Hockey does NOT belong in the SOUTH!

NavyBillsFan

As soon as the country music acts were over (hockey/country music connection :thumbdown: ) people were leaving......

Around about 10 minutes left in the third, people were running out the door.

I dont understand this big pecker Bettman has over these southern states. They keep pushing and pushing and IT DONT WORK!!! People are not showing up and most dont care.....

Take Carolina last season (playoffs/cup) Need a ticket? Not a problem! Most of the thousands of Sabres fans who showed up for the games there walked right up to the ticket office AT GAME TIME.

Game seven - Eastern Conf. Finals.... Me and PTR were pissing ourselves laughing at how many tickets were left for the game. On top of that, Buffalo OWNED that parking lot! Great time and a great party! I cant wait to hang with Corp and the guys again...

So I guess to sum it all up. There are bunches of Northern states and cities who want teams and with the new CBA, Canadian teams can make money with their team without getting killed with taxes. Move these teams to cities to deserve them. Nothing would be better to see some of those old teams comes back to the NHL.... I think this would really make the NHL strong again.

So I guess to sum it all up. There are bunches of Northern states and cities who want teams and with the new CBA, Canadian teams can make money with their team without getting killed with taxes. Move these teams to cities to deserve them. Nothing would be better to see some of those old teams comes back to the NHL.... I think this would really make the NHL strong again.

Which "northern cities" are you referring to. The market looks pretty tapped out to me.

As soon as the country music acts were over (hockey/country music connection :thumbdown: ) people were leaving......

I dont understand this big pecker Bettman has over these southern states. They keep pushing and pushing and IT DONT WORK!!! People are not showing up and most dont care.....

Take Carolina last season (playoffs/cup) Need a ticket? Not a problem! Most of the thousands of Sabres fans who showed up for the games there walked right up to the ticket office AT GAME TIME.

Game seven - Eastern Conf. Finals.... Me and PTR were pissing ourselves laughing at how many tickets were left for the game. On top of that, Buffalo OWNED that parking lot! Great time and a great party! I cant wait to hang with Corp and the guys again...

My honest impression is that it's a bit like the circus or a good movie to locals around here. Everyone wants to go see what it's all about, but once you've seen it once, there's not much point in going again. There are a few exceptions, but right, it hasn't taken off. Throw in the fact that so many people in cities like Atlanta and Raleigh are transplants and the home-team fan base is as small as it was 30 years ago. People don't just switch teams because they move to a different city.

In the office I'm sitting in right now? Buffalo, Oklahoma, Atlanta, Bronx, and one from Santa Barbara. Guess which two are hockey fans. Double points if you can guess the teams.

-Jeff

My honest impression is that it's a bit like the circus or a good movie to locals around here. Everyone wants to go see what it's all about, but once you've seen it once, there's not much point in going again. There are a few exceptions, but right, it hasn't taken off. Throw in the fact that so many people in cities like Atlanta and Raleigh are transplants and the home-team fan base is as small as it was 30 years ago. People don't just switch teams because they move to a different city.

In the office I'm sitting in right now? Buffalo, Oklahoma, Atlanta, Bronx, and one from Santa Barbara. Guess which two are hockey fans. Double points if you can guess the teams.

-Jeff

Sabres Rangers?

Listen, I would love to see some of the defunct teams like Quebec, Hartford, and Winnipeg make a return to the NHL...and I know people have a hard time dealing with the fact there are teams in the South/SouthWest...but you know what folks...we can sit here and B word about it all day...but it will not change anything.

IMO there are many reasons why it is so difficult to sell hockey in non-traditional hockey markets. Here are some reasons I believe it is harder now then ever:

1. National Sports Media/Talk Shows- Let's run down a small list of the major shows around the country and comment on that person(s) interest in the NHL:

A. Mike and Mike- Greenburg will look for any reason to trash the NHL, I am not sure if Golic even knows 10 current NHL players.

B. Colin Cowherd (aka Cownerd)- Hates hockey, this holier then thou host think his opinion makes the sports world go around. Memo to Colin: It does'nt.

C. Dan Patrick- I do not recall in my limited time listening to Dan hearing his comments about the NHL...and I doubt Dan is reall interested in talking about Crosby or Ovechkin.

So let's face it: If these boneheads are not talking about the NHL, and so many sports fans listen to these guys and are greatly influenced by what they say....do you think some guy in Georgia is going to really take interest in the NHL if he does not hear about it?

