The steal of this years draft

Frez

I love this blurb in the article. I wish I could go back an extract all my posts from last winter when I was begging the Bills to do anything to draft this guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Roethlisberger is 6-foot-5 and 241 pounds and has a strong arm. Yet when you talk about his game, the element that jumps out at you first is his mobility. He does a remarkable job of buying time, then finding open receivers who are mindful of their quarterback's ability to move."

Guest Guest_Mike in SoFlo_*
If only cement shoes could do that. Bledsoe has a great arm, but that's where it stops.

65566[/snapback]

Cement shoes and brain to go with it. :doh:

you can't draw that conclusion after 3 games.

give me a break...

big ben might prove to be a hall of famer in time, but you can't say he was the "steal of the draft". Not yet. So far the "steal" was Roy Williams. Big Ben hasn't done things that other QBs can't do. Roy has. As a rookie.

Rick Mirer looked good in his first season also.

65858[/snapback]

Rick Mirer did not look as mature or composed as Roethlisberger has so far. I've been watching him play for the past 2.5 seasons and this guy is for real. He just does not look intimidated in the least. Some of it has to do with playing in a pro style offense at Miami, but a lot has to do with his character, I believe.

So many people have been ragging on him and I don't know why. Maybe it's because he played in the MAC, which hasn't produced any talented players (Randy Moss), especially at the QB position (Byron Leftwich, Chad Pennington, Charlie Batch). Yeah, only major colleges produce good players. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. That's a bunch of crap. To me, when people were ragging on Big Ben going into the draft, that's what they did. They didn't say he can't throw or run or make good decisions, they talked about him playing in the MAC. Garbage. It reminds me of the Tom Brady bashing a bit. We can't talk about on the field performance with Brady, so what do we do? We call him gay. Whatever.

give me a break...

big ben might prove to be a hall of famer in time, but you can't say he was the "steal of the draft". Not yet. So far the "steal" was Roy Williams. Big Ben hasn't done things that other QBs can't do. Roy has. As a rookie.

65902[/snapback]

They both can't be having good seasons?

And how can a first round pick, the 7th player taken in the entire draft, be a steal? When I think of a 'steal', I think of a lower round guy making good on his shot at the pros, like Terrell Owens going from being a 3rd round pick to being an elite WR, or Brady being a 2 time Super Bowl MVP after being drafted in the 6th round. Is Roy having the best season to date? I'd say so. But, as a first round pick, shouldn't he be? Isn't that what we've been saying is the problem with Mike Williams?

Rick Mirer did not look as mature or composed as Roethlisberger has so far.  I've been watching him play for the past 2.5 seasons and this guy is for real.  He just does not look intimidated in the least.  Some of it has to do with playing in a pro style offense at Miami, but a lot has to do with his character, I believe.

So many people have been ragging on him and I don't know why.  Maybe it's because he played in the MAC, which hasn't produced any talented players (Randy Moss), especially at the QB position (Byron Leftwich, Chad Pennington, Charlie Batch).  Yeah, only major colleges produce good players.  Riiiiiiiiiiiight.  That's a bunch of crap.  To me, when people were ragging on Big Ben going into the draft, that's what they did.  They didn't say he can't throw or run or make good decisions, they talked about him playing in the MAC.  Garbage.  It reminds me of the Tom Brady bashing a bit.  We can't talk about on the field performance with Brady, so what do we do?  We call him gay.  Whatever.

65909[/snapback]

I used to be unable to resist any opportunity to take a "gay" shot at Brady.......but now that their winning streakis still going.....and going.....and going......and we are a bunch of Ofers, it's just not fun anymore. I tell you what, though......after watching postgame interviews yesterday, I'll bet you money Chris Simms smokes the pipe......

give me a break...

65902[/snapback]

Wilfork doesn't look too shabby either. :doh:

As I recall, this is who R.Rich wanted to select. I wanted Carey, or Snee.

Wilfork doesn't look too shabby either.  :doh:

As I recall, this is who R.Rich wanted to select. I wanted Carey, or Snee.

65926[/snapback]

Wilfork was one of the guys I wanted. On draft day, as our pick was drawing near, I was hoping they'd seriously consider Tommie Harris though. I thought he could be moved to LDE and give us a reliable player out there. If we were to trade down, I was hoping we'd target Carey, but I was thinking of a trade down to where Tennessee, Seattle, or even Dallas was at and Miami traded up to #19 to take him. Damn.

Side note: I watched Shawn Andrews play at RG for Philly in the preseason and he looked unstoppable! It's too bad he got hurt and had to be put on IR. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the regular season.

give me a break...

65902[/snapback]

Ben Roethlisburger is 3-0 as a starter. That's pretty impressive to me. Keep your eye on this kid, he's a good one.

Wilfork was one of the guys I wanted.  On draft day, as our pick was drawing near, I was hoping they'd seriously consider Tommie Harris though.  I thought he could be moved to LDE and give us a reliable player out there.  If we were to trade down, I was hoping we'd target Carey, but I was thinking of a trade down to where Tennessee, Seattle, or even Dallas was at and Miami traded up to #19 to take him.  Damn. 

Side note:  I watched Shawn Andrews play at RG for Philly in the preseason and he looked unstoppable!  It's too bad he got hurt and had to be put on IR.  I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the regular season.

65938[/snapback]

If recall R.Rich was also very much against the selection of DE Will Smith, who has as many sacks (2.0) as Schobel, Kelsay and Denney have combined for this season. Not to mention according to Yahoo! he's up to 282# which is big enough to play LDE :)