SD's Turner - IF the cost is a second and a third round pick, do y

I think I would. The Bills still have the first round and either theirs or the Ravens 3rd round pick, to fill their other needs in the first day. He's young, hungry, knows the NFL....if the Bills can somehow pull this off, and essentially trade McGahee and a second round pick for turner, a 3rd and a 7th - that's not too bad.

I tried to work this out myself as well over the past 24 hours and don't think I could bring myself to do it.

(on a similar note...what if A. Peterson is there at pick 8...do we trade one of our other first day picks to move up and grab him?)

I come to the same answer on both questions:

The Bills need 4 positons on day 1 (in order) - CB, LB, RB, DT - we now have 4 picks on day 1 to get that done. But if we trade a pick to fill one of those spots then we have to face not filling one of those positions until day 2. What other need on the defense do you choose to ignore to get this done?

About the only way I see doing this is if we could swing a trade that involves a pick this year and one next year. I think if we keep our picks this year (for the most part), we won't have as many holes next year and will be in really good shape.

So I would consider trading my first this year and my second next year for Turner (I know...it sounds crazy, but I might do it if I have a high enough grade on him).

This would leave me my second and two thirds this year to still get CB, LB, DT and the first round pick would essentially be Turner.

Next year I would regret losing my 2nd rounder but at least I have an extra third now from the Ravens to make up for it.

Why are we going to give up so much for a backup runnig back that spells the best RB in the NFL not to mention they have the best tight end also. get off the Turner wagon. I would be sick if we traded away 2 picks that could help our D for an unproven back who is way overhyped.

For more than a single 3rd round pick, I'd probably pass. Maybe he's worth more than that, but I'm not too keen on making major investments in backup RBs.

I have to agree. Lamont Jordan was the last backup rb that was supposed to be unreal. They are backups for a reason, granted he is backing up probably the best rb to ever play the game.

For more than a single 3rd round pick, I'd probably pass. Maybe he's worth more than that, but I'm not too keen on making major investments in backup RBs.

thurman thomas used to back up barry sanders at oklahoma state. whats the difference? u grade a player based on his production. turner rushed for over 600 yds this past season and hes the backup rb . those stats alone tell u that he is a starter in this league . when he gets his chance he will be a 1400yds per season back . i live in san diego so ive seen him play . hes the real deal.

thurman thomas used to back up barry sanders at oklahoma state. whats the difference? u grade a player based on his production. turner rushed for over 600 yds this past season and hes the backup rb . those stats alone tell u that he is a starter in this league . when he gets his chance he will be a 1400yds per season back . i live in san diego so ive seen him play . hes the real deal.

Turner is a good RB, and has the potential to be a 1300-1500 yard per year back...But there are some things to consider when thinking of the offer sheet...

A first and third is an awfully steep price for someone who may or may not pan out. Being a Jets fan also, I can tell you that I thought LaMont Jordan would be a monster in Oakland after he left. He was a superb runner, and had that 2nd level he kicked it into. But he went from a team with a great veteran O-Line to a team with an inexperienced not so good O-Line. He has done nothing.

Same situation with Turner...He looks great right now. He is backing up the leagues best RB in Tomlinson (Like Jordan did with Martin), and he is running behind an O-line that is top 3 in the league, and makes a strong argument for THE BEST o-line in the NFL. If he comes to Buffalo, he will be on a young team with an improving, but not yet proven, offensive line. I know the aquisitions we got at Guard and Tackle are supposed to be great, and they will help, but our line is not San Diego's.

You would get the same production out of Michael Turner in Buffalo that you would out of a Michael Bush or a Marshawn Lynch.

Keep the draft picks. We can fill our other holes with better position players and look at a Bush or Hunt or Irons in the middle rounds.

Actually it was Thurman who started at Oklohama State, Barry was the backup.

the guy is backing up arguably the gr8test back of all time in LT. give the guy a break.

I'll give him a break but I damn sure wouldn't give up a 2nd and 3rd for him! Maybe a 3rd but nothing more. As Lamont Jordan was backing up arguably one of the best in Curtis Martin for years. He finally had his chance to start with the Raiders and while he did good his first year he struggled his second and now sees his team just signed Domonic Rhodes.

Turner is a good RB, and has the potential to be a 1300-1500 yard per year back...But there are some things to consider when thinking of the offer sheet...

A first and third is an awfully steep price for someone who may or may not pan out. Being a Jets fan also, I can tell you that I thought LaMont Jordan would be a monster in Oakland after he left. He was a superb runner, and had that 2nd level he kicked it into. But he went from a team with a great veteran O-Line to a team with an inexperienced not so good O-Line. He has done nothing.

Same situation with Turner...He looks great right now. He is backing up the leagues best RB in Tomlinson (Like Jordan did with Martin), and he is running behind an O-line that is top 3 in the league, and makes a strong argument for THE BEST o-line in the NFL. If he comes to Buffalo, he will be on a young team with an improving, but not yet proven, offensive line. I know the aquisitions we got at Guard and Tackle are supposed to be great, and they will help, but our line is not San Diego's.

You would get the same production out of Michael Turner in Buffalo that you would out of a Michael Bush or a Marshawn Lynch.

Keep the draft picks. We can fill our other holes with better position players and look at a Bush or Hunt or Irons in the middle rounds.

A very well thought out thread and agree with much of everything except the part of Turner getting 1300-1500 yards. Though the thing I most fully agree with is the last sentence but don't count me among the Bush supporters.

Actually it was Thurman who started at Oklohama State, Barry was the backup.

I'll give him a break but I damn sure wouldn't give up a 2nd and 3rd for him! Maybe a 3rd but nothing more. As Lamont Jordan was backing up arguably one of the best in Curtis Martin for years. He finally had his chance to start with the Raiders and while he did good his first year he struggled his second and now sees his team just signed Domonic Rhodes.

i wouldnt give up a second and third for him but i would give up 2 threes

His stats really don't tell me anything. Consider that Kenneth Davis rushed for over 600 yards in both 1991 and 1992.

I'll willingly concede that he could be an excellent RB who just needs a chance to start. However, I wonder just how much he benefits from Tomlinson and the Chargers OL kicking the crap out of the opposing defense on 400 plays a season.