If Nate Clements leaves...

Frez

From what I could tell, he seemed to be the best cb during the last college football season, but the reports from the Senior Bowl suggest that he does not have elite speed. I am getting the feeling that there may not be a cb prospect worth taking at #12, but we will see.

... the past makes you think so ... the drafting of conerbacks in the first round during the 90's ... fills an obvious hole in the defence like the Witner pick did last year ... however, it be nice to see the Bills "make do" without a number one CB (like the Patriots do) and apply that number one somewhere else ... a number one pick in the secondary MAY be an overated need on defence ... run and stop the run I think ... DT in the first round, OG in the second round ...

Yes we should get Hall

That way he can develop into a star so he can leave after 4 years. Like everyone else we draft on this team because our owner cant think or build a team anymore.

Sign Nate and quite being a farm team for the rest of the league, thats called keeping your core, thats call REBUILDING!

This team will be losers until they figure that out or until we can get some ownership who know what the hell is going on around him.

From what I could tell, he seemed to be the best cb during the last college football season, but the reports from the Senior Bowl suggest that he does not have elite speed. I am getting the feeling that there may not be a cb prospect worth taking at #12, but we will see.

Maybe trade down and grab a CB prospect in the 20s--like we did when we drafted Nate.

If NC is gone, we most certainly will draft a CB in the 1st and/or 2nd rounds.

If we lose Nate Clements to FA we have to assume the Bills will select Leon Hall CB if he's still on the board.

Don't we? :rolleyes:

They drafted Clements' replacement in the third round last year. There is no way the Bills will draft a defensive back within the first three picks this year. 3 of the first four picks went to DBs last year and you don't keep drafting one position if you want to build a well rounded team. The Bills will concentrate on the trenches with the first two picks with the 3d going for a LB, DE, RB, or WR.

If Youboty isn't the answer this year, the Bills will draft a CB high in 2008 draft. But they have to give him the chance seeing how they used a 3rd on him (he was rated as a 2nd round pick).

They drafted Clements' replacement in the third round last year. There is no way the Bills will draft a defensive back within the first three picks this year. 3 of the first four picks went to DBs last year and you don't keep drafting one position if you want to build a well rounded team. The Bills will concentrate on the trenches with the first two picks with the 3d going for a LB, DE, RB, or WR.

If Youboty isn't the answer this year, the Bills will draft a CB high in 2008 draft. But they have to give him the chance seeing how they used a 3rd on him (he was rated as a 2nd round pick).

Based on Youboty's inactivity this season during games, I think you're wrong.

As for Leon Hall, as I've said before, he's probably too slow to warrant a top 15 pick. There isn't a CB worth taking that high this year. No Pacman Jones available.

... the past makes you think so ... the drafting of conerbacks in the first round during the 90's ... fills an obvious hole in the defence like the Witner pick did last year ... however, it be nice to see the Bills "make do" without a number one CB (like the Patriots do) and apply that number one somewhere else ... a number one pick in the secondary MAY be an overated need on defence ... run and stop the run I think ... DT in the first round, OG in the second round ...

I agree that it would be nice to see the Bills survive without a big #1 CB.

the Pats do have a great CB though, Asante Samuel, he was top 5 in many categories this year

Yes we should get Hall

That way he can develop into a star so he can leave after 4 years. Like everyone else we draft on this team because our owner cant think or build a team anymore.

Sign Nate and quite being a farm team for the rest of the league, thats called keeping your core, thats call REBUILDING!

This team will be losers until they figure that out or until we can get some ownership who know what the hell is going on around him.

Your philosophy of building a core is a foreign idea to Ralph it appears.

Buffalo and San Fran are the NFL's entire farm system.

It only goes downhill from here.

Maybe trade down and grab a CB prospect in the 20s--like we did when we drafted Nate.

If NC is gone, we most certainly will draft a CB in the 1st and/or 2nd rounds.

That's the only way I can see Marv taking a CB with the first round pick. But at #12 I don't think so.

We need to get over the fact that Nate's leaving and either Youboty or Thomas will be the replacement. Marv and Dick drafting a corner within the first three picks would basically be them throwing in the towel on Youboty being ever being starter (he was drafted in the thrid round which means he was drafted to be a starter). This is not going to happen. Youboty will be given the chance to become the starting corner, like it or not.

Now given that the Bills are in a division that's extremely low on deep receiving threats (the Bills are the only team in our division that has one), the Bills need to beef up the the defensive interior line and linebacking core to stop the opposing teams running games. Part of the reason Nate had a good year was the fact that teams didn't bother with the pass since it was so easy to run on us. They also have to draft at least one maybe two offensive lineman on the first day to help our pitiful running game. Do not count on the Bills picking a cornerback on the first day of this draft.

If Whitner and Simpson can fall in line and nail down a starting position, why shouldn't Youboty be able to do it also. I'm glad he'll be given the chance and look foward to seeing him play.

The reason I don't think we're drafting a CB #1 is that even if we do, he's very likely not going to start day one. It will be either Thomas or Youboty, because they have the experience in the system. And Youboty is a first round talent that just needs the experience. And if he plays close to that potential, which they obviously believe he will, the CB, whomever he is, is a luxury we cannot afford, even though you can never have enough good CBs. We already have a couple decent nickel and dime guys.

Yes we should get Hall

What about Youboty

Yea, what about him? <_<

What's with the rolling eyes? Seriously, what's your beef with this player? You started this thread obviously discountling Youboty and then decline to explain why you have a problem with him?

Simpson, Whitner, Pennington, Williams were all given the opportunity to start with positive results. Why on earth would you have a problem with Youboty being given that chance?

Here's a refresher...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/youboty_ashton

You know what happens when you assume.

Actually I like the idea someone had about the Bills going after Travis Fisher, who will be an UFA from the Rams. If he can stay healthy, he'd be a good addition.

Part of the reason I originally brought him up is feel he could be a bargain but at the same time I'd much rather have Nate. Though if had to choose Fisher or a rookie or Youboty I'd definately go with Fisher.

Based on Youboty's inactivity this season during games, I think you're wrong.

As for Leon Hall, as I've said before, he's probably too slow to warrant a top 15 pick. There isn't a CB worth taking that high this year. No Pacman Jones available.

Heck, let's not forget when we took Nate five years ago he was the top CB taken at #21. I agree Hall's not worth pick #12 this year. If we do lose Nate would prefer signing a veteran (Nick Harper or Travis Fisher are on my short list now) to replacement but if choose to take someone in the draft prefer if we could trade down and come away with Marcus McCauley, Daymeion Hughes or Darrelle Revis.

Yes we should get Hall

cheers to this post