Not A Huge Vote Of Confidence For Pennington...

Bill from NYC

First, a quick take on the press conference......

Overall, I liked it. I have never, not ever heard a Bills Executive speak so much about the OL. That could have been me up there. :worthy: He also mentioned "big plays" and lack of a "steady push." This does not fit our team, our fans, nor the climate in which we play, and Marv seems to be aware of this.

As for our free agents, I still think that he will franchise Fletcher. Ralph openly praises the man. I guess we shall see, but it makes plenty of sense from where I sit.

Wrt the OL, he emphasized (as have many on this board) that the TE is not utilized enough because they are forced to stay in and block. I am not an expert, but this is the area I look at the most when watching any game and I've gotta say that it isn"t Peters getting the bulk of the help. In fact, the best thing that Peters does imo is use his long arms and tremendous strength to push rushers to the OUTSIDE. I have seen many DEs thinking that they have a play only to be shoved wide while JP completes a pass.

Pennington is a different story. I know that he is young, etc., and I haven't complained much about TP because of this, but it seems to be bothering Marv. Levi Brown? He also seems to know that we need Guards.

I don't know how this (if at all) will get fixed. Anybody who has read but one of my posts knows that I want Steinbach to play LG for the Bills. I wanted them to draft him then, and still think that they should have.

If they cannot sign Steinbach, perhaps we can have a draft similar to 06, in which the continue to grab blockers instead of DBs. Maybe they can do it without trading up, and even trade DOWN and address other positions as well.

In all, I fell better about this situation than I did before this conference, and sit hoping that Marv will come through in terms of addressing the need that HE vocalized more than once.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill-

Pure speculation on my part...

On RG, I think he basically threw the gauntlet down for Preston. He publicly challenged him to get better, Take a big stride, as he put it. Preston will be the starting RG this year and he will have to improve.

On LG, basically, I think Gandy is gone. Also, Marv later used the example of a G when discussing free agency generally. We are going after a LG, either Steinbach or Diehlman. My guess is Diehlman as he was, I believe, a John Butler/AJ Smith pick and Marv respects their evaluation skills tremendously.

On RT, I agree, no endorsement of Pennington. Although he kind of threw down the gauntlet a bit, I think he hedged with the RFA issue. He said there's a couple of RFAs we like. Max Starks perhaps??

Just my thoughts.

Overall, I liked it. I have never, not ever heard a Bills Executive speak so much about the OL. That could have been me up there. :worthy: He also mentioned "big plays" and lack of a "steady push." This does not fit our team, our fans, nor the climate in which we play, and Marv seems to be aware of this.

As for our free agents, I still think that he will franchise Fletcher. Ralph openly praises the man. I guess we shall see, but it makes plenty of sense from where I sit.

Wrt the OL, he emphasized (as have many on this board) that the TE is not utilized enough because they are forced to stay in and block. I am not an expert, but this is the area I look at the most when watching any game and I've gotta say that it isn"t Peters getting the bulk of the help. In fact, the best thing that Peters does imo is use his long arms and tremendous strength to push rushers to the OUTSIDE. I have seen many DEs thinking that they have a play only to be shoved wide while JP completes a pass.

Pennington is a different story. I know that he is young, etc., and I haven't complained much about TP because of this, but it seems to be bothering Marv. Levi Brown? He also seems to know that we need Guards.

I don't know how this (if at all) will get fixed. Anybody who has read but one of my posts knows that I want Steinbach to play LG for the Bills. I wanted them to draft him then, and still think that they should have.

If they cannot sign Steinbach, perhaps we can have a draft similar to 06, in which the continue to grab blockers instead of DBs. Maybe they can do it without trading up, and even trade DOWN and address other positions as well.

In all, I fell better about this situation than I did before this conference, and sit hoping that Marv will come through in terms of addressing the need that HE vocalized more than once.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice post Bill. I'd agree mostly with your reaction to what Marv said. Mcnally confirmed himself in a recent quote that they now just leave Peters out "on the island" with no help because he can handle it. I'm looking DT in the first round but I certainly wouldn't be upset iwth Levi Brown to man the RT position. Here's hoping we can get atleast one nice upgrade at G!

