A Sense of Urgency

BillsVet

Every time someone like a new GM and/or coach arrives, we've got to give them a few years. At least that's what many on this board say. Well, we've done that a few times now. At which point do we say, "Win Now" to the new guy.

Frankly I don't want to hear about 2008. It's too far off and the 07 season is still more than 5 months away.

We had to play those five rooks last season because there was nothing else in the talent/warm body department. Having five rookies play doesn't mean you had a solid draft, it means your team had no depth. I'm concerned about a team that continually gets younger every season. You could potentially have starting on defense this season 7 guys who were drafted in 2004-2007. (CB Youboty, SS Whitner, FS Simpson, CB McGee, MLB/OLB Crowell, OLB Ellison, DT Williams/McCargo) Don't confuse youth with talent and it's not always a good thing.

All good points, but in the final analysis, we dont have any choice except to watch and wait and be happy. Because Marv doesn't read TBD or care what we think.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With free agency 3 weeks old and the draft still a long month away, I get the feeling Buffalo is looking further down the road than 2007. Although the season is still almost half a year away, it appears the Bills will not acquire any starting caliber free agents the rest of the way. There may be some players available later in the off-season, but I rarely hear Buffalo is interested like we heard when Dockery visited OBD on opening day of free agency.

The question is this: do Bills fans think Buffalo looks toward 2008 or will they go out of their way to win in 2007?

And what qualifies for success in 2007? Is it merely being .500, making the playoffs, or winning a post-season game?

Do they have a sense of urgency for 2007 with the franchise missing the playoffs each season since 2000?

Of course not. What foolishness is this? Marv and Ralph know they're going to live forever.

They have the luxury of building the team the way they want it built - economically and following Marv's unproven Offensive, Defensive and ST coaching philosophy. If it doesn't happen now, well there's always 2030.

Don't rob yourself of an unsubstantiated notion that they're twiddling their thumbs during their (very few) waking hours and allowing all the best names in the league to be snatched out from under our noses. They're obviously doing nothing more to improve this year's squad. Afterall who won't be surprised if they don't show up in NYC for the first day of the Draft. First day picks cost too much don't ya know. Conventional wisdom is we won't sign anyone unless it's on the cheap.

So sit back, take a chill pill and relax. It's not going to get any better.

If you look and see how much the increased spending has affected every team in the league, you will realize why Marv and Co. arean't giving up alot now, because it will benefit this team in the long run. We are going to ahve to use some of the remainder cap space of ~$20M to sign a couple of core leaders on this team in a few years: Losman and Evans.

I also think that this front office is not going to mortgage the future with draft picks to move up in the draft to select AP this year. I think the Bills brass are looking down the road to next year where you will se an abundance of very talented RBs eligible for the draft.

Ray Rice

Steve Slaton

Darren McFadden

Mike Hart

All these guys are first round talent so I think that the Bills will be looking forward to the future to select their new franchise guy, and for this year, rely on a RBBC and a servicable mid round flyer at RB.

Of that group, only Darren McFadden is a definite first round talent, and he's likely to be a top 3 selection in 2008 or 2009. Rice, Slaton and Hart are all very undersized as pro RBs and all are listed at around 5'9" 195lbs. Even if one assumes that these guys can be 'franchise' Rbs in the NFL (and I think that's a stretch), you also have to consider that Rice, Slaton and McFadden still have two years of eligibility left. While it seems likely that they will, its not a given that any of them will declare.

Of course not. What foolishness is this? Marv and Ralph know they're going to live forever.

They have the luxury of building the team the way they want it built - economically and following Marv's unproven Offensive, Defensive and ST coaching philosophy. If it doesn't happen now, well there's always 2030.

Don't rob yourself of an unsubstantiated notion that they're twiddling their thumbs during their (very few) waking hours and allowing all the best names in the league to be snatched out from under our noses. They're obviously doing nothing more to improve this year's squad. Afterall who won't be surprised if they don't show up in NYC for the first day of the Draft. First day picks cost too much don't ya know. Conventional wisdom is we won't sign anyone unless it's on the cheap.

So sit back, take a chill pill and relax. It's not going to get any better.

There's nothing like a sarcastic response to brighten your day. Thanks for the new perspective.

Seriously, please give me something more than that. When someone starts using facts to back a perceived "negative" (see realisitc) opinion we get sarcasm in return. It's so predictable and usually comes from those who want to feel good about their team without much beyond wishful thinking to back themselves up. Asking the tough questions doesn't go over well with them.

