Baltimore pulled off a coup in acquiring McGahee. Pardon???

So the Bills are to blame for McGahee's performance. He's out of Buffalo so he's very happy now and will have something to prove. Too much musical chairs with the offensive line. Yada yada yada.

And what personnel director are we quoting here? Perhaps the rocket scientist who worked with Casserly in Houston in taking a pass on Vince Young and Reggie Bush in last year's draft.

Media BS knows no bounds.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10048015

Ravens again step up, upgrade with McGahee

Willis McGahee wasn't always happy during his time in Buffalo. (AP)

In fewer than 24 hours, the Baltimore Ravens lost Jamal Lewis and replaced him with Willis McGahee. That's what I call trading up, and it's what makes the Ravens one of the best in the business at evaluating personnel.

A year ago, it was Baltimore that figured it had to solve a headache at quarterback. So it acquired Steve McNair and finished a franchise-best 13-3.

I don't care that they lost to Indianapolis in the playoffs. What I care about is they identified a problem, sought to address it and then solved it. So what if McNair is near the end of his career? He gave the Ravens exactly what they needed.

And so will McGahee.

Losing him is a blow to Buffalo, though you'll have a tough time convincing fans who like watching their club in Orchard Park instead of Toronto. McGahee is a versatile back, someone who can push the pile or turn the corner; a guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield; and someone who has years left on a promising career.

"He's a strong inside runner who can spill to the outside," said one AFC personnel director. "He has power, size and he's tough. He catches the ball well, and he can pass block. Baltimore likes to run the ball, and I'm sure they will give it to him a lot. And that's good because this is someone who gets better the more he does it. I think they got the back they needed."

OK, so he's not a burner. He's an improvement over Lewis, who once was one of the premier backs in the business. But he absorbed so many hits in his career that, at 27, he seems worn out and little more than ordinary -- which is one of the reasons Baltimore let him walk.

Look, Lewis has been productive over the years and was good to Baltimore. In 2003, he averaged 5.3 yards a carry, set a league record with 295 yards rushing against Cleveland and wound up with 2,066 for the season -- the second-highest total in league history.

But the past two years, he looked nothing like the back who was the 2003 Offensive Player of the Year. He averaged 3.5 yards a carry over those seasons, disappeared from games and produced only four with more than 100 yards.

In 2003, he produced 12.

Now let's look at McGahee. There is far less wear on the tires for the fifth-year back, partly because he missed his entire rookie season while rehabilitating a serious knee injury.

He's a significant upgrade for a team that can't and won't rely on the right arm of McNair to save it. The Ravens always have been about relying on an effective running game and suffocating defense, and they can stick to that formula now that they, in effect, swapped Lewis for McGahee.

"This is a good spot for him," said the personnel director. "He's out of Buffalo, which means he will be happier, and he's out to prove something."

So McGahee averaged 3.8 yards a pop the past two years. The Bills spent almost as much time moving their offensive linemen as Cincinnati does consulting parole officers. One day the right tackle is Mike Williams. Then it's Jason Peters. Then it's Terrence Pennington. There's a price to be paid for no continuity, and McGahee is one of those guys who paid it.

Yeah, I know McGahee didn't rush for 1,000 yards last season, and Lewis did. Lewis also had 55 more carries. For me, it's all about what these two have left -- and there's a lot more in Willis McGahee's tank than there is in Jamal Lewis'.

In short, I think the Ravens just pulled a coup. For the life of me, I don't know how these guys keep doing it. Other teams were interested in McGahee, but it was the Ravens who clinched the deal with three draft picks.

And that's what I like about this team: It identifies the target; then it figures out what it takes to secure it. General manager Ozzie Newsome should feel good about this move. He didn't just fill a hole; he turned a potential problem into an asset.

"Way to go, Ozzie!" coach Brian Billick said in a prepared statement. "We're getting a dynamic back who has the potential to diversify our running game. We've studied him, and he brings the same passion and preparation that is common to Miami (University of) players, like our Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Getting a player as good as Willis is another example of how Ozzie and his department size up the market and use our resources well."

And that's what this is all about. You didn't see Baltimore throwing megabucks at tired backs like Lewis, Ahman Green or Corey Dillon. The Ravens focused on McGahee. More important, they got him.

McGahee is a versatile back, someone who can push the pile or turn the corner; a guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield; and someone who has years left on a promising career.

wait a minute...did this guy watch some games I didn't watch?

I loved him watching McGahee push that pile...for a loss

So the Bills are to blame for McGahee's performance. He's out of Buffalo so he's very happy now and will have something to prove. Too much musical chairs with the offensive line. Yada yada yada.

