Scratch Patrick Willis off your draft wish list.

Brandon

Willis ran a 4.37 and 4.38 at his pro day workouts. I already thought the 49ers would take him at 11, but he may not even fall that far now. The only knock there ever was against him was speed, a question he answered at the combine but he has now completely blown that issue out of the water.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#mich

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willis ran a 4.37 and 4.38 at his pro day workouts. I already thought the 49ers would take him at 11, but he may not even fall that far now. The only knock there ever was against him was speed, a question he answered at the combine but he has now completely blown that issue out of the water.

Actually, the real knock on him was strength. I think he benched less than most RB's and a few QB's ;)

checked, 22 reps. Quinn had 24.

22 reps for a LB is a reasonable sum, and shouldn't effect his draft status. Quinn's 24 reps for a QB is absolutely unheard of-- and he POWERED through those reps-- so he sets the bar a little high. A LOT of people had fewer reps than Brady Quinn.

He was expected to run a 4.6 at the combine. He wasn't expected to be 'slow', just not to exhibit elite speed.

I'm a Razorback fan and have that particular game recorded, along with several others. McFadden is fast, but he's probably not as fast as their #2 RB, Felix Jones.

22 reps for a LB is a reasonable sum, and shouldn't effect his draft status. Quinn's 24 reps for a QB is absolutely unheard of-- and he POWERED through those reps-- so he sets the bar a little high. A LOT of people had fewer reps than Brady Quinn.

This was his group at the combine...out of 34 LB's in the group only 14 had the same or worse. Beason had 19 <_< Not that I don't think that 22 is a lot and I would love this guy on the Bills but I remember watching some combine coverage on NFL Network and they were talking about it as a lower score.

Jonathan Abbate Wake Forest 26

Rufus Alexander Oklahoma 25

Antwan Barnes Florida Int. 31

Jon Beason Miami (Fla.) 19

Desmond Bishop Cal-Berkeley 33

Quincy Black New Mexico 24

H.B. Blades Pittsburgh 22

Stewart Bradley Nebraska 28

Prescott Burgess Michigan 19

Quinton Culberson Mississippi St. 18

James Davis Florida St. 24

Zak Deossie Brown 26

Justin Durant Hampton 25

Earl Everett Florida 19

David Harris Michigan 23

Nate Harris Louisville 26

Rory Johnson Mississippi 19

Zach Latimer Oklahoma 19

Marvin Mitchell Tennessee 22

Stephen Nicholas South Florida 29

Chad Nkang Elon 23

Michael Okwo Stanford 20

Sam Olajubutu Arkansas 24

Blair Phillips Oregon 23

Paul Poslusky Penn St. 22

Dallas Sartz Southern Cal 20

Tim Shaw Penn St. 26

Juwan Simpson Alabama 15

Kelvin Smith Syracuse 26

Tony Taylor Georgia 26

Lawrence Timmons Florida St. 25

Justin Warren Texas A&M 16

Anthony Waters Clemson 25

Patrick Willis Mississippi 22

Willis has extremely long arms - which help in pass coverage but make it harder to bench press.

I'll take the speed and let the Bills strentgh team build up any missing muscle mass.

Rigggghhht, because one's ability to play linebacker weighs heavily on his bench press statistics. <_<

Come on, don't tell me you don't see play after play on Sunday where the MLB is lifting other players over his head in his pursuit of the ball carrier.

do you know what type of track it was on? He ran 4.62 at the combine I am pretty amazed he dropped his time by a quarter of a second (0.25).

do you know what type of track it was on? He ran 4.62 at the combine I am pretty amazed he dropped his time by a quarter of a second (0.25).

I have him at a 4.51 from the combine, but I agree, its a significant drop either way. I have no idea what type of surface he ran it on.

Just a little comment on this.....

Athletes who are tall with long limbs have a harder time with these particular lifts then players that are shorter/squattier with shorter arms.....

My 15 year old son was all upset because one of his friends (another football player) tested out at 225 ORM while he only got up 215.

Very little of this translates over to the field however....lifting tests that really matter are squat and powerclean