when it appears they let players go without a viable replacement lined up. Sure some of these holes will be filled via the draft but many of them won't. This team has been average or bad the past 7 years. This offseason has seen some of the Bills most productive players leave. Yet, somehow, people imagine that the Bills will be better. If the Bills are better with Youboty at CB then why wasn't he starting over Clements? If they were better with Crowell at MLB and Ellision manning the weak side, why weren't they starting there last year? If they were better with Thomas as RB, why wasn't he starting last year? The draft is a crap shoot, to think that the Bills will automatically improve because of it is like putting all your hopes in the roll of the dice. That's not good enough for some.

And no, I'm not claiming McGahee, Fletch or Spikes were all world players. But you know what, they're better than who we currently have on the roster to fill in those spots. Cutting lose lots of players and simply hoping the draft fills all those needs is a mistake imo. Every time somebody lists some concerns (and rightfully so) there are always a million "chicken little" posts mocking those concerns, as if having some concerns about the team is such a ridiculous thing.

I totally agree with you... The issues that you're speaking of are glaring concerns for me personally. I'm not nearly as optimistic now as I was when the season ended. Personally, I don't mind seeing McGahee go b/c I knew it was a matter of time before that was going to happen anyways. Nate was clearly leaving b/c of his desire to be the highest paid DB. I'm sad to see Fletcher go b/c he was a major impact player on the field and the locker room. However, I did realize they weren't going to resign him after he publicly made it known how hurt he was by the Bills treatment of him dealing with a contract extension. I wish him nothing but the best in DC. I'm stilll very troubled with the trading of Spikes. Here is a guy who had a major injury and worked his way back to playing last year and got hurt again that slowed down his progression. He started to come alive again at the end of the year. It usually takes a year to fully recover from that type of injury from what I've been informed. I believe we should keep Spikes and draft a RB, MLB a NT and mid round CB.

At the moment I just don't see us positioning ourselves for success this year... It appears to me that the current angle they are taking is pretty much cleaning house and going with the young movement. While I don't think that's a bad thing entirely, I do believe we need some vetereans to show the young players the way and how to prepare and be a true professional.

Just my take...

I certainly am not saying that keeping Clements at that salary would have been a good move. And 5 years $25 mil for Fletcher is too much. However, I think McGahee was primed for a good season, and I would like to see Spikes a full two-years after his injury. Spikes was certainly not as explosive last season, but everyone seems to forget that he was also playing a new position, Strong side LB, where you don't tend to fly to the ball like you would as the Weak Side LB.

Boy you must have missed Willis running his mouth saying that he couldn't wait to get out of Buffalo.

Willis wasn't going to play another down with the Bills, Fletcher and Clements got payed WAY more than they are worth. Spikes I may see the point there. But again....it sounds to me that Takeo himself wants to move on since Buffalo GAVE HIM PERMISSION to seek out a trade.

I don't see anything wrong with what the Bills are doing. None whatsoever.

PTR

Just killing time until the draft starts. It's taking forever to get here. Did anyone see the Southpark episode where Cartman was waiting for the Wii to come out? He froze himself so that he would not have to deal with the wait. That is what I liken this to.

Here is to 100's more disagreements until draft day... :thumbsup:

What else is there to talk about?

Spikes was certainly not as explosive last season, but everyone seems to forget that he was also playing a new position, Strong side LB, where you don't tend to fly to the ball like you would as the Weak Side LB.

You are correct that Spikes was not flying to the ball.

However, all the LBs in the cover-2 need to fly to the ball. Failure to do so last year is a big reason why the run defense was so poor.

Spikes either couldn't or wouldn't- so they felt they couldn't get any worse production for the $4.5 mil due to Spikes from a rookie or low level vet who is better suited to play the cover-2.