Kelsay poised to cash in?

danzigdan

oh if only the internet had been around sooner. we couldve all been so happy about possibly losing phil hansen after his first 4 years.

damn you al gore! invent faster!

So now Chris Kelsey is the next Phil Hansen? Chris Kelsey registered only a half sack in the last 9 games of the Bills 2006 season. He's an average cog in a Bills defense that was pretty bad for most of the year. Lets not have delusions of granduer over Kelsey. He plays hard (see high motor) and is a good team guy, but that's no reason to way overspend on him (which some team will no doubt do). I think his production could easily be replaced by Hargrove and Denney. They were probably already going to draft a DE to develope. This team still has problems getting pressure on the QB and much of that is due to Kelsey not being that great of an athlete.

By not re-signing Clements, the Bills also make Kelsay expendable as well. Why? Because we no longer need a good rotational player at LDE, we need a dominant passrusher to complement Schobel and take the pressure off our average to bad corners. The Bills should pray that Jamaal Anderson falls to them at 12.

So now Chris Kelsey is the next Phil Hansen? Chris Kelsey registered only a half sack in the last 9 games of the Bills 2006 season. He's an average cog in a Bills defense that was pretty bad for most of the year. Lets not have delusions of granduer over Kelsey. He plays hard (see high motor) and is a good team guy, but that's no reason to way overspend on him (which some team will no doubt do). I think his production could easily be replaced by Hargrove and Denney. They were probably already going to draft a DE to develope. This team still has problems getting pressure on the QB and much of that is due to Kelsey not being that great of an athlete.

You left out....."nothing further your honor"......otherwise, well said. :wallbash:

I already posted that I don't want the Bills to spend much THIS season on free agents. Do you really believe the Bills should sign all the players you listed?

Not necessarily, but for the sake of football discussion, I am asking you to consider the premise that times have changed.

I would be very happy if they would renegotiate the contracts of Schobel, JP, and Evans. They are stars that we are in danger of losing down the road.The thing is, doing so would cost Ralph money but might even SAVE the Bills cap dollars. They would still be mandated to spend money just to meet the minimum.

You and I both want the Bills to win. We have a GM who professes to know nothing about the salary cap and has a propensity toward drafting defensive backs. Check out his years as head coach and look at just how many were taken early. Last season, he simply went to hell with himself and devoted almost all of our early picks to the secondary, giving away a precious first day pick while doing so.

This is of course the past. As for now, where do YOU want them to go? Marv is seemingly letting one of the best, most athletic corners in the NFL walk. Our LBs are shaky, and we are in danger of losing London, who can still play. What we DO have is a good rotation of Defensive Ends. Prices have gone up; this is true, but I can find no reason to let Kelsay go if keeping him is a possibility. Besides, what is the free agency status of Hargrove, his apparent replacement?

The good news is that that Marv says that the offensive line is a priority. The bad news is that we have an owner who does not want to spend money, and a GM who says that does not know how.

Either way.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not necessarily, but for the sake of football discussion, I am asking you to consider the premise that times have changed.

I would be very happy if they would renegotiate the contracts of Schobel, JP, and Evans. They are stars that we are in danger of losing down the road.The thing is, doing so would cost Ralph money but might even SAVE the Bills cap dollars. They would still be mandated to spend money just to meet the minimum.

You and I both want the Bills to win. We have a GM who professes to know nothing about the salary cap and has a propensity toward drafting defensive backs. Check out his years as head coach and look at just how many were taken early. Last season, he simply went to hell with himself and devoted almost all of our early picks to the secondary, giving away a precious first day pick while doing so.

This is of course the past. As for now, where do YOU want them to go? Marv is seemingly letting one of the best, most athletic corners in the NFL walk. Our LBs are shaky, and we are in danger of losing London, who can still play. What we DO have is a good rotation of Defensive Ends. Prices have gone up; this is true, but I can find no reason to let Kelsay go if keeping him is a possibility. Besides, what is the free agency status of Hargrove, his apparent replacement?

