Another Aggressive move by New England

I agree Buffalo51, the Stallworth signing is not the end of the world. A lot can happen between now and Week 1. That said, it doesn't appear that Buffalo will sign an experienced a quality free agent in this free agent signing period. Meanwhile, NE and the NYJ (to a lesser extent) are making their teams better as we sit on our hands. And those teams made the playoffs this season.

The draft is not going to provide all the answers to our problems, at least not this season. Usually only Round 1 and 2 picks are instant starters and not at a high level. You can say all you want about Whitner, his rookie year will not be his best. At least I hope not. If we plug in a few more rookies it's not an improvement.

Marv has talked about being able to run the ball and stopping the run. We've made no improvements on the defensive side of the ball and continue to rely on the same players minus LFB and NC to play tough defense. Just expecting Tripplett, K. Williams, and McCargo to have better seasons is a pipe dream. They couldn't do it last year, why will they do it this year?

Buffalo made improvements along the OL and I'm glad to see they've put their money where their mouth is. But I think with as many glaring weaknesses in the defense we're not in a position to be a playoff team from the AFC.

Welcome to the second year of rebuilding. To think otherwise is not rational.

And one more thing-which other NFL teams are using this cash to the cap philosophy? None of them. They're trying to win this year. No other team in the NFL has ever used the term,"Cash to the Cap."

Finally someone that understands. Don't get me wrong, I love our team, and feel Marv is doing a great job, but I have to say, its an every year thing that we're "re-building". Hopefully, I'm worng and it comes sooner then later.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's basically a one year deal.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

Stallworth deal

consider me unimpressed

Me too. This is a minor signing compared to the splash they were supposed to make with Moss.

Don't get me wrong. He'll help them and they will, once again, be the class of the division.

Hate to say it, but that's actually even smarter. He's a risk. If he implodes, or they find out he's not worth the hassle, they are not stuck. If he proves to be good, they have him locked up if they want him, to a deal that is not extravagant.

If they want to keep him past the 07 season, they're gonna need to rework the deal.

No way the Patriots take an $11 million cap hit for a WR.

Once again this put us behind the game. They are going to give the division a serious run once again. Here we sit dead in the water, waiting to rebuild our franchise. We better say screw that cap to cash BS. Otherwise we'll never compete in this division.

Hi! Welcome to the Board! Please go back to not posting! Thanks!

I'd feel a lot better about this team if we made another signing of a player who's got NFL experience and talent that isn't over 30. There are some defensive players still available, but it's wishful thinking to believe Buffalo will be better in 2007 with the current team and any whomever they select in the draft.

Putting faith into rookies and 2nd year guys isn't something I'm too comfortable with. Should Spikes get released for either salary or performance reasons, who will step in and play there? Crowell and Ellison are the only options at LB unless you're thinking Coy Wire will suddenly capable at LB. If you go after a LB in the draft with a round 1 or 2 pick that guy is going to be counted on to start. A very sobering thought.

There are positions that won't be improved much in the draft. That leaves free agency. With a more limited budget than other NFL teams, I'm not convinced we'll be better simply because Marv is the GM.

I'd like to hear options that Bills fans think we'll take to address our positions of need.

Making a smart comment or downplaying an opinion that doesn't look at things with rose colored glasses because it's somewhat negative is not constructive.

Oh Noooooooo!!, Dante Stallworth, Auntie Em!, Auntie Em!, I'm frightened!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hammy is a huge question with this guy. Injury will be a huge factor.

I take it Lee Evans along with Peerless Price, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parrish make you comfortable with a QB with maybe one and a half seasons as a starter? To each his own.

I take it Lee Evans along with Peerless Price, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parrish make you comfortable with a QB with maybe one and a half seasons as a starter? To each his own.

Actually it does. Are you now suggesting that QB and WR are positions of need for the Bills?

See that's half the problem with so many of these botard threads. People make up problems that don't exist. We're set at WR and QB. We're now set at OL. We're not nearly as bad at CB as most want to protest. Everyone says draft Hall or some other guy in the first round to replace Nate. Why? That's why they drafted Youbouty last year. Just because you haven't seen enough of him doesn't mean the coaches haven't. Take a second year player that's familiar with our team and system or a rookie - I think the answer is obvious. RB is a position of unkown at this time, again for you. I'm sure the coaches have an idea of who'll be starting and they wouldn't have let McGehee go without some sort of a plan. Same with Fletcher and th LB position. We're probably only 1 player away from a decent Dline.

