Greatest All Time : Running Backs

Yeah, we've done this before on this board I'm sure. Times change, some people are saying LT might be the greatest ever.

I'm sure most of these guys are on your list. Who shouldn't be on this list? Who should? Who's the greatest? In order.

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

LaDainian Tomlinson

Walter Payton

Emmitt Smith

Gale Sayers

O.J. Simpson

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Marcus Allen

My order (modern era):

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

O.J. Simpson

Eric Dickerson

Gale Sayers

Marshall Faulk

Earl Campbell

LaDainian Tomlinson - and climbing

Barry Sanders

Thurman Thomas

Emmitt Smith

Marcus Allen

John Riggins

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Brown was the greatest of all time, no one else is even a close 2nd

For the kids who never seen OJ, putting him any thing below #2 is pure ignorance...and I say that in a nice way. Criminal aside, any one over the age of 42 will agree with me, I'm sure. Payton, Sanders, Dickerson were great...but Brown and OJ were the greatest. They were powerful, can run as fast as anyone (anyody who doubts OJ's speed..he ran a 9.1 100 yard sprint) could cut on the dime, had great balance, and could push a pile as well as anyone. Payton is a smidge behind OJ. Sanders was exciting but he had a lot of negative runs. Then the list tails off. Neither is Emmitt or Dickerson close...they were fast through the hole and strong, but straight line runners. LT is the same type of back.

I give Earl Campbell a possible #4 all time back and Thurman is in top 12 to 15 pure running skill, but top 10 all-around.

Forget it. Don't even argue if you haven't seen OJ run...he was simply phenomenal.

Jim Brown played in the AFL when there were 8 teams, and plus he had a team around him, What did Barry Sanders have around him? He was the Detroit Lions.

No, he didn't. Cleveland was never in the AFL, and there weren't eight teams, there were 12 in his first season and 22 in his last. He ran for 1800+ yards a decade before anyone else even came close.

Jim Brown was the greatest of all time, no one else is even a close 2nd

There a lot of "old timers" who share your opinion. I'm disappointed I never got to see him play (aside from random highlights)...or Gale Sayers for that matter.

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. Barry Sanders

4. Emmitt Smith

5. OJ

6. Bo Jackson

7. Tony Dorsett

8. Gayle Sayers

9. Thurman Thomas

10. Marshall Faulk

Lots of other honorable mention for guys like F. Harris, E. Dickerson, J. Riggins, H. Walker, C. Martin, etc.

I should note that when I did my reply off the top of my head I purposely didnt read anyone else's list and now the only change I think I would make is add Marcus Allen above either Thurman or Marshall Faulk...somehow Allen slipped my mind but he is truly one of the top 10.

For the kids who never seen OJ, putting him any thing below #2 is pure ignorance...and I say that in a nice way. Criminal aside, any one over the age of 42 will agree with me, I'm sure. Payton, Sanders, Dickerson were great...but Brown and OJ were the greatest. They were powerful, can run as fast as anyone (anyody who doubts OJ's speed..he ran a 9.1 100 yard sprint) could cut on the dime, had great balance, and could push a pile as well as anyone. Payton is a smidge behind OJ. Sanders was exciting but he had a lot of negative runs. Then the list tails off. Neither is Emmitt or Dickerson close...they were fast through the hole and strong, but straight line runners. LT is the same type of back.

I give Earl Campbell a possible #4 all time back and Thurman is in top 12 to 15 pure running skill, but top 10 all-around.

Forget it. Don't even argue if you haven't seen OJ run...he was simply phenomenal.

He returned kicks early in his career, too...33 returns for 990 yards for an eye-popping 30 yards per return average.

Owns the NFL record for 200+ yards rushing performances - he did it six times.

Mike, I agree with you - a lot of people on here (heck, myself included as I'm only 36!) are pretty young and they dont really have a good frame of reference for the greatness of OJ or Jim Brown's total DOMINANCE, and with Jim it was more than simply a physical dominance, though that was a big part of it, he was also overpowering from a psychological standpoint and unlike any other back I've ever seen run or even heard about he could truly take over the game and in fact, he usually did.

One thing I am mildly surprised about after reading all the posts so far is that no one else mentioned Bo Jackson - I mean I know his career was abbreviated, but if you just take into account the things he did before he got hurt, he is the only person that ever even remotely reminded me of Jim Brown - he was as big as most of the linebackers and as fast or faster than most of the DB's - he could run over you, put a move on you or just drag you to the end zone on any play.

I think Sanders was good, but i think a lot of people are misled by his stats.

All too often, Sanders would go down for losses too many times in a game and was not a consistant runner. He would make up for his inconsistency by ripping off a long run thus boosting his stats. Am i saying he was bad? No. I'm saying that he was more of a highlight reel player than a solid every down back that could control the football game.

Sanders had to make someone miss in the backfield on almost every carry. If he ran behind Emmitt Smith's o-line where Emmitt didn't have to do anything but run straight for at least 6 yards before doing anything Sanders' numbers would have been beyond comprehension.

I totally disagree re: Barry being able to control a game, Barry made an entire offense by himself. He made Scott Mitchell a 4,000 yard passer because the ENTIRE defense was geared to stop him and he STILL got yards.