Already this off-season we've shed some players that needed to go and didn't replace them all that well. I'm happy they addressed the offensive line, but if you target one area in free agency, you're never going to cover all your bases.

This team has more young (read >3 years in the league) starters it's unbelievable. Some of them will be good, others won't. Youth doesn't usually lend itself to success. But you know sarcasm, it's what you fall back on when you've got nothing.

There's nothing like a sarcastic response to brighten your day. Thanks for the new perspective.

Seriously, please give me something more than that. When someone starts using facts to back a perceived "negative" (see realisitc) opinion we get sarcasm in return. It's so predictable and usually comes from those who want to feel good about their team without much beyond wishful thinking to back themselves up. Asking the tough questions doesn't go over well with them.

Already this off-season we've shed some players that needed to go and didn't replace them all that well. I'm happy they addressed the offensive line, but if you target one area in free agency, you're never going to cover all your bases.

This team has more young (read >3 years in the league) starters it's unbelievable. Some of them will be good, others won't. Youth doesn't usually lend itself to success. But you know sarcasm, it's what you fall back on when you've got nothing.

You're welcome.

Take a deep breath. You're thinking too deeply, and your premise is shallow. The season is 160 or more days away at this point in time. You seem to be crawling out of your skin because all the puzzle pieces aren't put together yet. Marv's job is to assemble a squad that will be competitive this year. It doesn't have to happen in one fell swoop - in spite of your or my most fervent desires.

What makes you think they're not working the phones, pressing the flesh, and making those inquiries that the likes of you and I don't hear about till days after the news breaks. Besides, the offseason isn't one pell-mell free for all of activity. People have to eat too you know.

Who says Marv doesn't have a plan to fill in the holes that he's so keenly aware that he has in his roster? You thinking they have to be filled with former ProBowlers on the cheap, or some other up-and-coming "name" player that we've "heard of"?

"X is available? Marv, I've heard of him. Sign him. Get'r done!" is one of the biggest jokes running here since Tommy Donna-the-ho left with his tail between his legs.

By the way, TD had 5 years to get it done and didn't. In case you haven't noticed lately, about 50% of his players are now tail lights.

"This team has more young (read >3 years in the league) starters it's unbelievable."

Actually it's <3 years if you're trying to make a point about youth, and yes it's a pretty young team. That's (obviously) the direction Marv's headed the team. It's a principle of his team building philosophy. I'll take that on the short term and for the long haul vs. Tommy Bustaho's flashy wheeling and dealing which got us exactly strunes for five years. Sure, it sold a lot of jerseys. But who's proudly strutting around Upstate NY in their Bledsoe/McGahee/Malloy/Robinson/Clements/Vincent/Williams colors lately?

One thing I do know is that I don't rely on my favorite sports teams to feel good about myself. I'm not looking for bragging rights at the water cooler for actions on the field that are out of my control or that I have nothing to do with.

Remember, patience is a virtue. I'll give you credit for caring though. But don't care too much, for therein lies madness. <_<

Every time someone like a new GM and/or coach arrives, we've got to give them a few years. At least that's what many on this board say. Well, we've done that a few times now. At which point do we say, "Win Now" to the new guy.

Frankly I don't want to hear about 2008. It's too far off and the 07 season is still more than 5 months away.

We had to play those five rooks last season because there was nothing else in the talent/warm body department. Having five rookies play doesn't mean you had a solid draft, it means your team had no depth. I'm concerned about a team that continually gets younger every season. You could potentially have starting on defense this season 7 guys who were drafted in 2004-2007. (CB Youboty, SS Whitner, FS Simpson, CB McGee, MLB/OLB Crowell, OLB Ellison, DT Williams/McCargo) Don't confuse youth with talent and it's not always a good thing.

The reason so many rookies started last year is they had more talent than the players they replaced. When the players drafted this year start it will be because they are more talented than the player they replaced. Don't confuse youth with lack of talent it's never a good thing. <_<

The reason so many rookies started last year is they had more talent than the players they replaced. When the players drafted this year start it will be because they are more talented than the player they replaced. Don't confuse youth with lack of talent it's never a good thing. <_<

This one's for you! :thumbsup:

You're welcome.