What if he did?? Would it change things? I bet it would...

Before the sports radio explosion, there were teams around the NFL in 'non traditional' NFL cities that struggled with attendence, etc...now look at them...Seattle...Atlanta...etc...they are doing great right now. Granted winning changes things...but I believe the influence of sports media has greatly impacted the boom of the NFL in places where it struggled.

As soon as the country music acts were over (hockey/country music connection :thumbsup: ) people were leaving......

Whether or not fans show up to the games, the teams in the south still make money.

Listen, I would love to see some of the defunct teams like Quebec, Hartford, and Winnipeg make a return to the NHL...and I know people have a hard time dealing with the fact there are teams in the South/SouthWest...but you know what folks...we can sit here and B word about it all day...but it will not change anything.

IMO there are many reasons why it is so difficult to sell hockey in non-traditional hockey markets. Here are some reasons I believe it is harder now then ever:

1. National Sports Media/Talk Shows- Let's run down a small list of the major shows around the country and comment on that person(s) interest in the NHL:

A. Mike and Mike- Greenburg will look for any reason to trash the NHL, I am not sure if Golic even knows 10 current NHL players.

B. Colin Cowherd (aka Cownerd)- Hates hockey, this holier then thou host think his opinion makes the sports world go around. Memo to Colin: It does'nt.

C. Dan Patrick- I do not recall in my limited time listening to Dan hearing his comments about the NHL...and I doubt Dan is reall interested in talking about Crosby or Ovechkin.

So let's face it: If these boneheads are not talking about the NHL, and so many sports fans listen to these guys and are greatly influenced by what they say....do you think some guy in Georgia is going to really take interest in the NHL if he does not hear about it?

What if he did?? Would it change things? I bet it would...

Before the sports radio explosion, there were teams around the NFL in 'non traditional' NFL cities that struggled with attendence, etc...now look at them...Seattle...Atlanta...etc...they are doing great right now. Granted winning changes things...but I believe the influence of sports media has greatly impacted the boom of the NFL in places where it struggled.

I agree 100%. ESPN tells us both directly (e.g., Cowherd and company) and indirectly (lack of coverage on SC) that hockey sucks and "nobody" cares about it, and the country believes it. Talk about Pavlonian.

There are so many people who have never even been to a game who routinely send hilarious e-mails to people like Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd (as soon as a hockey-bashing segment is over) that say things like, "The lockout's over?" and "What is this hockey you speak of?" and "Jim, we'll be watching the All-Star Game tonight. Signed, crickets"

I know there's more to it than this, but if the national media threw the NHL a bone every once in a while the way it does the NFL and NBA, you'd probably see people's perspectives about hockey change.

I agree 100%. ESPN tells us both directly (e.g., Cowherd and company) and indirectly (lack of coverage on SC) that hockey sucks and "nobody" cares about it, and the country believes it. Talk about Pavlonian.

There are so many people who have never even been to a game who routinely send hilarious e-mails to people like Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd (as soon as a hockey-bashing segment is over) that say things like, "The lockout's over?" and "What is this hockey you speak of?" and "Jim, we'll be watching the All-Star Game tonight. Signed, crickets"

I know there's more to it than this, but if the national media threw the NHL a bone every once in a while the way it does the NFL and NBA, you'd probably see people's perspectives about hockey change.

Good point about Jim Rome as i forgot about that tool as well....

Did it bother me that the Sabres lost to a Canes team that really has no hockey tradition? Somewhat yes...but you know what? There was a time that the Sabres were one of those teams too in the mid 70's and they started to win.

But some of these non-traditional markets have some very marketable players:

Carolina: Eric Staal

Columbus: Rick Nash

Tampa Bay: Martin St Louis, Vincent Lecalavier

Atlanta: Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk

San Jose: Joe Thornton

Anaheim is LOADED with young talent that will florish....Bobby Ryan just to name one...

The NHL NEEDS to turn the focus on promoting these players and the NHL media needs to do the same....and stop focusing on not being able to get into the NHL because it is 80 degrees outside.

IMO idiots like Cownerd and Rome trash the NHL due to lazy journalism...they do not want to take the time to know about the NHL...so they take the easy road and trash it...hoping for an NHL fan to call up complaining for "good radio" It is a joke, and some NHL fans fall for the bait.