And what personnel director are we quoting here? Perhaps the rocket scientist who worked with Casserly in Houston in taking a pass on Vince Young and Reggie Bush in last year's draft.

In fewer than 24 hours, the Baltimore Ravens lost Jamal Lewis and replaced him with Willis McGahee. That's what I call trading up, and it's what makes the Ravens one of the best in the business at evaluating personnel.

A year ago, it was Baltimore that figured it had to solve a headache at quarterback. So it acquired Steve McNair and finished a franchise-best 13-3.

I don't care that they lost to Indianapolis in the playoffs. What I care about is they identified a problem, sought to address it and then solved it. So what if McNair is near the end of his career? He gave the Ravens exactly what they needed.

And so will McGahee.

Losing him is a blow to Buffalo, though you'll have a tough time convincing fans who like watching their club in Orchard Park instead of Toronto. McGahee is a versatile back, someone who can push the pile or turn the corner; a guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield; and someone who has years left on a promising career.

"He's a strong inside runner who can spill to the outside," said one AFC personnel director. "He has power, size and he's tough. He catches the ball well, and he can pass block. Baltimore likes to run the ball, and I'm sure they will give it to him a lot. And that's good because this is someone who gets better the more he does it. I think they got the back they needed."

OK, so he's not a burner. He's an improvement over Lewis, who once was one of the premier backs in the business. But he absorbed so many hits in his career that, at 27, he seems worn out and little more than ordinary -- which is one of the reasons Baltimore let him walk.

Look, Lewis has been productive over the years and was good to Baltimore. In 2003, he averaged 5.3 yards a carry, set a league record with 295 yards rushing against Cleveland and wound up with 2,066 for the season -- the second-highest total in league history.

But the past two years, he looked nothing like the back who was the 2003 Offensive Player of the Year. He averaged 3.5 yards a carry over those seasons, disappeared from games and produced only four with more than 100 yards.

In 2003, he produced 12.

Now let's look at McGahee. There is far less wear on the tires for the fifth-year back, partly because he missed his entire rookie season while rehabilitating a serious knee injury.

He's a significant upgrade for a team that can't and won't rely on the right arm of McNair to save it. The Ravens always have been about relying on an effective running game and suffocating defense, and they can stick to that formula now that they, in effect, swapped Lewis for McGahee.

"This is a good spot for him," said the personnel director. "He's out of Buffalo, which means he will be happier, and he's out to prove something."

So McGahee averaged 3.8 yards a pop the past two years. The Bills spent almost as much time moving their offensive linemen as Cincinnati does consulting parole officers. One day the right tackle is Mike Williams. Then it's Jason Peters. Then it's Terrence Pennington. There's a price to be paid for no continuity, and McGahee is one of those guys who paid it.

Yeah, I know McGahee didn't rush for 1,000 yards last season, and Lewis did. Lewis also had 55 more carries. For me, it's all about what these two have left -- and there's a lot more in Willis McGahee's tank than there is in Jamal Lewis'.

In short, I think the Ravens just pulled a coup. For the life of me, I don't know how these guys keep doing it. Other teams were interested in McGahee, but it was the Ravens who clinched the deal with three draft picks.

And that's what I like about this team: It identifies the target; then it figures out what it takes to secure it. General manager Ozzie Newsome should feel good about this move. He didn't just fill a hole; he turned a potential problem into an asset.

"Way to go, Ozzie!" coach Brian Billick said in a prepared statement. "We're getting a dynamic back who has the potential to diversify our running game. We've studied him, and he brings the same passion and preparation that is common to Miami (University of) players, like our Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Getting a player as good as Willis is another example of how Ozzie and his department size up the market and use our resources well."

And that's what this is all about. You didn't see Baltimore throwing megabucks at tired backs like Lewis, Ahman Green or Corey Dillon. The Ravens focused on McGahee. More important, they got him.

I love that quote. God forbid he should be happy and play hard for the team that drafted him in the 1st round after he blew out his knee in college. :lol:

I figure this was what our personnel director must have told Balt. personnel director

The media cracks me up, be it Michael Smith, or even Mike and Mike this morning. Everytime they mention this trade, they metnion what an upgrade that it is for Baltimore because of McGahee's "explosiveness"!

His longest career run came last year against the Jets for 57 yards. He also had a 30 yard run against Jacksonville. Prior to last season, his longest run was 27 yards in 05, and 41 yards on 04. Not very explosive if you ask me.

The media cracks me up, be it Michael Smith, or even Mike and Mike this morning. Everytime they mention this trade, they metnion what an upgrade that it is for Baltimore because of McGahee's "explosiveness"!