Take a deep breath. You're thinking too deeply, and your premise is shallow. The season is 160 or more days away at this point in time. You seem to be crawling out of your skin because all the puzzle pieces aren't put together yet. Marv's job is to assemble a squad that will be competitive this year. It doesn't have to happen in one fell swoop - in spite of your or my most fervent desires.

What makes you think they're not working the phones, pressing the flesh, and making those inquiries that the likes of you and I don't hear about till days after the news breaks. Besides, the offseason isn't one pell-mell free for all of activity. People have to eat too you know.

Who says Marv doesn't have a plan to fill in the holes that he's so keenly aware that he has in his roster? You thinking they have to be filled with former ProBowlers on the cheap, or some other up-and-coming "name" player that we've "heard of"?

"X is available? Marv, I've heard of him. Sign him. Get'r done!" is one of the biggest jokes running here since Tommy Donna-the-ho left with his tail between his legs.

By the way, TD had 5 years to get it done and didn't. In case you haven't noticed lately, about 50% of his players are now tail lights.

"This team has more young (read >3 years in the league) starters it's unbelievable."

Actually it's <3 years if you're trying to make a point about youth, and yes it's a pretty young team. That's (obviously) the direction Marv's headed the team. It's a principle of his team building philosophy. I'll take that on the short term and for the long haul vs. Tommy Bustaho's flashy wheeling and dealing which got us exactly strunes for five years. Sure, it sold a lot of jerseys. But who's proudly strutting around Upstate NY in their Bledsoe/McGahee/Malloy/Robinson/Clements/Vincent/Williams colors lately?

One thing I do know is that I don't rely on my favorite sports teams to feel good about myself. I'm not looking for bragging rights at the water cooler for actions on the field that are out of my control or that I have nothing to do with.

Remember, patience is a virtue. I'll give you credit for caring though. But don't care too much, for therein lies madness. <_<

As a fan, if you're not looking to make the playoffs and win each season, you may as well not even follow the sport. That's my point. There are a host of teams last season that made huge strides from one year to the next. New Orleans, the Jets, Baltimore, Philly, and San Diego all improved their win total by 4 from 2005 to 2006. Seems like we're taking baby steps toward respectability. Then again, we're not giving our front office enough time. So other teams can become successful (see playoff appearances) from one season to the next and yet we somehow don't have to be because we're building up to it.

Marv's a great guy, but the league passed him by. He relies considerably on Dick Jauron, whose 43-58 career record doesn't really make me feel better. Face it, Marv was hired to provide gravitas and a nice popular face after the departure of the universally hated TD. Other peole do the heavy lifting. He provides the image and character.

This team's struggles have a huge effect on WNY. There are varying levels of Bills fans throughout the region, but the fans I can't stand are the ones who see Buffalo lose and don't care by Tuesday. In comparison, the people who carry it around for months are also out there. The team's PR people get you all excited season after season and we end up on the outside looking when the playoffs roll around.

Yeah, patience is a virute. Most Bills fans have had 7 years worth. I guess it's OK to give another year.

Yeah, patience is a virute. Most Bills fans have had 7 years worth. I guess it's OK to give another year.

So what exactly is it you suggest? Bring in as many high prices FA's as we can and pray that it's enough to make us win this year, while screwing ourselves down the line? Even if that was your plan, it doesn't work. It never works.

How do you suggest the team "wins now"? If you're willing to sacrifice the future, what moves would you make to guarantee a Super Bowl?

When someone starts using facts to back a perceived "negative" (see realisitc) opinion we get sarcasm in return.

What facts have you used? "Marv bad"? Excellent analysis.

So what exactly is it you suggest? Bring in as many high prices FA's as we can and pray that it's enough to make us win this year, while screwing ourselves down the line? Even if that was your plan, it doesn't work. It never works.

How do you suggest the team "wins now"? If you're willing to sacrifice the future, what moves would you make to guarantee a Super Bowl?

What facts have you used? "Marv bad"? Excellent analysis.

I'm merely suggesting that you can win more than 2 games over the previous season. And you don't have to acquire big name talent to do that. I think this board has agreed the path to success begins on draft day. But free agency is there to fill in for those times you can't stock a position through the draft or need help right away. The draft takes 2-3 years normally.

Listen, I'm not advocating getting name free agents every year. We can agree that's not the solution. But a little spending goes a long way to enhancing the draft. Dockery, Langston, and Whittle have been signed to improve the OL and I believe they'll do just that. But did any other area improve? The answer is decidedly no. We're wishing and hoping that what we had last season combined with improvement in now 2nd year and drafted players will provide the difference. Plain and simple, it seems to me that expectations are modest for the 2007 season.