I know none of this makes you or some people happy and comfortable, but its funny how nothing Ralph, Marv or the coaches do makes some feel happy. Last season we were absolutely doomed. We'd be lucky to get 2 wins was the consensus of so many. Now, we're still doomed, continuallly rebuilding because we let our great run stuffer CB go. Funny ain't it.

Signing free agents left and right is not the way to assure a good team. Most of the time it does not work. Tod Donohoe made a big splash every off season signing FA talent and making GM moves that got the reporters all excited. And nothing came of it.

I like the new management's approach; they are not signing people just to be signing people. Let's see what happens.

Actually it does. Are you now suggesting that QB and WR are positions of need for the Bills?

See that's half the problem with so many of these botard threads. People make up problems that don't exist. We're set at WR and QB. We're now set at OL. We're not nearly as bad at CB as most want to protest. Everyone says draft Hall or some other guy in the first round to replace Nate. Why? That's why they drafted Youbouty last year. Just because you haven't seen enough of him doesn't mean the coaches haven't. Take a second year player that's familiar with our team and system or a rookie - I think the answer is obvious. RB is a position of unkown at this time, again for you. I'm sure the coaches have an idea of who'll be starting and they wouldn't have let McGehee go without some sort of a plan. Same with Fletcher and th LB position. We're probably only 1 player away from a decent Dline.

I know none of this makes you or some people happy and comfortable, but its funny how nothing Ralph, Marv or the coaches do makes some feel happy. Last season we were absolutely doomed. We'd be lucky to get 2 wins was the consensus of so many. Now, we're still doomed, continuallly rebuilding because we let our great run stuffer CB go. Funny ain't it.

We'll I find it funny we're saying who cares about Stallworth because he's not a sure thing and we accept that JP is a a sure thing. He improved tremendously last year, but it's one season. Let's not draw too many conclusions from one year. Sure, Fairchild may open it up more next year with a better line, but when you start assuming Stallworth won't be much of an impact for various reasons, you should use the same reasoning for Buffalo. I saw a lot of underthrown balls last season, both in person and on television. Regardless, JP's the starter and much is still expected from him. No need for huge panic.

I was at the GB game that started the resurgence of the team. Losman threw for 82 yards. The next week against Indy produced 102. He did play well against Houston, but still is not a sure thing, though he's not going to be a bust. I don't think QB is an area of need on this team, but I'm using it to illustrate the absurdity of not keeping pace with the Joneses in the AFC East. You can stick your head in the sand and just ignore NE and NYJ, but that's not a rational response. They're getting better, we're sitting back and watching. But who knows, maybe they move again in free agency, though it's been said they'd bring in 4-5 free agents and we've already signed 3.

WR has it's advantages and disadvantages. Evans is surely a #1 WR. Parrish, Reed, and Price are the other options at this point. Generally, they're similar players. Undersized WR, but all in all, I don't see Buffalo getting another starter grade guy here because they re-signed Reed and Price to bigger deals last season. WR is not a priority.

I beg to disagree with the idea the CB position is better than we think. We've got 3 CB's on the roster right now. One who started and didn't play well (McGee) one who is a former 3rd rounder and dressed for 1 game at CB last year(Youboty) and another who is an undersized RFA (Jabari Greer) That doesn't make me too comfortable. That's not much depth. Sure, Jason David and Nick Harper are out there, and they may well sign someone, but their inactivity a week after the beginning of free agency is a little perplexing. If the coaches were so convinced with Youboty, they'd have dressed him for games instead of relegating him to the press box. Guys who can contribute dress, not the other way around.

LB is not close to providing any depth. Crowell is the best of the bunch, Ellison may be the starter after some time starting last season, and Wire is a converted S after playing the position in college. Slim pickings there. Spikes in all probability will be cut.

I'm in complete agreement about letting Fletcher and Nate go. They were not consistent with the avenue this team was taking for the long term for a host of reasons. But I'd like to see someone with NFL experience and decent talent there to replace them. Putting rookies and seldom-played 2nd year guys in there doesn't make me feel good about the defense next season.

I'm not writing off the 2007 season, but I need to see some experienced NFL guys in here before I'm willing to hand the jobs at CB, LB, DT, and RB to rookies and less experienced players. It ain't a doomed season fella, but this draft isn't going to provide all the solutions some would have you think. Free Agency has to give us something to go on. And guys are coming off the board quicker than some might think.