A prior story indicated they were high on Butler challenging Pennington at RT or one of the G spots.

He was not fully recovered last year and thus they went with Pennington by default.

Butler seems to be a little light in the ass to play RT. What is he listed at, 292? He would need to seriously bulk up, wouldn't you say?

You mean you liked something a Bills' official had to say? In Buffalo the sky is falling, the Bills and Ralph have already decided to leave town--at least theat is what Schopp and B'dog are insinuating---all from a 5-10 minute Q/A session from Marv. He also referred to the Bills as "they" a couple of times..ooooohhhhhh. That definitely is code for Ralph is selling the team and doesn't care. The sports radio around here is sooooooo pathetic. But more to your point Bill---you are right. Marv is talking about the OL and that is great. I think a splash with FA and a high round pick and fill in the other two spots helps a lot. Peters-Steinbach-Fowler-Preston-Draft/Pennington..... Hey a line like that is not bad at all. I love Peters as the LT--he's athletic, strong and from all accounts very willing to learn and work hard.

Good post. Marv seemed to emphasize that the entire right side was a weakness this year. However, he does seem to be high on Brad Butler, as does OBD in general from the recent article. Plus, they think he can play both T or G. We'll probably bring in a bigger name G during FA.

Regarding the draft, Marv also said that he is not very high on rookie OL's stepping in and making a difference. (may be speculation, but to me, that eliminates a 1st rounder on the O-line) Depending on who we bring in during FA, i see us drafting a 2nd, but more likely 3rd round pick on a T or G.

This leaves butler, the rook, preston, penninton, and perhaps a vet battling to start on the right side, with peters-FA-fowler on the left.

I agree with your post Bill. I have a feeling the wallet is going to get opened in free agency for the o-line, and I suspect we'll draft an o-lineman in the first three picks...maybe even a trade down in the first to go for Blaylock. I wonder if he's keeping Fletcher, which would be a very wise move. I'm still looking for the run stuffer and like Okoye or Branch at our original one spot. From the way you describe the press conference does it sound like he is pretty happy with the TE's and hopes to free them up by strengthening the O-Line? I'd agree with him on that. All in all it sounds as if ML has a pretty good handle on the situation. Guess he's learned a thing or two in his day.

I don't see Fletcher getting an offer. From what I have heard of the PC today, he seemd to call out the DT's and Linebackers when it came to stopping the run. I think he goes LB or DT in the first couple rounds, and brings in a couple FA's like last year to compete for a spot.

And also, the sky must be falling, Bill actually likes what Marv said

I don't see Fletcher getting an offer. From what I have heard of the PC today, he seemd to call out the DT's and Linebackers when it came to stopping the run. I think he goes LB or DT in the first couple rounds, and brings in a couple FA's like last year to compete for a spot.

And also, the sky must be falling, Bill actually likes what Marv said

I agree that Fletcher WILL NOT be back. Marv and Dock respect the hell out of him but Marv said point blank that we need LB's that attack the LOS to make tackles and not just make persuit tackles. I would have loved to hear Marv address if he thought London fit this style... I believe we may go DT in Rnd 1-4 no doubt. One thing is for sure: They will go LB in Rnd 1 or 2. In fact, I bet they trade down and get an LB in round 1. Just a hunch if they don;t grab one in FA.

Also, I get a very strong feling that this will be Spike's last year with the Bills. I am guessing they feel he also does not attack the LOS well eough to play MLB. I know he was very blockable this year but he improved his ability to shed very much towards the end of the season. IMHO, he could play MLB in this D but who am I?

i don't think was not a vote of confidence for Pennington. instead, i think Levy wants to keep a player like Pennington motivated to continue working hard due to competition. competition is a good thing, especially for young players. there is nothing the Bills would hate to see more than players like Pennington resting on their laurels due to a lack of competition. only 2 jobs on the O-Line are guaranteed at this point -- Peters and Fowler. every other job should be up for grabs.

