Nate Clements on WGR

inkman

Unrestricted free agent cornerback Nate Clements joined the Howard Simon Show to speak about where he'll be playing next year, what's important to him, and the Bills.

Clements said there haven't been any discussions between his agent and the Bills, nor anything during the season. He said he isn't surprised by the lack of contact, and that there's no rush since he's waited so long to be an unrestricted free agent.

"Free agency hasn't really started, plus towards the end of the season (they said) they made sure they would keep in contact with me," Clements said.

Clements said there's a chance he could be back in a Bills uniform, but that he has an agreement with the team that Buffalo will apply the franchise tag to him.

"There's definitely a chance I'll be back," he said. "I took care of my part on the field. I'm just letting the chips fall in place now."

"This is where I started my career. They gave me the opportunity and I've been used to the atmosphere, used to playing for just one team. The business part of it, financially, they're capable of keeping me if they want."

The average salary of the top five paid cornerbacks in 2006 was $5.8 million. The top ten paid: 4.7 million. In 2004, Denver's Champ Bailey signed the largest contract for a corner in NFL history at seven years, $63 million.

Of the 2006 free agents, the largest contract went to Charles Woodson of Green Bay, who signed for seven years, $52 million, including a $10.5 million signing bonus. Other corners who received notable signing bonuses are Antoine Winfield ($11 million), Anthony Henry ($11.6 million) and Gary Baxter ($10.5 million).

Clements said it isn't all about the money, that winning and his family are a big part of the equation.

"It's a consideration, as far as going to a team that's already been there, or one step away from the Super Bowl," he said. "I'm a competitor and I hate losing. I just love to win."

Clements feels the Bills have the intensity to win, that season felt the same as 2004, when they missed the playoffs by one game. He also said Buffalo plays another role in his decision.

"It's a lot different for me than it was five, six years ago," he said. "I have to factor in my family. This could be probably the last contract of my career."

On the rumors of his joining Gregg Williams and Jerry Gray in Washington, he said there's definitely a possibility because of the history. He said there's no team, division or conference where he wouldn't play.

In 96 career games, the sixth-year corner out of Ohio State has recorded 447 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 87 passes defended, 23 interceptions and 13 forced fumbles. He's returned 5 interceptions for touchdowns, and also returned a punt for six points.

Clements has suited up for every game of his career in Buffalo. His season-high for tackles was 81, in 2005, while his high mark for interceptions is six, in 2002 and 2004. The only year he didn't return a pick for a touchdown is 2005.

The former first round, 21st overall pick made his only Pro Bowl in 2004.

Clements said there's a chance he could be back in a Bills uniform, but that he has an agreement with the team that Buffalo will apply the franchise tag to him.

I thought there was an agreement that he would not have the franchise tag placed on him. Is this a typo?

Must be a typo. Interesting that Baxter and Henry each received signing bonuses in excess of $10 million. Clements is a superior cb. I would expect with the majority of teams significantly under the cap, he will get at least a $12 million signing bonus (and possibly $15 million or more).

Bills need to step up.

I was thinking the same thing....has to be a typo...or if not, maybe keeping NC can really happen then

If it were an agreement that NC would automatically be franchised, he should immediately fire his agent and kick his own ass.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest this a case in point that no one invests in copy editors anymore, to the detriment of accurate reporting.

"It's a lot different for me than it was five, six years ago," he said. "I have to factor in my family. This could be probably the last contract of my career."

Athlete-speak for "I will sign wherever for the most money." I think he's gone. He's earned a big payday, and he has to take advantage of it. I'd probably take the most money also...

Hey, wait a minute, I thought WGR doesn't talk about the Bills......

Athlete-speak for "I will sign wherever for the most money." I think he's gone. He's earned a big payday, and he has to take advantage of it. I'd probably take the most money also...

Hey, wait a minute, I thought WGR doesn't talk about the Bills......

Taking care of family=I'm signing for the most jack

Simon was begging Clements to say he won't be coming back to the Bills. He was flat out harrassing him into that answer. It was annoying to listen to frankly. However, I'm glad he did it because Nate did NOT take the bait. In fact, Nate corrected him several times saying he would indeed come back if the offer is right.

Does this mean he will? No. But this interview (listening more than reading it) gives me more hope than I've had in a few months. At the very least I know that Nate hasn't written the Bills off and is considering the improvement made to the team this season with the new staff and players. And everything the team has said makes me believe they are not going to let him go without putting up a fight.

Here's a scenario I think that could unfold:

Nate all but said he was going to take his time in FA -- and not be a midnight signing. That's great. If the Bills can make a splash early and sign one or two guys (say A.Thomas from Baltimore) that shows they are commited to winning in '07, it might be enough to lure Nate back at a home town discount -- even if that discount is slim.

Simon was begging Clements to say he won't be coming back to the Bills. He was flat out harrassing him into that answer. It was annoying to listen to frankly. However, I'm glad he did it because Nate did NOT take the bait. In fact, Nate corrected him several times saying he would indeed come back if the offer is right.

Does this mean he will? No. But this interview (listening more than reading it) gives me more hope than I've had in a few months. At the very least I know that Nate hasn't written the Bills off and is considering the improvement made to the team this season with the new staff and players. And everything the team has said makes me believe they are not going to let him go without putting up a fight.

Here's a scenario I think that could unfold:

Nate all but said he was going to take his time in FA -- and not be a midnight signing. That's great. If the Bills can make a splash early and sign one or two guys (say A.Thomas from Baltimore) that shows they are commited to winning in '07, it might be enough to lure Nate back at a home town discount -- even if that discount is slim.

As always, it is good to be hopeful. I try to be and really hope we can keep Nate even at Champ Bailey money b/c I think he'd be worth it for at least 5 yrs. That said, I dont think Marv/ralph will offer that much AND I believe he wants to try to go to Houston or Washington or another team closer to his Houston home with a team that WILL pay the maybe better than Champ money. I believe he will be gone and Marv will focus on rebuilding the DL and LB which are the corner stone of the Cover 2, along with our already young strong Safeties. Lets face it, how many very good CB's are on Chicago and Indy in the Super Bowl. The heart of their D's is in LBs and DL's, right?

I am postive we will be getting younger (see Draft '07) at LB and younger at DL (see Draft '07) in at least 2 of our first 4 picks. I'd say the Bills brass would consider their draft as not going the way they planned at all, if they did not get help at those two areas in the first 4 picks.

I won't say the Bills ignore CB in the draft but I am now leaning (I have previously posted I thought we'd go CB like Revis (Pitt) or Hall (Michigan) if M Lynch was not available at 12 but now I believe (strongly) they would take Lynch or a DL or LB they love at 12 or lower (if an LB). God love him, but all of us chagrined, if Marv takes a reach (good player but available lower) at 12 this year!

Peace. go Bills!

The fact that thay are or aren't going to use it?

I was referring to the fact that Nate did not appear to state he and the Bills agreed that the Bills would not use the transition tag.

If we can use that tag, we still have some leverage or at least the ability to get compensation for him.