The good news is that that Marv says that the offensive line is a priority. The bad news is that we have an owner who does not want to spend money, and a GM who says that does not know how.

Either way.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out his years as head coach?!?!! 4 straight Super Bowls, and one of the best winning % ever.

Why are the drafts when he was head coach "his drafts"? Does that mean the drafts now are Dick Jaurons?

As far as the way I want the Bills to approach the draft, I want them to go to the draft knowing that they have about 4 different positions that are the high priorities. Linebacker, defensive lineman, offensive lineman, and running back. I want them to meet the top guys at these positions, get a feel for who they think will have the biggest and best impact on the team and position themselves to get the guys they like best. But if they are convinced a cornerback, say Darrelle Revis, is gonna be a Hall of Famer, a great leader, Deion Sanders and Ray Lewis rolled into one I'd be pissed if they passed over him to take a guard in the first round.

I doubt they will pick a conerback tho. If they fall in love with Marshawn Lynch, think he will open up the offense, think he'll be a consumate pro, I would be happy with him. We don't know any of these players really. I trust the Bills to evaluate the players. I still like the old "best player available" approach generally (remember Sam Bowie/Michael Jordan?) over drafting for need. They have holes in each area of the field.

I'll come back later to talk free agency, the sabres are on.

I trust Marv.

I predict Kelsay to make in the 3-4 million per year range on his new deal from whomever gets it to him. Free agency has a way of bloating players value, especially defenseive lineman. Hell, look at Justin Bannan, last year he signed with the Ravens for something like 3 years , 8 million. Do you remember Justin Bannan, becuase I do and the Justin Bannan I remember was barely worth a dime(although I think Tim Anderson is crappier).

Losing Justin Bannan absolutely killed our KR return wedge. If you want a reason why McGee didn't have as good a year returning kick, it's because we didn't have Bannan leading the wedge. Look at the tapes.

Losing Justin Bannan absolutely killed our KR return wedge. If you want a reason why McGee didn't have as good a year returning kick, it's because we didn't have Bannan leading the wedge. Look at the tapes.

McGee actually had just as good of a KR year this year as last. The reason everyone thinks otherwise is because he didnt take one all the way top the house. He was near the league leaders in KR avg, so its foolish to say "he didnt have a good year returning kicks"

I see Kelsay getting a nice heft contract with us this year. No matter how you cut it, he's an average to good DE and other NFL teams even in this day and age aren't going to pay obscene money to get him (nor, I think...will they pay obscene money for Fletcher...but I could be wrong about Fletcher). That being the case it is worth our money to pay him well to re-sign. I think our first effort should be to keep our defense from last year intact (although keeping Clements may be an unrealistic hope) and strenghtning the defensive line against the run. Next, strengthen the O-line in Free agency or in the draft. Those are the areas where we need major improvement. Anything else we get will provide marginal improvement at best at any other position.

I was in Tampa yesterday and the Tampa Tribune had an article emphasizing the lack of talent at DT in Free Agency. Given Gruden's being so impressed with Okoye at the Senior Bowl where he coached him, I'm a little concerned that he may address that need before we get there. I hope Branch is available to us if he goes that route.

We'll have to wait 6 days when FA begins. There's so much stuff going on behind closed doors and players with their agents trying to read the market.

It sounded like Kelsay wanted to stay in Buffalo. Unless he gets no offer or something not befitting an above average DE, well I see him staying. He's one of a group of players who've spent a full season under Jauron, Fewell, and Marv. We'll see how big a drawing card that is. For all we know, it's talk, unless we're speaking with Coy Wire.

If anybody else wants to overpay Kelsey I am fine with Denney/Hargrove at that spot. If not and we can get him back at a reasonable price, I'm happy with him back. This isn't a big deal or a key to our offseason, but he is a solid player who I'd be happy to keep if it falls into place.

McGee actually had just as good of a KR year this year as last. The reason everyone thinks otherwise is because he didnt take one all the way top the house. He was near the league leaders in KR avg, so its foolish to say "he didnt have a good year returning kicks"

:worthy: