About DE's:

Astrobot

" 'The 280- or 290-pound end is disappearing,'acknowledged Buffalo Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar. 'You look at the ends coming into the league now, and they all kind of look like basketball players, you know? [There's] not a lot of bulk out there.'

Consider the most highly regarded ends in the 2007 draft class: The average height and weight of the 12 ends cited most often by league scouts to ESPN.com as worthy of being taken in the first two rounds is 6-4 1/8 and 268.3 pounds, according to measurements recorded at the combine. Seven of the 12 are at least 6-foot-4 and four of those are 6-foot-5 or taller. At the same time, six weigh less than 270 pounds and only two, Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas and Nebraska's Adam Carriker weigh more than 285 pounds. "

Link

FACTOIDS:

---For the record, DE Schobel is 262, Kelsay is 275, and Denney is 275.

---We haven't drafted a DE in 4 years.

---Schobel is the only drafted Bills player left from the class of 2001.

---Our DE's were all drafted in the 2nd Round (2003: Pick 16 Chris Kelsay, 2002: Pick 29 Ryan Denney, 2001: Pick 15 Aaron Schobel). Marcellus Wiley was also a Round 2 pick (1997). Sean Moran was a 4th Rounder in 1996. The only other DE in the last 11 years was Bryce Fisher as 7th Rounder in 1999.

---Bruce Smith was 265.

---The DE that matches Schobel the closest is either Gaines Adams (who we won't be taking) or Daniel Bazuin of Central Michigan, same height and 4 lbs. heavier.

---The 14th Ranked Bazuin is 2nd fastest of the DE's who have run the 40. He'd be a mid-3rd round pick.

---Gaines Adams is the lightest of the Top 4 DE's at 258, but is the fastest of the Top 13 at 4.67.

---Schobel ran a 4.78 at his combine.

---Of the Top 13, Only Jarvis Moss is lighter (250).

---Schobel's Ourlads Scouting Report wasn't very optimistic about him: "Schobel is a four-year starter who is not real muscular and lacks some power in his overall game. He is a very high energy competitor and is quick at the snap, but is not explosive on contact..."

Astro

" 'The 280- or 290-pound end is disappearing,'acknowledged Buffalo Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar. 'You look at the ends coming into the league now, and they all kind of look like basketball players, you know? [There's] not a lot of bulk out there.'

Consider the most highly regarded ends in the 2007 draft class: The average height and weight of the 12 ends cited most often by league scouts to ESPN.com as worthy of being taken in the first two rounds is 6-4 1/8 and 268.3 pounds, according to measurements recorded at the combine. Seven of the 12 are at least 6-foot-4 and four of those are 6-foot-5 or taller. At the same time, six weigh less than 270 pounds and only two, Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas and Nebraska's Adam Carriker weigh more than 285 pounds. "

Link

FACTOIDS:

---Our DE's were all drafted in the 2nd Round (2003: Pick 16 Chris Kelsay, 2002: Pick 29 Ryan Denney, 2001: Pick 15 Aaron Schobel). Marcellus Wiley was also a Round 2 pick (1997). Sean Moran was a 4th Rounder in 1996. The only other DE in the last 11 years was Bryce Fisher as 7th Rounder in 1999.

---Bruce Smith was 265.

---The DE that matches Schobel the closest is either Gaines Adams (who we won't be taking) or Daniel Bazuin of Central Michigan, same height and 4 lbs. heavier.

---The 14th Ranked Bazuin is 2nd fastest of the DE's who have run the 40. He'd be a mid-3rd round pick.

---Gaines Adams is the lightest of the Top 4 DE's at 258, but is the fastest of the Top 13 at 4.67.

---Schobel ran a 4.78 at his combine.

---Of the Top 13, Only Jarvis Moss is lighter (250).

---Schobel's Ourlads Scouting Report wasn't very optimistic about him: "Schobel is a four-year starter who is not real muscular and lacks some power in his overall game. He is a very high energy competitor and is quick at the snap, but is not explosive on contact..."

Astro

I believe Bruce's playing wt. was 290.

