My 5 month old going to daycare for first time

HelloNewman

My little girl and first child at 5 months is starting home daycare for the first time next Monday with a good provider. Both my wife and I are an emotional mess over it because she is our little peanut and she will be the youngest one there....any advice to help with the snot and tears already taking its toll? Thanks :worthy::lol:

My little girl and first child at 5 months is starting home daycare for the first time next Monday with a good provider. Both my wife and I are an emotional mess over it because she is our little peanut and she will be the youngest one there....any advice to help with the snot and tears already taking its toll? Thanks :worthy::lol:

Both my kids went through the Daycare system. We too were an emotional mess but came to find that they were having fun. True the fun is limited for a 5 month old but the really do have fun and interacting with the other kids. My kids cried and we were told that the crying stopped by the time we pulled away. Still a rough situation but Im sure your child will be fine.

My kids are now 13 and 10 and they have turned out fine. High school this year for the 13 year old but it seems like yesterday that she was in daycare.

Best of luck!

Tom

My son has been at an in home daycare since he was 4 months old. It was tough at first, especially for my wife, but he really has been better off for it. There are advanatges to being the youngest one as well, by being around slightly older kids all day long my son is really advanced for his age. He knew the entire alphabet and could count to 10 by 18 months.

My 3 month old just started daycare a week ago. Although my wife is only a floor away from the daycare, it wasn't any easier. She visits him at least once a day. She started out visiting 3x per day but realized that he was in good hands and was happy. Every time she visits he is either in a bouncy chair, working on tummy time or napping.

He's been able to adjust very well so far. The only difference is that he gets tired even earlier in the evening. We can't keep him up past 7:30pm. He sleeps until 5-5:30am.

PM me with any questions. As a first time dad who just went through this, I might be able to shed some light.

Remember to take your binky to work with you and you'll be fine!

Seriously...I'm sure you've done your homework on the provider. Do they have webcams so you can check in when you want to? That will help ease the transition for you. Daycare is definitely harder on the parents than the child.

My son has been at an in home daycare since he was 4 months old. It was tough at first, especially for my wife, but he really has been better off for it. There are advanatges to being the youngest one as well, by being around slightly older kids all day long my son is really advanced for his age. He knew the entire alphabet and could count to 10 by 18 months.

I know this seems great and all... I always wondered if learning stuff like this at this age was really and advantage later in development?... Or is it just quanatative stuff that parents like to see happening in their kids?

I have a 2 1/2 year old niece that knew how to log onto the internet and find stuff... Shouldn't we be concerned with stuff like speech issues and other things at that stage of development and make the normal progression up?

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate the benefits... But, are they all cracked up to what they appear?...

The big thing is getting ready for kindergarten... Being able to hold a pencil correctly and all that jazz like being read too everyday... Not necessary for them to do the actual reading at the pre-kindergarten ages...

Unless you can build on it early... I don't see the practical advantage and eventually learn it anyway at an older stage.

Not to open up an argument... Aren't you just setting up your kid to eventually "regress to the mean?"

What is with this "leg-up" mentality?

:lol::lol::worthy:

Our son has been in daycare since he was three months old; which has been more than a year(!) now. He travels with my wife because his daycare is the same direction/city as my wife's job. Sending him to daycare I see as a socially rewarding experience for him. There's only so much that we as parents can provide him; being with other kids (most of the 6-8 are older than he is) allows him to interact with kids and hopefully grow mentally.

Missing my son during the day just makes it more special when I get home and see him; he usually waddles his way over and wants me to pick him up, to which he gets a big hug from dad.

Both my wife and I are an emotional mess over it because she is our little peanut and she will be the youngest one there....any advice to help with the snot and tears already taking its toll?

I'm afraid you are beyond help, but fortunately your kid(s) are more resilient and adaptable than you are.

Fwiw it's going to be a lot less traumatic on the girl than it is you. So for gawd's sake cowboy up and start providing your daughter a role model for strength and confidence instead of self-indulgent eyebawling!

Not to open up an argument... Aren't you just setting up your kid to eventually "regress to the mean?"

What is with this "leg-up" mentality?

:lol::lol::(

To be honest I don't know if it's good or bad. He certainly isn't being pushed by us or his daycare provider to do these things, he is just picking them up because of the activities she does with the older kids. My wife is a pediatric nurse practitioner and she tells me that he is slightly advanced for his age, otherwise I would have just thought all of this was normal since this is my first child. If his dad is any indication though there is certainly a good shot that he will regress to the mean as he gets older. ;)

To be honest I don't know if it's good or bad. He certainly isn't being pushed by us or his daycare provider to do these things, he is just picking them up because of the activities she does with the older kids. My wife is a pediatric nurse practitioner and she tells me that he is slightly advanced for his age, otherwise I would have just thought all of this was normal since this is my first child. If his dad is any indication though there is certainly a good shot that he will regress to the mean as he gets older. :lol:

:(

Same here...

You know, it is funny, according to parents all over this country, whenever they are talking about their own kids you always hear, "oh their special, or my kid is advanced". Especially when they are 1-4 yrs old. You never hear the parents say, "Yeah, my kid is a real moron".

Statistically speaking kids that attend day care are more prepared for kindergarten, which really sets the building blocks and expectations for the rest of the students school career. There is more of a correlation with parent involvement in creating a learning environment that fits the child's needs to future academic success. But as long your child is progressing well and you keep involved, you and your child should be fine.

I have done a few research papers in relation to this topic. If you want to ask any more questions PM me

My 3 month old just started daycare a week ago. Although my wife is only a floor away from the daycare, it wasn't any easier. She visits him at least once a day. She started out visiting 3x per day but realized that he was in good hands and was happy. Every time she visits he is either in a bouncy chair, working on tummy time or napping.

He's been able to adjust very well so far. The only difference is that he gets tired even earlier in the evening. We can't keep him up past 7:30pm. He sleeps until 5-5:30am.

PM me with any questions. As a first time dad who just went through this, I might be able to shed some light.

I wish I could go there instead of the kids

Sounds like alot more fun then sitting in my office at work all day, and posting on a message board