No mention of Chris Villareal either ! Did he get cut already and I missed it ?

good point - he must be as good as gone.

Also from the Butler/Pennington article it was interesting to hear that the coaching staff prefers taller guys at guard because of their better pass blocking. Steinbach totally fits this mold (6'6). I think we're actually going to make a serious run at him. Butler is actually about the exact same size as Steinbach. You can also take Josh Beekman off our draft board (6'1) for the first day.

here's the article in case anybody missed it.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4619

I am very disappointed that Preston is getting a vote of confidence somewhat, because I thought he was our WORST lineman last year, and didn't have the youth/inexperience excuse that Pennington did. Hopefully I'm proven wrong by leaps forward, and I misread his weakness

That said, I think the Butler over Pennington competition is a good one, and I'm happy with whoever emerges, but remember that there is a reason the Bills picked Butler two rounds earlier than Pennington, and the shoulder injury might be all that allowed Pennington to get above him on the depth chart this year. If you look at the tape last year, Pennington was not very good, but he is young enough to improve. It wouldn't take a whole lot for Butler to be better this year. I'll take whoever wins the competition, but I think we are settled at the tackles.

So that would seem to point to Gandy being replaced, Somebody brought in to compete with Preston, Butler/Pennington at RT, with Peters and Fowler set. It could be worse. We need to add one very good guard, and I wouldn't mind seeing Blalock as our #1 pick if he is the best player available when we choose, but otherwise I see a 2nd/3rd round pick or a notch below Steinbach free agent.

I am very disappointed that Preston is getting a vote of confidence somewhat, because I thought he was our WORST lineman last year, and didn't have the youth/inexperience excuse that Pennington did. Hopefully I'm proven wrong by leaps forward, and I misread his weakness

i don't read this as a big vote of confidence for Preston, or for Everett who was mentioned in the same breath as needing to make a leap forward. i read it as Marv saying these guys need to take a big leap forward....or else they won't have a job.

Overall, I liked it. I have never, not ever heard a Bills Executive speak so much about the OL. That could have been me up there. :blink: He also mentioned "big plays" and lack of a "steady push." This does not fit our team, our fans, nor the climate in which we play, and Marv seems to be aware of this.

HMMMMMMM- I think he indirectly BLASTED fletcher for not being the power guy we need in the middle---saying that we need less pursuit and more jamming up the middle.Bye Fletch.

I think RT will be an open competition between Butler and Pennington. If Pennington wins, Butler could take Preston's job at RG. I think we'll try and bring in Steinbach to play at LG. I kind of hope we try to re-sign Gandy as insurance at LG and LT - but I doubt we will. I could see us drafting a guard in the 2nd or 3rd - though I think another FA may be more likely since we already have some young guards on the roster in Merz, Preston, and perhaps Butler.

I think the 12th pick is way to high for Blalock. He had a rough Senior Bowl week and many believe he is not only not the best guard prospect and but is more likely a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder.

I think RT will be an open competition between Butler and Pennington. If Pennington wins, Butler could take Preston's job at RG. I think we'll try and bring in Steinbach to play at LG. I kind of hope we try to re-sign Gandy as insurance at LG and LT - but I doubt we will. I could see us drafting a guard in the 2nd or 3rd - though I think another FA may be more likely since we already have some young guards on the roster in Merz, Preston, and perhaps Butler.

I think the 12th pick is way to high for Blalock. He had a rough Senior Bowl week and many believe he is not only not the best guard prospect and but is more likely a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder.

I think your post is right on, and I don't think Blalock will make it to the draft with much chance of being the best guy available at #12.

If Blalock is available in the 2nd or 3rd, that would be a good fit for the guard you say we could take in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't think Mertz, Preston, or Butler is really a candidate for starting guard, with it not being the best position for any of them. They can definitely be backups, but I would like to draft at least one guard we think could be a starter now or in the future.