Haven't we always had a great line of Defensive End's though, Ive never been worried about what we've always had at DE or any position on Defense our Defense has been pretty solid for years. Offense is our only problem, we've never had a good offensive line even when jim kelly was playing, we havent had a solid Tight End Since Riemersma, and we don't have a long tendered running back since thurman. WR has always been solid. I think JP Losman is going to be our guy for years though, I think he will accomplish what Jim Kelly never did and win a championship for us.

Haven't we always had a great line of Defensive End's though, Ive never been worried about what we've always had at DE or any position on Defense our Defense has been pretty solid for years. Offense is our only problem, we've never had a good offensive line even when jim kelly was playing, we havent had a solid Tight End Since Riemersma, and we don't have a long tendered running back since thurman. WR has always been solid. I think JP Losman is going to be our guy for years though, I think he will accomplish what Jim Kelly never did and win a championship for us.

I thought our offensive line was good during the SB runs, and then tailed off. But you are right, it was nice to have a defense full of stars and playmakers at all positions. Those were the days....

The trends here (DE size) are the result of rules changes that have made the forward pass the weapon of choice of pro coaches. So, as a result, teams must rush the passer and stack QB's like cord wood!! Smaller, quicker athletes, create all sorts of havoc on offensive lines. If you were Jason Peters, and Dwight Freeney was the next opponent, wouldn't you freak out worrying about getting beat!! Marv Levy states that it's run and stop the run, however, the pass is the winning portion of the equation in todays game to me....

Slight correction here. Riemersma was a "possession" receiver who had bad hands. He couldn't block at all, and he was slow.

He absolutely sucked, and is probably the most over-rated Buffalo Bill I have ever seen.

:thumbsup:

RearSmegma couldn't catch a cold. He had his moments early in his stint with the Bills, IIRC. But, he soon became a BUM and cost us, many many times.

I was worried about Royal last year as he dropped several wide open easy catches. He seemed to get better as the year went on. I'll give him another chance.

And, at the moment, they'rethe only solid players on the team :thumbsup:

You don't think much of Evans, Moorman, Peters...

You don't think much of the special teams...

well - your recollection is faulty.

Bruce played at 265-270 but was very strong and played with good leverage.

I'm pretty sure earlier in his career he was in the 280's. Later it does look like he was around 265-270.

I'm pretty sure earlier in his career he was in the 280's. Later it does look like he was around 265-270.

With my incredibly faulty memory it seems Bruce was around 290 early on. I vaguely recollect he had the flu and lost a bunch of weight and then played around the 275 range. Probably completely incorrect though.

FACTOIDS:

---Bruce Smith was 265.

The Great 2000 DE draft is well forgotten. :thumbsup:

Flowers Rd 1 pick 26...was a bulked up DE from 240 to the 260 range.

Corey Moore (LB...but Outland Trophy as DE?) Rd 3

Larsen...cough, cough, but a 7th and moved inside, or was an inside...can't remember.

...sorry for this addition.

FACTOIDS:

---Bruce Smith was 265.

The Great 2000 DE draft is well forgotten. :thumbsup:

Flowers Rd 1 pick 26...was a bulked up DE from 240 to the 260 range.

Corey Moore (LB...but Outland Trophy as DE?) Rd 3

Larsen...cough, cough, but a 7th and moved inside, or was an inside...can't remember.

...sorry for this addition.

So Bruce was 265 or so when he played?. Cool, I believe you. Do you remember if he was heavier and lost weight due to the flu, or is that something else I got wrong?

bruce was 300+ his first year 285 the next lost another 10 and played at 275 for 4 or 5 years then trimed down another 5 or 10 his last couple years with the Bills .

Link

Astro

Their prototype for the position now is this guy.

For years the Bills listed Bruce at 273, I recall from my old "Shout" subscription days, yet I vividly recall it being stated that as the season wore on, he actually slid under 260 at times. Bruce started out as a 300 lb fat slob as a rookie, but found out early that he was more the player he wanted to be once he got in shape. Physically, he took care of himself too. He was one player who clearly didn't need pre-season tuneups, nor did he partake in many either.