As for Levy, still a great guy. He's not bad as a person or coach. But GM remains to be seen. Unless that press conference was a complete and purposely misrepresentation of his knowledge, I'm not really confident of his abilities to be an NFL GM. HOF coach...newcomer to GM. We want to give Marv credit for everything, but how much did Polian, Butler, Smith, and Adams contribute to those late eighties and early nineties teams? In their sted we have Tom Modrak and Jim Overdorf. Just because Marv believes in character players doesn't mean that's a dynamic or new-wave approach. That's been going on now a few years. The Dockery signing was huge and I'm glad for it. It will come off like a kid not getting enough on Christmas, but I was expecting more beyond that.

Not once did I insinuate being a Super Bowl team. There's 32 teams in this league and that's not going to happen. But 12 teams get into the playoffs. And just once I'd like to be one of those 12.

Again, you seem impatient that Marv hasn't completed his team NOW!

It's not like he can go to a sports Wegmans and stock up on all his needs by wheeling through the aisles.

So what's the alternative? Hold your breathe till you turn blue and Marv notices and does something to make you feel better? Don't go to the games that won't start for another 5 1/2 months?

You do know that by all accounts Marv had the final say on personnel during he SB years and that Modrak is given the chief credit for building an incredibly stocked Iggles franchise. For all the good things that he did, Butler absolutely blew his last year here and AJ is the beneficiary of a string of events that finally had him stock a talent-laden team - but hello - SD blew gopher puss for years with him at the helm which is how they got so many #1 picks in the draft to begin with.

I think Marv's putting this team to be in position to be in the playoffs year after year. You can't climb to the summit of Mt Everest from the floor of the valley in a single climb. The last time this team was in a position to make a run deep we all threw up in Memphis. If that hadn't happened we'd have gone to the big dance and TD would never have been brought in to dismantle the team. For all his wheeling and dealing Donnaho's handywork was just a crappy patchwork quilt of dysfunctional malcontents who thought they were a lot better than they actually were - AND TD had most of the people in WNY believing it too.

So who do you want Marv to bring in before the Draft so he can adjust his trading/drafting schema to accommodate the older players you so fervently desire? Should we overpay for them now by trading with their current team for Draft picks or players? Do you suggest Marv try to fill every hole and spend every available dollar now and not wait for the June 1 vet cuts to get some late harvest fruit? Maybe he could package all our draft picks for a nice name player or three. After all rookies won't contribute much to this year's Playoff run, so why have any? Let's hear your list of can't-miss players that Marv should get now that will put us deep into the Playoffs and be the core of a new Bills dynasty.

I'm merely suggesting that you can win more than 2 games over the previous season. And you don't have to acquire big name talent to do that. I think this board has agreed the path to success begins on draft day. But free agency is there to fill in for those times you can't stock a position through the draft or need help right away. The draft takes 2-3 years normally.

Listen, I'm not advocating getting name free agents every year. We can agree that's not the solution. But a little spending goes a long way to enhancing the draft. Dockery, Langston, and Whittle have been signed to improve the OL and I believe they'll do just that. But did any other area improve? The answer is decidedly no. We're wishing and hoping that what we had last season combined with improvement in now 2nd year and drafted players will provide the difference. Plain and simple, it seems to me that expectations are modest for the 2007 season.

As for Levy, still a great guy. He's not bad as a person or coach. But GM remains to be seen. Unless that press conference was a complete and purposely misrepresentation of his knowledge, I'm not really confident of his abilities to be an NFL GM. HOF coach...newcomer to GM. We want to give Marv credit for everything, but how much did Polian, Butler, Smith, and Adams contribute to those late eighties and early nineties teams? In their sted we have Tom Modrak and Jim Overdorf. Just because Marv believes in character players doesn't mean that's a dynamic or new-wave approach. That's been going on now a few years. The Dockery signing was huge and I'm glad for it. It will come off like a kid not getting enough on Christmas, but I was expecting more beyond that.

Not once did I insinuate being a Super Bowl team. There's 32 teams in this league and that's not going to happen. But 12 teams get into the playoffs. And just once I'd like to be one of those 12.

