Best Depressing Movie

Chilly

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wit has to be the most depressing movie ever made - at the end you wonder why the hell you just spent 2 hours watching a lonely person die from cancer - does it get more depressing?

I also like Schindler's List, Terms of Endearment, The Deer Hunter and Sophie's Choice. Schindler's List stays with you forever - that's a serious impact.

Some years ago my wife dragged me to see The Portrait of a Lady... Don't know what the hell I was thinking, guess I was still a newlywed all of two years or so???... :rolleyes:

Well, all I have to say is it was a Jane Campion (The Piano... Which in itself also ranks up there) flick... The event was especially tormenting given her style of cinematography.

Need I say... We were the only two in the movie theater...

The experience has left me personally scared and tormented...

The Departed-I heard they were making a sequel, and I wondered..how could they...everyone is dead?

The original HK version was a trilogy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369060/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374339/

The first part was what we saw in Scorcese's copy. The second part was a prequel. The third part featured the Matt Damon character being consumed by guilt. He was never killed by any Marky Mark type character in the original.

I can see a prequel being made. I cannot see a third part being done. There aren't any main characters left.

Deerhunter

The town reminded me of any of the local areas around Buffalo (Tonawanda, Lackawana) real people in a confusing world, great search for Nicky, and subsequent demise of main character.

Much of "The Deerhunter" was filmed around Cleveland. Parts of it were also filmed in Weirton, West Virginia, a dying steel town where several of my relatives and my best friend from college live.

I feld down after watching "Snakes on a Plane" and "See No Evil" back to back yesterday. DTV pay per view really should kick me back $3.99 for at least one of them. Seriously though, I thought "AI" was really well done but very depressing.

Affliction

Especially the part where Nick Nolte sets fire to the garage, with his dead father inside of it.....Nolte goes in the house, sits in the kitchen, pours himself a shot of whiskey and then looks out this gigantic window at the inferno, almost admiring his handiwork.....people who have been beaten down so badly both mentally and physically that they have lost all concept of normalcy and common sense.

I gotta say, I agree. This is one of the few movies, in my adult life, that got me choked up watching it, some of it hit very close to home...it was so depressing, I try to forget I ever saw it...