Coy gets re-signed

i just got off the phone with my client who bought 30 tickets from me at $3,500 a pop - he left at halftime!!!

Seriously!!! What do you do for a living? Or is that it!? I'd love to hear how you got your hands on 30 tickets.....you can PM if you don't want people to know....wow, thats impressive!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's exactly the type of ...linebacker ...we...need.......long-term. ... :rolleyes:

The guy is an athlete, and we should be able to find a place for him. typical TD move, take a college LB and move him to safety. He is a good ST'r and may provide valuable depth to both the LB and S position

Seriously!!! What do you do for a living? Or is that it!? I'd love to hear how you got your hands on 30 tickets.....you can PM if you don't want people to know....wow, thats impressive!

he never said he was the one to sell him the tickets. maybe we're just reading it differently? i think this is one of his clients, whose company bought 30 tickets from the NFL? i dont know either

He was a first day draft pick as a LB.

He was a college LB who was drafted and projected to play safety in the NFL. He was not drafted with the intent to play LB at the NFL level. He is a fringe NFL player, nothing more, nothing less.

PS To those who like to proclaim that CW is a GREAT ST'er, he was not even 1st or 2nd on his own team in ST tackles. :rolleyes:

he never said he was the one to sell him the tickets. maybe we're just reading it differently? i think this is one of his clients, whose company bought 30 tickets from the NFL? i dont know either

i just got off the phone with my client who bought 30 tickets from me at $3,500 a pop - he left at halftime!!!

? Am I wrong here?

The guy is an athlete, and we should be able to find a place for him. typical TD move, take a college LB and move him to safety. He is a good ST'r and may provide valuable depth to both the LB and S position

Despite my joking around, I'm not opposed to this signing. All that is at risk for the Bills is whatever signing bonus we gave him, which I hope wasn't much. We can always decide to cut Coy later if he doesn't earn a roster spot. He seems like a great guy, and last year was his best as a Bill.

My joking is somewhat fueled by Coy being one of the talent barometers I've chosen for the Bills. Coy is consistent, though usually a step behind when I've seen him play. I'll see it as a good sign if he can't make the squad.

I was serious however that Coy is not a long term solution to our thinning LB corps. Maybe this signing helps mask our draft/FA needs, which still include a solid starting LB.

PS To those who like to proclaim that CW is a GREAT ST'er, he was not even 1st or 2nd on his own team in ST tackles. :rolleyes:

Wire was the Bills' top-ranked special-teams player last season, according to the grading system used by Bills assistant head coach Bobby April.

I never made such claims, but I'd certainly take April's evaluation over a bunch of numbers that you seem to believe holds a great deal of importance.

He was a college LB who was drafted and projected to play safety in the NFL. He was not drafted with the intent to play LB at the NFL level. He is a fringe NFL player, nothing more, nothing less.

I think this assessment means very little in terms of judging this move today as it seems based in the typical fantasy league draft assessments of several years ago.

Certainly the long ago distant past can indicate what might happen in the recent past, but it makes more sense to look at what happened just last season when making moves that impact next season.

IMHO, GW and TD made big mistakes misusing Wire as our starting SS way back when. He may have been the player to draft when they took him as the best player available (I don't know and am more than happy to get educated by those who choose to spend their time evaluating turn of the century drafts in deep detail). However, he was so poorly utilized and developed by the TD/GW regime as they strove to make up for totally misreading how much Jenkins (our alleged starting SS at the time had left) they used a miscast Wire as our starting SS and this team paid the price in his poor play.

That being said, I could see why a judgment may have been made that the was the best player available when he was chosen because he actually does seem to have a number of physical skills as outlined by Bobby April in the article about his extension and it all come in a package which got a Stanford education so it seems reasonable to conclude he is a bright guy (all of which has been demonstrated in his actions in support of local charities and his getting named ST captain a couple of years) so I think he is not horrible and untalented even though I think his results certainly have not been good as he has been miscast and poorly trained.

This resigning makes a lot of sense to me though because finally we saw a little better production out of us as Wire as a back-up LB last year rather than as a back-up SS (not to mention starting SS) which he does not do well enough to be more than frustrating.

I like April beingable to site their subjective measurement of him producing well on ST. They have forgotten more than most of us know about ST work and April has produced enough on the field that this fan is more than willing to buy what he is selling on this.

I must admit its a little hard for me because Wire has been so frustrating as an SS and then when he was thrown into ST play (getting a roughing the kicker call when he took an impossible angle to block a kick and got a penalty which kept Cincy in a game we fortunately won in OT was the low point I remember) but given April's case and actually much more productive play by him as a back-up LB last year, I think this signing deserves the benefit of the doubt from fans and may well be a good one.

What happens on the field will tell.

i like this move for consistency of quality character. i like this move for retaining a special teams LEADER. i like this move for what Coy brings at his unique hybrid position. i like this move for the quality/value aspect of it.

Coy is Marv's new Mark Pike.

You can't always chase the next big thing. Sometimes quality and consistency are the backbone. Sounds like vintage Bills or current Pats.

And those aren't bad models.

Coy Wire the linebacker is a better football player than Coy Wire the SS. Keeping Wire relieves some of the pressure at the LB position. If Spikes doesn't recover from his injury, the Bills could start Crowell in the middle with Wire and Ellison on the outside. If you keep Takeo in the lineup, Wire provides a good backup.

With Wire on board, the Bills will be better able to focus on positions other than LB in the upcoming draft.

I agree completely, this may prove to be a very good move by Marv. Wire is known for his determination and field awareness, I feel most of the times that he got owned at the SS position was more due to a lack of athletic ability for the SS position than lack of field awareness.

With a few extra pounds and his quickness the D could step up.

Coy is Marv's new Mark Pike.

You can't always chase the next big thing. Sometimes quality and consistency are the backbone. Sounds like vintage Bills or current Pats.

And those aren't bad models.

I like this notion also. I have long offered the idea that GW could make the Bills a better team by having focused right from the start of his career trying to train and develop him into being the next Steve Tasker (but even I was not quite sure how one would do this given that Wire had showed none of the ballhawk skills which helped make Tasker a worthy HOF candidate- I had hoped the Bills braintrust could find a useful ST role from him which would be different than Tasker's but useful nonetheless).

The idea of making him as critical to the ST team as Mark Pike was seems to be a doable role for him and seems to be one he has already played to some extent given that April judges him to grade out well in ST performance and the role he has held as captain of the ST unit.

Given that we signed him to a multi-year deal for which official amounts are not yet available (hey Clumpy any word on this figure) but rumour says it is a cap friendly amount, the idea that we got a Mark Pike type player is worth some cost and if he can play back-up LB this is a bonus.