Dude, you have got to relax a bit. The fact that we have improved the O line is a godsend. It has been terrible for years. If this line plays like we hope it can and can finally open some holes for the run game, and our other young players get better as you would expect with more experience, we could be looking at a 3-4 win increase. Also, getting rid of Willis and anybody else with a negative attitude will only help matters. And if we get at least the same contributions from this years draft class as last years, I see us having at least a very good shot at a wild card. Try and drink some of the Kool aid, it makes life more enjoyable. GO BILLS

Dude, you have got to relax a bit. The fact that we have improved the O line is a godsend. It has been terrible for years. If this line plays like we hope it can and can finally open some holes for the run game, and our other young players get better as you would expect with more experience, we could be looking at a 3-4 win increase. Also, getting rid of Willis and anybody else with a negative attitude will only help matters. And if we get at least the same contributions from this years draft class as last years, I see us having at least a very good shot at a wild card. Try and drink some of the Kool aid, it makes life more enjoyable. GO BILLS

I'm thinking BillsVet = TD.

With free agency 3 weeks old and the draft still a long month away, I get the feeling Buffalo is looking further down the road than 2007. Although the season is still almost half a year away, it appears the Bills will not acquire any starting caliber free agents the rest of the way. There may be some players available later in the off-season, but I rarely hear Buffalo is interested like we heard when Dockery visited OBD on opening day of free agency.

The question is this: do Bills fans think Buffalo looks toward 2008 or will they go out of their way to win in 2007?

And what qualifies for success in 2007? Is it merely being .500, making the playoffs, or winning a post-season game?

Do they have a sense of urgency for 2007 with the franchise missing the playoffs each season since 2000?

1. There probably are not too many starting caliber free agents left. If so, certainly not in our positions of need and within our cost constraints. Maybe we make a move for Brown at RB, if the price is right.

2. Like most teams, we might look at more free agents after the draft but those are usually tier 2 guys and roster filler.

3. I think sucess in 2007 is finishing with a better record than 2006 and improving in the key statistical areas. The biggest indicator for success in 2007 is that JP develops to the next level. Everything hinges in him being the man.

4. Yes we are looking further down the road. We do not have the talent to make a run at the SB yet. The playoffs would be a nice surprise ... keyword is surprise.

It seems to me that to establish a team as a legitimate contender takes 3 very good drafts. Free agency can supplement and fill holes but it is not the way to build a team.

There certainly aren't many free agents left who could be counted on as quality free agents. In fact I think we can all agree it wasn't a real strong class after about 5 players who commanded immense cash for their services. Still not sure about Chris Brown, but he's been rumored to go to Buffalo for about 2 weeks now. I have a feeling it's not happening.

To say we've got to wait some more ignores the players we have on the roster from the TD regime. There are some remnants from TD's five poor seasons who make contributions to this team. You know the names, but if we need 3 full drafts in addition to what was here before Marv arrived you're looking at 2008 to compete. That's a long time.

I guess the sum of this topic is this: Do you want to have 8-9 years between playoff appearances? The salary cap was designed to get more teams into the playoffs rather than a select few who had the best personnel departments. 7 years is already an eternity. But if that doesn't bother people, I guess it shouldn't bother everyone.

And for the character who wondered if I was TD...nice. But unless TD was running the show from Iraq, then I'm not him.

Every once in a while you say something that almost makes sense...and then...stuff like this:

Marv's a great guy, but the league passed him by. He relies considerably on Dick Jauron,
Can you supply ANY evidence for this statement? What has Marv done that shows the game has passed him by? Name two, three, four specific things that you can point to that demonstrate Marv is a step behind the times...Please enlighten us.

Also, please point to some examples where Marv's Dick (as The Senator calls Jauron) has saved Marv from doing something wrong, made a decision that Marv would have screwed up...SOMETHING to back up these ridiculous claims. Of course, it would be tough to back the claim that Dick has helped Marv as Dick clearly is not too competent in your mind.

Dick Jauron, whose 43-58 career record doesn't really make me feel better

of course, I don't think you can back that up and I think you know it, as demonstrated by your most recent post:

As for Levy, still a great guy. He's not bad as a person or coach. But GM remains to be seen.

Remains to be seen? You already said the game passed him by. You have knowledge that he relies on Dick (who sucks) to make the decisions.

If I'm coming off as a dick (the biggest on the board, I'm told by a clueless newbie), it's because this kind of BS reeks of Troll talk. Senseless, baseless and contradictory trash talk is usually just spewn to piss off the true fans of the team. Trolls in disguise really piss me off.

