My theory on our RB situation

Rhodes is off the board now, haven't heard much about our interest in Dillon. This leads me to believe that Buffalo will go and get a RB first round...whether that means moving up to get AD, or sit and get Marshawn. I have a pretty good feeling that wherever we draft in the first round we will be taking a back.

Thoughts

Rhodes is off the board now, haven't heard much about our interest in Dillon. This leads me to believe that Buffalo will go and get a RB first round...whether that means moving up to get AD, or sit and get Marshawn. I have a pretty good feeling that wherever we draft in the first round we will be taking a back.

Thoughts

You probably hope they draft Patrick Willis so your screen name doesn't have to be changed.

I would be cool with Marv trading up to get Peterson. I do not watch a ton of college football so my opinions are generally based on a collaberative ruling and what I read about a draft prospect. That being said it sounds like Lynch would not be a bad pick at #12. The general consensus among all the "draft experts" is that he is worth a mid 1st round pick and they all seem to say he is the 2nd best back coming out this year by a large margine. Crowell can replace Fletcher, Youboty can replace Clements, Ellison can fit in at Weak Side LB, but we have nobody to start at RB. I think I will be disappointed if the Bills get out of the 1st 2 rounds without a RB with a legit chance to start.

I wouldn't. Good lesser-known RBs from smaller low profile schools pop up all the time in later rounds who end up being good NFL running backs.

Look at the RBs that have been getting the free agency/trade attention: Dominic Rhodes (undrafted out of Miwestern State), Ruben Droughns (3rd round by Det), Chris Brown (3rd rnd byTenn), Michael Turner (5th rnd by SD out of Northern Illinois).

Other current solid backs from later rounds: Marion Barber III (4th rnd by Dallas) , Mike Bell (Denver - undrafted), Rudi Johnson (4th rnd by Cincy) Chester Taylor (6th round by Balt out of Toledo).

When you consider these players and then the recent 1st rounders that didn't pan out like Willie Green, JJ Arrington and Ron Dayne, it shows that picking RBs can be a crapshoot.

You probably hope they draft Patrick Willis so your screen name doesn't have to be changed.

I would be cool with Marv trading up to get Peterson. I do not watch a ton of college football so my opinions are generally based on a collaberative ruling and what I read about a draft prospect. That being said it sounds like Lynch would not be a bad pick at #12. The general consensus among all the "draft experts" is that he is worth a mid 1st round pick and they all seem to say he is the 2nd best back coming out this year by a large margine. Crowell can replace Fletcher, Youboty can replace Clements, Ellison can fit in at Weak Side LB, but we have nobody to start at RB. I think I will be disappointed if the Bills get out of the 1st 2 rounds without a RB with a legit chance to start.

Thoughts

If they go after AD (which I doubt) or some other RB in the first round that means they won't be going w/ the 2-back system. which again makes me question the mcgahee trade.

i hope they get willis and help the defense at this point. if the line improvements are real there are many backs that can perform in the system

• Draft a back in the 2nd or 3rd round. (i.e., keep the 1st round pick for an elite defensive player ... best available defensive player at pick #12 that fits our needs)
  • Re-sign Anthony Thomas as the primary back-up
  • Shaud Williams is re-signed as an insurance back-up and for special situations
  • Bring in a veteran back to split the time with the rookie RB. Avoid spending too much on this signing. The challenge though is that pickings are now slim
    *I'm not sure that this should be Dillon. He might be too much of a journeyman. (Fit is another issue)
    *Consider waiting until August to pick up a veteran back cut by another team during training camp.
    *Alternate A-Train with the veteran back brought in, where appropriate.

My thoughts are we go mlb in the first (Willis) and we might even have to draft up to get him. If he's not where we want him or he's already gone then we go corner in the first. Then we select a rb in the early or mid second. Irons, Leonard, Bush, Hunt or Pittman.

After round one would you rather have:

RB: Lynch - A-Train

LB: Ellison-Crowell-Spikes

CB: Youboty-McGee

or

RB: A-Train - TBD

LB: Crowell-Willis-Spikes

or

CB: Revis-McGee

The first option is growing on me, especially with three more day one picks to follow to get LB and CB (and being a big fan that year 2 Youboty has a great chance of being better than a rookie alternative). I think projections of what we can get with our second pick (especially if we use a third to trade up) will influence things...if we see a decent LB or CB available it becomes easier to pick Lynch. If we see a RB we like likely available we can go with Revis or Willis (whoever is higher on our chart).

After round one would you rather have:

RB: Lynch - A-Train

or

LB: Crowell-Willis-Spikes

or

CB: Revis-McGee

The first option is growing on me, especially with three more day one picks to follow to get LB and CB (and being a big fan that year 2 Youboty has a great chance of being better than a rookie alternative). I think projections of what we can get with our second pick (especially if we use a third to trade up) will influence things...if we see a decent LB or CB available it becomes easier to pick Lynch. If we see a RB we like likely available we can go with Revis or Willis (whoever is higher on our chart).