Unfortunately I never saw Jim Brown apart from NFL Films footgae and that never does the old players justice because they always look slow.

In no particular order I would say the 10 best ever to play the game are;

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Gale Sawyers

Eric Dickerson

OJ Simpson

Marshall Faulk

Barry Sanders

Emmitt Smith

Red Grange

Thurman Thomas

I think in another couple years we can safely add Tomlinson to this list if he doesnt get hurt...but who would you drop off??

Campbell, F Harris, T. Davis. R. Craig and M. Allen would not make the top 10 in my opinion.

Mike, I agree with you - a lot of people on here (heck, myself included as I'm only 36!) are pretty young and they dont really have a good frame of reference for the greatness of OJ or Jim Brown's total DOMINANCE, and with Jim it was more than simply a physical dominance, though that was a big part of it, he was also overpowering from a psychological standpoint and unlike any other back I've ever seen run or even heard about he could truly take over the game and in fact, he usually did.

One thing I am mildly surprised about after reading all the posts so far is that no one else mentioned Bo Jackson - I mean I know his career was abbreviated, but if you just take into account the things he did before he got hurt, he is the only person that ever even remotely reminded me of Jim Brown - he was as big as most of the linebackers and as fast or faster than most of the DB's - he could run over you, put a move on you or just drag you to the end zone on any play.

Yes and Gale Sayers was great too.. I missed him on my list. He was a Thurman type player but was smoother and faster.

My list (based on dominance in their era--not necessarily stats):

Jim Brown (didn't see him play--didn't have to--highlights and popularity say it all)

OJ (Just fukin unbelievable--more exciting than any pass play--3rd and 5--give the ball to OJ)

Walter Payton (smidge below OJ--fun to watch)

Gale Sayers (smooth, finesse, better version of Marshall)

Earl Campbell (WOW!! Massive dominating back impossible to tackle on first and second hit--style shortened career)

Barry Sanders (too many negative runs hurt Detroit at the wrong times)

Eric Dickerson (in his case stats count..but a very bland running style-more like a thoroughbred)

Marshall Faulk (better version of Thurman)

Bo Jackson (Earl Campbell with OJ speed--would be higher if played longer)

Emmitt Smith (low on the list because his play was elevated by massive, great line

Bo Jackson (Earl Campbell with OJ speed--would be higher if played longer)

As I recall, Earl Campbell ran a 10 flat 100 yard dash as a rookie.

When Jim Brown (before my time) talks about running backs, 2 guys he always compliments are Campbell and John Riggins.

Jackson had the body to be as good as Campbell, but I don't think he was as tough.

Jmo.

LT is great but can't be included into the top ten at least until he finishes his career. What if he goes Last Boy Scout on the field and kills someone. Obviously an exageration, but his career should be over before he is considered one of the greatest. Shawn Alexander broke the TD record 2 years ago and I dont see him on anyones list.

LT is great but can't be included into the top ten at least until he finishes his career. What if he goes Last Boy Scout on the field and kills someone. Obviously an exageration, but his career should be over before he is considered one of the greatest. Shawn Alexander broke the TD record 2 years ago and I dont see him on anyones list.

The guy was a phenomenal linebacker, but top ten running back? C'mon, now.

Greatest RBs? Here's 10, in no particular order:

Jim Brown (okay, he's first, so the rest are in no particular order)

Barry Sanders (awesome; wonder what he would've done w/ a line like Emmitt had)

Gayle Sayers (injuries cut his career short, but he still was awesome)

TMEP

Eric Dickerson (had great lines, which helped him play long enough to showcase his brilliance)

Red Grange (dominated pro ball like no RB before and only Jim Brown did afterward)

Walter Payton (Sweetness is a favorite because of his combination of speed, grace, and ruthless power)

Earl Campbell (Skoal Brotha was as powerful as any back to ever play; injuries and brutal style have taken quite a toll on him though)

Tony Dorsett (give him a slight edge over Thurm, but both are worthy)

Marion Motley (great runner, maybe even better pass protector)

The guy was a phenomenal linebacker, but top ten running back? C'mon, now.

Greatest RBs? Here's 10, in no particular order:

Jim Brown (okay, he's first, so the rest are in no particular order)

Barry Sanders (awesome; wonder what he would've done w/ a line like Emmitt had)

Gayle Sayers (injuries cut his career short, but he still was awesome)

TMEP

Eric Dickerson (had great lines, which helped him play long enough to showcase his brilliance)

Red Grange (dominated pro ball like no RB before and only Jim Brown did afterward)

Walter Payton (Sweetness is a favorite because of his combination of speed, grace, and ruthless power)

Earl Campbell (Skoal Brotha was as powerful as any back to ever play; injuries and brutal style have taken quite a toll on him though)

Tony Dorsett (give him a slight edge over Thurm, but both are worthy)

Marion Motley (great runner, maybe even better pass protector)

Who is TMEP?

Where is OJ?

I don't think one can include pre-Jim Brown era as greatest. They just weren't the physical beasts the players have been since.

Who is TMEP?

The murderous ex player.

Where is OJ?

Not where he belongs.

I don't think one can include pre-Jim Brown era as greatest. They just weren't the physical beasts the players have been since.

I knew this was the "Greatest RBs of the Jim Brown era and beyond" thread. I just knew it.