Not sure if someone kicked your dog today, but that's funny stuff. Troll? Nah, wouldn't have joined in the dead of January when nothing was going on. I enjoy talking about moves and seeing what other teams do. While there are exceptions, I like what people bring to the table here with news and opinions. And that's all they are...opinions. If you don't like mine, so what.

Listen, I'm not a DJ fan after what happened in Chicago. Sure, there's the career record, not to mention an 0-1 playoff record and one good season to show for five seasons total. And yes, he has immense impact on Marv's personnel decisions. Ever wonder why we went defense with 6 of 9 picks last draft? It's because Jauron is a defense first and second coach. His Bears teams recorded 4 30+ point games. That's fine if you've got the defense to stop the other team, but if you don't you're in for a long day. Kinda like this last season.

As for Marv, he was out of football for 10 years. Have you ever asked yourself why we hired him? How many guys come back into the league as a GM with no NFL GM experience? Only teams in need of a face-lift and a better rep do something like that. And did you watch or listen to the press conference back in February? Marv spoke about running down the hall to Overdorf about cap issues and just now getting deeper into scouting and personnel issues. And did you even think he didn't know what Willis said? Come on, that's more wishful thinking. Do you think Marv didn't know or was feigning cap knowledge? He's too honest for that.

And one more thing-I don't care what a newbie said about your tone. At the end of the day your opinion and mine make no difference, so shelve the intimidation thing. Who cares? Then again, this could all be a devil's advocate thing.

Not sure if someone kicked your dog today, but that's funny stuff. Troll? Nah, wouldn't have joined in the dead of January when nothing was going on. I enjoy talking about moves and seeing what other teams do. While there are exceptions, I like what people bring to the table here with news and opinions. And that's all they are...opinions. If you don't like mine, so what.

Listen, I'm not a DJ fan after what happened in Chicago. Sure, there's the career record, not to mention an 0-1 playoff record and one good season to show for five seasons total. And yes, he has immense impact on Marv's personnel decisions. Ever wonder why we went defense with 6 of 9 picks last draft? It's because Jauron is a defense first and second coach. His Bears teams recorded 4 30+ point games. That's fine if you've got the defense to stop the other team, but if you don't you're in for a long day. Kinda like this last season.

As for Marv, he was out of football for 10 years. Have you ever asked yourself why we hired him? How many guys come back into the league as a GM with no NFL GM experience? Only teams in need of a face-lift and a better rep do something like that. And did you watch or listen to the press conference back in February? Marv spoke about running down the hall to Overdorf about cap issues and just now getting deeper into scouting and personnel issues. And did you even think he didn't know what Willis said? Come on, that's more wishful thinking. Do you think Marv didn't know or was feigning cap knowledge? He's too honest for that.

And one more thing-I don't care what a newbie said about your tone. At the end of the day your opinion and mine make no difference, so shelve the intimidation thing. Who cares? Then again, this could all be a devil's advocate thing.

Not a devils advocate thing and not trying to intimidate.

Marv has ALWAYS been a D-first guy...that's one of the reasons he choose Dick. HE choose Dick (not in a gay way, of course)...HE made that call. And Marv has ALWAYS been a CEO-type (even when he was Head Coach). He let the OC call the O and the DC call the D. But he CHOOSE (with input, of course) and managed them. He runs a collaborative team and always has. There is no shame in letting people with experience in particular areas do their jobs. Nothing has changed as far as that's concerned.

Other than point to the fact that he was out of football for 10 years, you have done nothing to support your claim (well, at least your claim a few posts ago) that the game has passed him by. He has done nothing...NOTHING, IMO., to indicate that the game has, indeed, passed him by. In fact, in the short time he's been here, he has improved the W-L record of the team, establish a #1 QB. put the team in terrific cap and draft position and made one of the best all-around drafts the team has had in years. But, the game has passed him by?

I think the PR aspect was clearly one of the reasons he was chosen. And, had he been a bust, you would have a point. There is nothing to indicate that he has been or will be a bust. All I'm asking for is for you to point to a few instances where Marv's age and/or time away from the NFL has become apparent in a poor decision.

As for cap knowledge, many teams have cap experts. Marv has always been straight up about what he knows well and what he doesn't. Intimate knowledge of the cap and scouting details are not his direct strengths. He has people for that and I'm sure he manages them closely. There are people he trusts and believes in to run the various aspects of the team. So far the results have been very good-to-excellent. With the draft choices and cap room we have, I expect the team will continue to improve.

