Disturbing (or at least annoying) trend..

Buftex

So, the other day, I am listening to Jimmy Johnson on GR55...he is talking Super Bowl x's and O's with the host (sorry can't remember who he was talking to) and amidst all the football talk, JJ says something like "...so Payton Manning finally got the monkey off his back against the Pats, and would seem to be poised to win his first Super Bowl...but you know what you have to do?" The host says "No, what?" JJ responds "You need to whip out your Sams' card, and buy all of your Super Bowl party supplys...they are open 7 days a week..." Right in the middle of the interview, JJ is pitching Sams' club.

Yesterday, I am listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio, interviewing Zach Thomas. I can't remember what the product was, but he does the same thing. Goes into some advertisement spiel in the middle of his interview.

Now, tonight, watching "Best Damn Spots Show" (I hate this show so much, but Jimbo was a shceduled guest!) Emmit Smith and the same Jimmy Johnson come out as guests together.

As they are taking their seats, John Sally says "Emmitt, I couldn't help but notice you were checking your cell-phone on the way out here" Emmitt chuckled and says something like "Yeah, its' a Sprint phone..." and goes into the full sales pitch, as the "Sprint.com" logo appears across the bottom of the screen....

After some banal, mindless chatter, JJ goes into his Sam's Club pitch again...to his credit, Jim Kelly tried to bust him on it ("I heard you hawking Sam's on the radio the other day too!") (

BTW, Jimbo came out on stage, to join JJ and ES, right after JJ recalled SB 27, on its' 14th anniversary. JJ said he knew the Cowboys had already beaten the best team in the NFL, when they beat the 49'ers, and wasn't too concerned about the Bills.

So, it seems every athlete is pitching something now. I realize sports are getting more and more crassly commercial every year, but when will it end? It was one thing when you had things like the "Hagar Wrinkle Free Slacks For Men Bowl", but now they slipping it into interviews as well...does sports need to rub its' commercial d*ck in our face at every turn of every corner? I swear, watching the playoffs this year, it really did feel like I was watching 4 hours of commercials, interuppted only by a few moments of football here and there. I can't wait to see the Super Bowl.....

Unfortunately it seems to be the way of the world. Part of the analysis on one of the 24 hour news networks of todays triggering of various terror alerts in Boston which shut down parts of that city which was caused by a marketing campaign for some cartoon network show was the question of whether any particular cost to Turner for this travesty was worth in terms of the amount of advertising which the show got in news stories (I know the name of the show but erased it after mentioning it in this post as my complaining about would simply become more advertising for them.

If these kinds of calculations are being made for efforts which seriously waste the time of bomb squads and other public servants then the billboarding of sports is a pretty done deal.

I must admit. it strikes me as a pit of personal hubris that the football field is called Ralph Wilson Stadium (with the County naming it that and not Ralph himself wink wink nudge nudge).

However, I was sitting there in Pilot Field and thinking it could be worse.

A number of years ago here, the Reds announcers - Brennerman and Nuxhall - were forced to stick ads into the plays..."It's a Kroeger put-out at first" , "It's P&G pop-up to left" and so forth. It only lasted a few games, because they told the radio station they'd quit if it didn't stop.

A number of years ago here, the Reds announcers - Brennerman and Nuxhall - were forced to stick ads into the plays..."It's a Kroeger put-out at first" , "It's P&G pop-up to left" and so forth. It only lasted a few games, because they told the radio station they'd quit if it didn't stop.

That's pretty bad; although the 'homerun brought to you by', or 'this trip to the bullpen sponsored by' crap has been around for a while now.

Remember when the Yankees had the Toyota car drive guys in from the bullpen back in the '80s?

This thread brought to you by the good folks at Doggie Diapers. When your pet has to take a crap and you're too lazy to take them for a walk, let us do the work.

http://www.petgadgets.com/Images/doglg1.jpg

Hey bro, my 14 yr old lab wears a rig similar to that at night. She has what is termed a "leakage" problem when she sleeps. better alternative than BARBAROing her :worthy:

Hey bro, my 14 yr old lab wears a rig similar to that at night. She has what is termed a "leakage" problem when she sleeps. better alternative than BARBAROing her :worthy:

My 18 yr old dog just passed away. She had somewhat of the same problem. They have pads you can put down on their bedding for them to lay on that works well too.