His longest career run came last year against the Jets for 57 yards. He also had a 30 yard run against Jacksonville. Prior to last season, his longest run was 27 yards in 05, and 41 yards on 04. Not very explosive if you ask me.

Greenberg's happy because he knows Willis used to kill the Jets. That being said, it's unfortunate we didn't play the Jets 16 weeks last year.

I mean, it can be both things. He's probably going to be better for Baltimore than Jamal Lewis would be. Therefore, it's a good trade for them, who's desperately trying to win before the window closes on Steve McNair and Ray Lewis. He's also a misfit/discontent in Buffalo, whose not worth it anymore and the team needs a fresh start.

And so will McGahee.

In 2003, he produced 12.

When are we, as fans, going to learn the media will never get it. They haven't learned their lesson yet. They still mock Marv and think he is two steps behind. Very few have given him credit for last year's draft. No one has mentioned the Dockery signing. They only mention when they can take pop shots at the Bills and Marv. These guys have no insight and have not watched McGahee over the last two years. They claim the Bills "suddenly" have issues with him and are intolerant. They make fun of us for being sensitive about Toronto.

One more draft..then they'll see. Marv has a big plan.

Yeah sure, I'll doubt the Harvard grad who has 60 years in football and been to the Superbowl four times. Idiots!

the article isn't wrong - McGahee is a significant upgrade for them at rb. But we got good value for him this year rather than getting nothing for him next year.

Jamal Lewis Age 27

stats G GS Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds

2000 Baltimore Ravens 16 13 309 1364 4.4 6 27 296

2001 Baltimore Ravens 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0 0

2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 15 308 1327 4.3 6 47 442

2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 387 2066 5.3 14 26 205

2004 Baltimore Ravens 12 12 235 1006 4.3 7 10 116

2005 Baltimore Ravens 15 15 269 906 3.4 3 32 191

2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 314 1132 3.6 9 18 115

TOTAL 91 87 1822 7801 4.3 45 160 1365

Willis McGahee Age 25

stats G GS Att Tds Avg TD Rec Yds

2003 Buffalo Bills 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 11 284 1128 4.0 13 22 169

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 15 325 1247 3.8 5 28 178

2006 Buffalo Bills 14 14 259 990 3.8 6 18 156

TOTAL 46 40 868 3365 3.9 24 68 503

Other than age, I do not see any "signigficant" upgrade here. The major upgrade is WM contact opposed to what JL would have cost.

Sorry for the alignment woes....

Here's a report that's not quite as...kissy-kissy? :lol:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0421/1067/SPT02

Cincnnati Enquirer 03/09/07

"RB McGahee a Raven

NFL notebook

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Willis McGahee likes to refer to himself as the NFL's best running back. Let's see how he does replacing Jamal Lewis in Baltimore.

The Ravens acquired McGahee in a trade with the Buffalo Bills on Thursday, a day after Lewis signed with Cleveland. In exchange, the Bills received third- and seventh-round draft picks this year and a third-rounder next year.

"This is a runner who can make people miss and has the explosion and speed to take it the distance," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said of McGahee.

The Ravens expected McGahee to take a physical either late Thursday or today. It's anticipated Baltimore will attempt to negotiate a contract extension with McGahee, who is entering the final year of a five-year deal.

Buffalo coach Dick Jauron sidestepped questions on why the Bills decided to trade McGahee, especially considering they do not have an immediate replacement for him on their roster. Jauron said the deal was too good to pass up and that it benefited both teams.

Asked if McGahee had requested a trade, Jauron replied: "That's a good question for you to ask him."

McGahee wasn't available for comment.

Despite his claims of being the NFL's best, McGahee had yet to emerge as an elite running back in his three years as the Bills' starter.

McGahee, who missed his rookie season while recuperating from a knee injury, enjoyed his most productive season in 2004, when he had 1,128 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns. His worst season was last year, when he had 990 yards and six touchdowns rushing in 14 starts."

Here's a report that's not quite as...kissy-kissy? :lol:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0421/1067/SPT02

Cincnnati Enquirer 03/09/07

"RB McGahee a Raven

NFL notebook

"This is a runner who can make people miss and has the explosion and speed to take it the distance," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said of McGahee.

Newsome later added "as long as that distance is under 10 yards."

Newsome later added "as long as that distance is under 10 yards."

:lol:

It will be interesting how WMG does there. Having McNair (who of course gets written off every year) should be a plus for Willis - McNair being a maddening QB to defend against, with his skill in making something out of nothing.

it kills me.

Willis has been nothing but a POS the last couple of years with barely a few flashes of greatness.

He's opened his mouth and made retarded comments, he is a low character type of person.

Why aren't these media outlets painting the real picture of Willis McGahee, how does all the negative crap he has created get swept under a rug.