Press Conference

firstngoal

It doesn't sound like they are too interested in competing for Clements, Fletcher etc on the open market which is no surprise since Ralph has been whining about money since last season.

Marv also made it sound like the Bills aren't too interested in making a big splash in free-agency but he sounded like they will go out and sign a few Robert Royals instead.

Marv didn't give anyone the impression that the Bills are ready to do what ever it takes to get this team to the next step which wasn't a good PR move since the team just raised ticket prices but needs to renew season tickets.

I rarely agree with the guys on GR55, but they hit the nail on the head when they said that it was a very depressing presser.

Seeing that the Bills have a much tougher schedule next season, be prepared for a step backwards in '07.

:worthy:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, you can really tell how the season will go two weeks before free agency, ten weeks before the draft and six and a half months before opening kickoff. Listen, my take on Marv's press conference was that the Bills will sign a few free agents, not likely Briggs/Steinbach. The majority of your help will come from your drafts, look at the players on this team who I think make a difference, Evans, JP, Peters, Willis, Whitner, McGee, Schobel, and Clements. What do they have in common? Draft picks. Free agency Super Bowl Winners like the Redskins and Browns (last year), end up looking good on paper and not good on the field.

Look at the last two SB winners, Pittsburgh (Big Ben, Ward, Porter, Hampton, Faneca, M. Smith, Polamalu) and Indy(Manning, Wayne, Addai, Edge, Harrison, Freeney, Bob Sanders) also built in late April and not in early March.

fletcher out .

nate I think they will try to keep him .

marv not showing his hand .

if that's the case they have less than 2 weeks to sign him before other teams get a shot march 1st. My ? is are they even negotiating right now with Nate. Screw London I love him but he is way too old for the $$$ he will be seeking....

It doesn't sound like they are too interested in competing for Clements, Fletcher etc on the open market which is no surprise since Ralph has been whining about money since last season.

Marv also made it sound like the Bills aren't too interested in making a big splash in free-agency but he sounded like they will go out and sign a few Robert Royals instead.

Marv didn't give anyone the impression that the Bills are ready to do what ever it takes to get this team to the next step which wasn't a good PR move since the team just raised ticket prices but needs to renew season tickets.

I rarely agree with the guys on GR55, but they hit the nail on the head when they said that it was a very depressing presser.

Seeing that the Bills have a much tougher schedule next season, be prepared for a step backwards in '07.

Agreed!

you have to remember that we had a very inexperienced team this year. The experience the young guys got will start paying dividends this year. Seriously we had like four or five rookies starting on defense and they played well - they're just going to get better and better.

Also the first half of the year we had no O-line and JP was still trying to get it together - the second half was much better. We carry that with us into this next year.

I agree, you can really tell how the season will go two weeks before free agency, ten weeks before the draft and six and a half months before opening kickoff. Listen, my take on Marv's press conference was that the Bills will sign a few free agents, not likely Briggs/Steinbach. The majority of your help will come from your drafts, look at the players on this team who I think make a difference, Evans, JP, Peters, Willis, Whitner, McGee, Schobel, and Clements. What do they have in common? Draft picks. Free agency Super Bowl Winners like the Redskins and Browns (last year), end up looking good on paper and not good on the field.

Look at the last two SB winners, Pittsburgh (Big Ben, Ward, Porter, Hampton, Faneca, M. Smith, Polamalu) and Indy(Manning, Wayne, Addai, Edge, Harrison, Freeney, Bob Sanders) also built in late April and not in early March.

I agree good teams are built primarily through the draft. But the value of drafting well is severely diminished when you let your draft-day success stories (like Clements) walk away after their first contract is over.

Minor nitpick: Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, not a draft pick.

I agree good teams are built primarily through the draft. But the value of drafting well is severely diminished when you let your draft-day success stories (like Clements) walk away after their first contract is over.

Minor nitpick: Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, not a draft pick.

Thanks about the Peters nitpick, realized it after submitting.

I think the Bills will either re-sign Kelsay or have a long term offer for his replacement Hargrove.

As for Nate, the Bills have realized six good years from him and haven't lost him.....yet. Fletcher is aging and simply not big enough, especially behind our DL.