You are right about one thing...This is Marv's first shot at being an NFL GM...so a wait-and-see attitude is warranted. But, the results so far point to a guy who has everything under control. (I'm still BEGGING you to point out some areas that display Marv's incompetence. And if you can't, and you REALLY are a Bills fan, why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt. After all he DID bring the team to 4 straight SBs.)

Perhaps you just don't understand the importance of, or don't have a healthy respect for, a person who successfully manages to turn around the entire culture of an organization. What's happened with the Bills in one year is VERY impressive, IMO. Marv is the guy RUNNING the show and, so far, it's turning out to be one hell of a performance.

I think under the current philosophical approach this team will reach it's peak in talent in 2008 but unfortunately in 2009 it will lose more talent to free agency. The Bills will be stuck in a cycle of having to draft to replace lost free agents every year. I expect records anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 over the next 5 years.

Not a devils advocate thing and not trying to intimidate.

Marv has ALWAYS been a D-first guy...that's one of the reasons he choose Dick. HE choose Dick (not in a gay way, of course)...HE made that call. And Marv has ALWAYS been a CEO-type (even when he was Head Coach). He let the OC call the O and the DC call the D. But he CHOOSE (with input, of course) and managed them. He runs a collaborative team and always has. There is no shame in letting people with experience in particular areas do their jobs. Nothing has changed as far as that's concerned.

Other than point to the fact that he was out of football for 10 years, you have done nothing to support your claim (well, at least your claim a few posts ago) that the game has passed him by. He has done nothing...NOTHING, IMO., to indicate that the game has, indeed, passed him by. In fact, in the short time he's been here, he has improved the W-L record of the team, establish a #1 QB. put the team in terrific cap and draft position and made one of the best all-around drafts the team has had in years. But, the game has passed him by?

I think the PR aspect was clearly one of the reasons he was chosen. And, had he been a bust, you would have a point. There is nothing to indicate that he has been or will be a bust. All I'm asking for is for you to point to a few instances where Marv's age and/or time away from the NFL has become apparent in a poor decision.

As for cap knowledge, many teams have cap experts. Marv has always been straight up about what he knows well and what he doesn't. Intimate knowledge of the cap and scouting details are not his direct strengths. He has people for that and I'm sure he manages them closely. There are people he trusts and believes in to run the various aspects of the team. So far the results have been very good-to-excellent. With the draft choices and cap room we have, I expect the team will continue to improve.

You are right about one thing...This is Marv's first shot at being an NFL GM...so a wait-and-see attitude is warranted. But, the results so far point to a guy who has everything under control. (I'm still BEGGING you to point out some areas that display Marv's incompetence. And if you can't, and you REALLY are a Bills fan, why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt. After all he DID bring the team to 4 straight SBs.)

Perhaps you just don't understand the importance of, or don't have a healthy respect for, a person who successfully manages to turn around the entire culture of an organization. What's happened with the Bills in one year is VERY impressive, IMO. Marv is the guy RUNNING the show and, so far, it's turning out to be one hell of a performance.

If that PC was any indication, Marv is not your classic Polian, Newsome, Pioli, insert GM here, type of General Manager. I got that. I'm just not comfortable with a triumvirate of people making decisisons. I have no definitive smoking gun truth, but I think it's safe to say they make decisions by committee up there at OBD. But I'll say one thing, micromanaging a team or an organization is doomed to fail. Individuals don't care for someone looking over their shoulder. At the same time, you must exercise some level of control. Hopefully Marv is in the middle of those two areas. If anything, he's closer to the latter.

The season itself will point out mistakes and good decisions. Hindsight is 20/20. But it's my take that they're stripping away too much of the team at once, and while some people like to rationalize every move and question nothing, I don't see it that way. You can talk about Spikes being a negative influence, his cap hit, whatever. But you don't have a better option. If he departs for draft picks, you're leaving the team extremely thin at LB. And CB doesn't look much better. We're hoping and praying that the guys who've been career backups and our 1st and 2nd year guys can perform at a certain level. To believe that is nonsense. You can get picks for experienced veterans, but doing that too often is such a long-term and risky investment. Let's see what Spikes goes for first, because it seems like a foregone conclusion. We all agree draft picks are not a sure thing, no matter who is doing the selecting. In Buffalo, having 2-3 starters come from each draft will be required, not optional. Marv and DJ need immediate impact players each season.