I like this one the best. I feel as though that there isn't a RB that is good enough to take at 12. I think we draft D with our fisrt 3 picks, then we take a RB at the end of day 1 with the Ravens pick that we acquired for MaGahee. Our D has been neglected this offseason and if I were to follow a pattern, I would say that we are filling in the holes on our offense via FA, and we are drafting for the future with possibly one of the youngest fastest Defense's in th whole league.

I like this one the best. I feel as though that there isn't a RB that is good enough to take at 12. I think we draft D with our fisrt 3 picks, then we take a RB at the end of day 1 with the Ravens pick that we acquired for MaGahee. Our D has been neglected this offseason and if I were to follow a pattern, I would say that we are filling in the holes on our offense via FA, and we are drafting for the future with possibly one of the youngest fastest Defense's in th whole league.

I agree - Door Number Two, Bob. The one aspect that worries me in this scenario is the last one. I'm probably more sold on Yabouty than McGee as our #1 corner. I know, I know - Yabouty has played for three snaps or so (?). But I have nightmares of watching McGee getting torched/run over/outmuscled/toyed with against DETROIT! Detroit, for God's sake. The upshot is that I hope we pick up the best CB available with one of the 3rd rounders. At this point, I'm pretty much sold on Willis.

Carricker is pretty interesting as well, but don't know what to give up to get to him.

I wouldn't. Good lesser-known RBs from smaller low profile schools pop up all the time in later rounds who end up being good NFL running backs.

Look at the RBs that have been getting the free agency/trade attention: Dominic Rhodes (undrafted out of Miwestern State), Ruben Droughns (3rd round by Det), Chris Brown (3rd rnd byTenn), Michael Turner (5th rnd by SD out of Northern Illinois).

Other current solid backs from later rounds: Marion Barber III (4th rnd by Dallas) , Mike Bell (Denver - undrafted), Rudi Johnson (4th rnd by Cincy) Chester Taylor (6th round by Balt out of Toledo).

When you consider these players and then the recent 1st rounders that didn't pan out like Willie Green, JJ Arrington and Ron Dayne, it shows that picking RBs can be a crapshoot.

When talking about the draft I always see people bring up "look who was found in this round or that round" but if you put up how many players don't pan out that are drafted in the later rounds and look at it as a percentage it is probably not good. RB is too important of a position for how this team plays offense to try and "get lucky with a draft day steal".

When talking about the draft I always see people bring up "look who was found in this round or that round" but if you put up how many players don't pan out that are drafted in the later rounds and look at it as a percentage it is probably not good. RB is too important of a position for how this team plays offense to try and "get lucky with a draft day steal".

Here here! Yes , why not show an option like this

Lynch-A thomas

Siler-Crowell-Spikes

McGee-Youboty

Basically, you can get a linebacker in the 2nd (not necessarily Siler). It is an option. I really don't see why a 2nd rd running back is any less of a risk than a 2nd rd linebacker. Plus there are more starting linebackers than running backs.

I too am on the McCargo and Youboty bandwagon. These are both guys who were very highly thought of coming out, and their lack of contribution last year was not a product of sucking. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect both to be starters, and if so that puts LB and RB as our two biggest areas to address. I am always a draft the best talent not the need guy, so if Willis would be a reach, we don't like Lynch, and Peterson is long gone, I'm fine taking a better player at another position, but I go into this thinking about getting better at LB and RB first.

I expect Levy to go LB,DT in the 1st 2 rounds. If Willis is there with our first pick I think we take him unless Branch is still on the board. If we get Willis then we go for Justin Harrell from Tennessee or Tank Tyler from N.C. State. If we take Branch first then we go after David Harris or Brandon Siler in the 2nd. In the 3rd is when we pick our running back for the future. One of these guys should still be there with our first 3rd. Tony Hunt, Kenny Irons, Michael Bush. To secure the guy Levy wanted I wouldn't be surprised if he traded both 3rds for another 2nd.

Draft A:

1st: Patrick Willis

2nd: Justin Harrell

3rd: Kenny Irons

1st: Alan Branch

2nd: David Harris

2nd: (trading both 3rds) Tony Hunt

I would be happy with either draft.

Draft A:

I particularly like Draft A! I just hope we can keep both 3rds, throw a CB in there, and I'd have a football woody on 4/28 :rolleyes:

I expect Levy to go LB,DT in the 1st 2 rounds. If Willis is there with our first pick I think we take him unless Branch is still on the board. If we get Willis then we go for Justin Harrell from Tennessee or Tank Tyler from N.C. State. If we take Branch first then we go after David Harris or Brandon Siler in the 2nd. In the 3rd is when we pick our running back for the future. One of these guys should still be there with our first 3rd. Tony Hunt, Kenny Irons, Michael Bush. To secure the guy Levy wanted I wouldn't be surprised if he traded both 3rds for another 2nd.

Draft A:

Draft A would be my preference. I am just not a fan of Harris, Branch or CB Hall. I don't know why that is. I don't dislike Michigan but just don't want them on our roster.