Take a look at this article about what Mark Cuban says about the NHL:

Cuban

Highights:

"The NHL has just got to give themselves more credit," he said. "They've got an inferiority complex right now, and I think they've got to overcome that."
"People in the States underestimate (hockey)," he said. "More people watch Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights than watch NBA basketball on Thursday night in the States. People in the U.S. don't realize that. They don't realize there are more hockey fans in a country of (32.8) million than there are NBA fans in the U.S. (population 300 million).

"I'd be out there promoting the NHL's combined TV viewership in the U.S. and Canada. But it doesn't happen."

Good point about Jim Rome as i forgot about that tool as well....

San Jose: Joe Thornton

Anaheim is LOADED with young talent that will florish....Bobby Ryan just to name one...

The NHL NEEDS to turn the focus on promoting these players and the NHL media needs to do the same....and stop focusing on not being able to get into the NHL because it is 80 degrees outside.

IMO idiots like Cownerd and Rome trash the NHL due to lazy journalism...they do not want to take the time to know about the NHL...so they take the easy road and trash it...hoping for an NHL fan to call up complaining for "good radio" It is a joke, and some NHL fans fall for the bait.

Take a look at this article about what Mark Cuban says about the NHL:

Cuban

Highights:

Just a mention. Sharks draw very well and sell out most games. Very hard to get a hold of quality seats. As far as Cownerd and Rome go, who cares? The older I get the more I realize that the media and the general population as a whole dont have a clue. They eat what there fed if its promoted and hyped well enough. In the U.S. NFL is god and next to basketball, may be the worst entertainment product out there. Honestly, watch the games when you are not affiliated to it in any way. That is, not a Bills game or a game that you are involved with fantasy team or wager wise. The commerical breaks are out of hand. Boring as hell. Out of a 3hr telcast you may get 30mins where you are actually interested. The other time your switching channels or hitting the washroom or getting something to eat. The NFL is not as good a product that it is percieved.

Back in the late '60s, when the NHL expanded to 12 teams, Jack Kent Cooke (yes, the former Skins owner), noted there were 200,000 Canadian transplants in southern California, so he thought the Kings were a good investment and bought in.

When nobody showed up at The Forum in LA to watch his new team, Cooke replied: "Now I know why all these people left Canada...they hate hockey." :thumbsup:

Dallas currently has over 5000 high school kids playing hockey. Before the Stars moved there, they had ZERO. That's a huge number of people being drawn to the sport in a short period of time.

If you have the All Star game on a school night, people are going to leave early. I don't have a problem with hockey being played in the South - it gives all the northerners who have fled the tax tyrrany of their home states something to be happy about.

Dallas currently has over 5000 high school kids playing hockey. Before the Stars moved there, they had ZERO. That's a huge number of people being drawn to the sport in a short period of time.

If you have the All Star game on a school night, people are going to leave early. I don't have a problem with hockey being played in the South - it gives all the northerners who have fled the tax tyrrany of their home states something to be happy about.

And haven't the Stars sold out almost every home game in Dallas since they moved there?

Back in the late '60s, when the NHL expanded to 12 teams, Jack Kent Cooke (yes, the former Skins owner), noted there were 200,000 Canadian transplants in southern California, so he thought the Kings were a good investment and bought in.

When nobody showed up at The Forum in LA to watch his new team, Cooke replied: "Now I know why all these people left Canada...they hate hockey." :thumbsup:

Well, as hard as it is to believe, even some of us Canadians are not too bright. Excluding myself of course.

i call BS on this, I am in richmond and not a hockey fan, but i know that carolina fans are nuts about thier team, and about walking up and buying tix...several freinds here would be pissed to find that out because they tried and i enlisted my sister in cary nc and the usually 12.00 tickets were going for 75 and there were none to be found. Hockey belongs wherever hockey fans exist, be they northern hockey fans or fans experiencing it for the first time!!!

As soon as the country music acts were over (hockey/country music connection :thumbsup: ) people were leaving......

My honest impression is that it's a bit like the circus or a good movie to locals around here. Everyone wants to go see what it's all about, but once you've seen it once, there's not much point in going again.

That's pretty much the deal around here also. I've been to one hockey game in my life, and it was cool and all, but it was nothing to write home about, don't plan on going again. You guys up north can have hockey, because the south is football country.