PFT says Krumrie whipped Branch

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 12:14 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 12:26 p.m. EDT, March 17, 2007

KRUMRIE BEATS UP BRANCH

Word trickling out of the Michigan Pro Day is that Chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie roughed up defensive tackle Alan Branch in one of Krumrie's one-on-one slap fights.

Per a league source, Branch looked winded before he even got to the patented Krumrie spanking machine. At one point during his session with Krumrie, Branch appeared to be ready to quit.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com corroborates this in his Pro Day updates: "Tim Krumrie worked Branch hard during the position drills, and the scouts there said Branch did not look like he was in very good shape."

Krumrie, better known to most fans as the guy who got Theismanned during Super Bowl XXIII, is a legend in league circles for the no-pads hand-fighting test, to which he subjects many of the linemen he is scouting.

"It's Gladiator stuff," said one league source.

For Branch, who is projected by many as a top-ten pick, the end result apparently was thumbs down.

If this is true, it's yet another sign that Branch is the Mike Williams of defensive linemen - great natural ability, no heart. He'll be there at 12 when the Bills pick, and I hope to God they don't take him.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 12:14 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 12:26 p.m. EDT, March 17, 2007

KRUMRIE BEATS UP BRANCH

Word trickling out of the Michigan Pro Day is that Chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie roughed up defensive tackle Alan Branch in one of Krumrie's one-on-one slap fights.

Per a league source, Branch looked winded before he even got to the patented Krumrie spanking machine. At one point during his session with Krumrie, Branch appeared to be ready to quit.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com corroborates this in his Pro Day updates: "Tim Krumrie worked Branch hard during the position drills, and the scouts there said Branch did not look like he was in very good shape."

Krumrie, better known to most fans as the guy who got Theismanned during Super Bowl XXIII, is a legend in league circles for the no-pads hand-fighting test, to which he subjects many of the linemen he is scouting.

"It's Gladiator stuff," said one league source.

For Branch, who is projected by many as a top-ten pick, the end result apparently was thumbs down.

If this is true, it's yet another sign that Branch is the Mike Williams of defensive linemen - great natural ability, no heart. He'll be there at 12 when the Bills pick, and I hope to God they don't take him.

This was dicussed a few days back - with the end result being that the whole wrestlemania slapfight is not really a good indicator of success. As you may remember, the guy who performed the best at this was our own Timmy Anderson ... it may test endurance but I don't think it factors key features like explosion and foot speed. Branch may not be in the best shape but if he has the other characteristics, he may yet be worth a shot at number 12.

This was dicussed a few days back - with the end result being that the whole wrestlemania slapfight is not really a good indicator of success. As you may remember, the guy who performed the best at this was our own Timmy Anderson ... it may test endurance but I don't think it factors key features like explosion and foot speed. Branch may not be in the best shape but if he has the other characteristics, he may yet be worth a shot at number 12.

Oh I agree that it's not a good measure of success, but the fact that the guy wanted to quit (if true) is yet another sign that he lacks motivation. I watched every single Michigan game this year - Branch never took over a game that I saw. He has Richard Seymour-like natural ability, but no heart. I'm telling you, he'll be a bust.

Oh I agree that it's not a good measure of success, but the fact that the guy wanted to quit (if true) is yet another sign that he lacks motivation. I watched every single Michigan game this year - Branch never took over a game that I saw. He has Richard Seymour-like natural ability, but no heart. I'm telling you, he'll be a bust.

I've heard he was a "dominant tackle" comments from Michigan alum as well though he didn't stand out in the two games I saw. I'm assuming our scouts will ferret out the whole story. The fact that he seems to have been out of shape at his pro day and comments like yours does give one pause. To be fair, though, even Bruce Smith took a year or 2 to get himself in shape - sometimes the motivation of having a job can do wonders.

I've heard he was a "dominant tackle" comments from Michigan alum as well though he didn't stand out in the two games I saw. I'm assuming our scouts will ferret out the whole story. The fact that he seems to have been out of shape at his pro day and comments like yours does give one pause. To be fair, though, even Bruce Smith took a year or 2 to get himself in shape - sometimes the motivation of having a job can do wonders.

or not-

if you can't get motivated to get in shape for a few weeks while teams ponder how much money they will throw at you, then there is no hope that an overpaid rookie will out-perform expectations.

Too much downside with Branch - Bills will play it safe with their 1st round pick.

What if the guy drop kicks Krumrie in the nuts, stomps on his face , then just plummels the sh-- out of his face until it resembles hamburger. Would that pass Krumrie's test ?

What if the guy drop kicks Krumrie in the nuts, stomps on his face , then just plummels the sh-- out of his face until it resembles hamburger. Would that pass Krumrie's test ?

Dunno. But, if it happened, that would be funny, too.

Branch's reactions to the Krumries wrestlemania test is actually a good one for someone considering Branch. Not because the test itself is anything more than the equivalent of juvenile sophomoric idiocy but because it will be interesting to see if he has an adult reaction to this stupidity or whether he makes excuses which buys into this that it is come kind of real test of football skills or even character.

A GM needs to also gauge his own team and how they react to new players and rookies. If your team has an us against them and "we are family type attitude as evidenced most effectively by the Pats then one can take in a player who reacts like an adult to coming out on the short end of the Krumrie mill and now that the stupidity of juvenile standards have been demonstrated to him by the bad press from this episode, your team can rebuild this talented player into a good football player.

However, if indications are that Branch reacts to being beaten up by over-reacting or pouting then avoid him. If a GM sees his own team leadership as being composed of a lot of "men" who would take a wounded or chastened player as Branch probably is and glory in taunting him some more rather than building him into a better player and person, then your team may not be the right situation for a Branch even if he has more adult reaction to this juvenalia.

Sounds like a great "cover 2" DT to me. Now if we can only get his weight down to 290 he'd be perfect.

Why are so many people looking at Branch as a potential Bill? As I understand it he is a total non fit for the Tampa 2.....he is this years equivalent of N'Gata. Is my assessment of him incorrect? Does he have the initial burst & pass rushing hustle required from our DTs?

Why are so many people looking at Branch as a potential Bill? As I understand it he is a total non fit for the Tampa 2.....he is this years equivalent of N'Gata. Is my assessment of him incorrect? Does he have the initial burst & pass rushing hustle required from our DTs?

Hopefully you caught that I was being sarcastic in my post.

Don't be surprised if the Bills pass on Branch even if he is there at #12. Recall that Marv and crew passed on Ngata last year because they did not want to draft a 2-down DT that early. There were also whispers of him taking too many downs off. My guess is that the same principle may apply here.