Taxes - have you sent them in ?

mead107

I doubled last year's wages by exercising some company stock options (at the top, thank you very much :worthy: ).

I've got a big bill coming. :blink:

I excercised some stock options this year & they tax the sh-- out of them, something like 42%. They took it right off the top.

Uncle Sam's 50%. Sounds like you need someone to help you with tax planning.

I just use 50% as a ballpark number so that the uninitiated can wrap there heads around the concept, they can't keep all the (option) money. They're out there :blink:

Kinda like the people who think they are really going to win $44 Million in the State Lottery

I just use 50% as a ballpark number so that the uninitiated can wrap there heads around the concept, they can't keep all the (option) money. They're out there :blink:

Kinda like the people who think they are really going to win $44 Million in the State Lottery

Are you in a 50% tax bracket?

Nope - but I'm willing to ! :blink:

If you're not, and it depends on where those options were held, the gain should be taxed as ordinary income. And unless you're in a 50% bracket your taxes won't be that high. But if the exercise put you in the highest tax bracket for 2006 Uncle Sam will want a big portion but not 50%

When I start thinking about what to do with lottery winnings, I've already cut the amount in half if doing payments. For a lump some I believe it'd be closer to 60-70% gone to taxes.

Back on topic, haven't done them so they haven't been sent in, but I do expect a refund.

I owe $80. According to turbo tax, thats around exactly the amount I want each year.

Almost perfect - a perfect return would have them owing you $80. :lol:

The whole tax system is such a GD joke it makes me want to puke. I usually get a pretty good hunk of change back, only because it is hard to predict the yield from my wife's business, so I withhold too much. I have reluctantly chosen to err on the side of caution after being fined one year because I withheld too little. :lol:

A perfect system would be no taxes.

The next best thing would be everyone pays X% of their gross earned income, period.

I would consider some allowance for children you support or a select few other exemptions.

No paperwork, no loopholes, no hassle. There must be a way to make a flat tax work.

Face it you earn it, it is taxed at that time and taxed again everytime you spend it or save it.

I am sick of Uncle Sam's hand in my pocket.

You should be able to deduct sales taxes. There is a standard deduction (depending on where you live) or you can itemize ALL of the sales taxes you paid last year. In the past, I've done it by hand and saved $50-100 on taxes. This year, I took the standard (not enough large purchases).

Waiting for my check.

You can't claim the sales tax if you claim the state income tax. It's one or the other. As a resident of NY state, there's no way that sales tax is more unless one buys a car or an extremely high big ticket item that tax year. I believe Texas doesn't have a state income tax & that's why you benefit from the sales tax deduction.