Just as the Colts lost Edge after his first contract and a year (or two) as a franchise designee.....

and personally I would rather take the money and proactively sign a Peters or Schobel (or Crowell and Mcgee) as the Bills have done in the past, then sign big name FAs like the Redskins....continuing on that train of thought, let's use the $30 million to extend Evans and Willis this year and/or JP if he continues to develop. Those three, to me, are much more important than a very good, but not great CB like Nate (especially in a Cover 2), and an aging, smallish MLB like Fletcher.

I really think signing a couple good OL and resigning/extending the above, along with another good draft and this team will be ready to go by the end of this year (Wild Card). Then, continue to progress while locking up the true key components of your team along the way.

Great counter to a stupid(IMO) premise in the title of this thread. THE REDSKINS WERE 5-11 LAST YEAR! What are we gonna have to do to get that through to people? There is no reason to Chicken Little over one press conference. Especially when we have results to base our opinions on: Last years draft, and FA decisions were 90% good which is much better than anyone had the right to expect. So by the logic of this thread we are going to take a step back because of a press conference? Not hardly. In fact no friggin' way. Sure there will be lots of crying when we don't draft/sign peoples' favorite players - like there was last year.

But ultimately Marv and Co. made a lot of people here, and elsewhere, eat a hell of a lot of crow - some of you still have 3-4 buckets of crow left to eat. WGR has about a truckload to munch on. For those folks, I suppose they should finish the crow they have before they start telling us how wrong/old Marv is again.

Some of you are unbelievable. How will this team be worse? Because we wont re-sign an aging Fletcher. Marv said that they are putting together a very attractive offer to NC. Do you want him to come out and say we are offering NC 6yrs at 65 mil with a 20mil signing bonus. Or did you want Marv to tell you all about the free agents he is interested in grabbing. He stated we need to get better at guard and more aggressive at LB. Thats was pretty cut and dry. Would you all be happy if he gave away the whole off season strategy and said we are keeping the guys we have and thats that. Its obvious this team needs some changes in key spots, I am glad he was vague as possible.

Who give a sh-- what 2 clowns on WGR say. They will end up contradicting themselves 10 times in the next few months. I have complete faith that Marv can put a winning team together. He has done it before.

Some of you are unbelievable. How will this team be worse? Because we wont re-sign an aging Fletcher. Marv said that they are putting together a very attractive offer to NC. Do you want him to come out and say we are offering NC 6yrs at 65 mil with a 20mil signing bonus. Or did you want Marv to tell you all about the free agents he is interested in grabbing. He stated we need to get better at guard and more aggressive at LB. Thats was pretty cut and dry. Would you all be happy if he gave away the whole off season strategy and said we are keeping the guys we have and thats that. Its obvious this team needs some changes in key spots, I am glad he was vague as possible.

Who give a sh-- what 2 clowns on WGR say. They will end up contradicting themselves 10 times in the next few months. I have complete faith that Marv can put a winning team together. He has done it before.

:worthy::pirate:

Thanks about the Peters nitpick, realized it after submitting.

I think the Bills will either re-sign Kelsay or have a long term offer for his replacement Hargrove.

As for Nate, the Bills have realized six good years from him and haven't lost him.....yet. Fletcher is aging and simply not big enough, especially behind our DL.

Just as the Colts lost Edge after his first contract and a year (or two) as a franchise designee.....

and personally I would rather take the money and proactively sign a Peters or Schobel (or Crowell and Mcgee) as the Bills have done in the past, then sign big name FAs like the Redskins....continuing on that train of thought, let's use the $30 million to extend Evans and Willis this year and/or JP if he continues to develop. Those three, to me, are much more important than a very good, but not great CB like Nate (especially in a Cover 2), and an aging, smallish MLB like Fletcher.

I really think signing a couple good OL and resigning/extending the above, along with another good draft and this team will be ready to go by the end of this year (Wild Card). Then, continue to progress while locking up the true key components of your team along the way.

You raise a number of good points. But if it's a choice between keeping Nate and keeping McGahee, I'll go with Nate. CBs last longer than RBs, and Nate's a better player anyway.

My fear is that if the Bills lose Nate, they'll end up taking a CB with their first round pick. If you look at the draft day value chart, the Bills' first round pick has more trade value than all their other picks combined. I don't want to see the Bills use up more than half their draft-day value just to tread water at CB. There are too many positions we still need to improve at. If I knew the Bills wouldn't draft a CB before the 3rd round, it would be another story.

As for Fletcher, I don't mind seeing him go.